BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 10h, 31m | CPU: 58% | MEM: 6400MB of 11087MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows Vista, is it really that good?        Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
well ive been using it for about 4 weeks, now. Any I have had so many problems,

DvdSanta don't work.
My Scanner a Mustek 1200Ub and my Bluetooth adaptor barely works.
And for crashes Firefox stalls all the time, not to mentation the slow loading time with Music with the built in Windows Media Player.

look like Im going to Downgrade back to XP Pro.

Does anyone have any comments on this ?

Do you have any problem with it ?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:56 pm 
I haven't used anything else you're having problems with, but I noticed that some Firefox extensions seemed to make it very unstable and slow. Vanilla, though, it worked fine.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:11 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Well, I've used Vista quite happily, even though i've only got 512Mb of RAM. I haven't had many problems, certainly not with compatibility, but then I do not use it in a normal way, i just use it for application testing and some development. I mainly use XP Pro x64, which i prefer, as it is more stable, less of a resource hog, yet it is more compatible and contains most of the functionality required.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:21 am 
FTP Access

I tried Vista Ultimate with an dual x64 CPU, 4 GB ram, a 7200 RPM hard drive and a fairly large amount of graphics power and it still lagged... not that much, but certainly noticeable... especially when running any program from the Creative Suite 3 or from Office 2007

I currently use my XP WAY more...
and i don't foresee that changing

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:32 am 
FTP Access

For me it's about as fast as XP - even games seem to perform as well, even with Nvidia graphics drivers and Aero enabled. I haven't run into any major compatibility problems yet either - a couple of games had to be installed from XP and then run fine from Vista once installed, but nothing apart from that. I'd certainly recommend the upgrade - the slightly unfinished feeling is the only slightly irritating thing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:44 pm 
Donator

I'm running Vista Ultimate on a Core 2 Duo, 2GHz, 2GB of RAM, and an ATI Mobility Radeon x1400. I don't expect my computer to lag when it is doing nothing taxing. If I unplug the power, the computer is practically unusable. The mouse lags to a point where I can't even move my mouse in a straight line from one side of the screen to the other without it lagging about 50 times. Turning off Aero seems to curb it, but I should be able to run Aero while on battery power.

I'm not happy with Vista, I'm probably going to format to XP pretty soon

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:24 pm 
FTP Access

You can always change the power options so that it runs the same on battery as on mains - the battery won't last quite so long, but at least it will run exactly the same on both that way. Are you sure there's not something wrong there though, even with power-save enabled it shouldn't be like that. Is it perfectly smooth when on mains power?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:28 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
You can always change the power options so that it runs the same on battery as on mains - the battery won't last quite so long, but at least it will run exactly the same on both that way. Are you sure there's not something wrong there though, even with power-save enabled it shouldn't be like that. Is it perfectly smooth when on mains power?

Maybe it runs like my laptop, on mains it will go up to 2GHz but on battery its max is 798MHz. However for mine it is 398MHz max on battery because Im using RMClock to reduce it further, as I get an extra 25 mins battery life with it (only works on AMD proc's). Having only 1hr 30 mins battery life using RMClock is great but it would be just 1 hour otherwise.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:54 pm 
FTP Access

It's surely possible to turn that off though, either in Windows' power control panel or in the machine's bios? As Vista is going to suck if it's taking it down to less than half the CPU's speed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:14 pm 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:

Yeah, I'm thinking its possibly my graphics card doing it, because when I had XP on this I noticed that 3D performance was pretty terrible when on batteries, yet everything else was fine.

For now I've got a batch file on my desktop that I double-click, which turns off all the glassiness:
Code:
@echo off
net stop "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:32 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
My opinion about Vista? Worser than Longhorn, worser than XP, but still good ;)
And yes, i had some (in fact a lot of) problem with compability but after setting some things Vista works nice for me. I installed x86 edition and it's as fast as XP for me and now i have almost no problems with it. I use XP most of time anyway.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:03 am 
Donator

works fine for me. only run into a few things that didn't work. a program that creates bootable gamecube isos (uses a lot of HDD and Vista thinks it crashes), Railroad Tycoon 3 and Sid Meiers Railroads (crashes at random times)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:24 am 
I got a free copy and installed it, but have since went back to XP. I saw a noticeable decrease in battery life and everything seemed a bit slower... overall, not worth it.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:07 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
twi5t3d wrote:
I got a free copy and installed it, but have since went back to XP. I saw a noticeable decrease in battery life and everything seemed a bit slower... overall, not worth it.

yup, I agree totally.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:22 am 
FTP Access

Maybe it will be good in next year, but now it has got too much compatibility issues. And it uses too much resources.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:54 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
just seen that a SP1 is allready on the cards for Vista, its been been @HEC. There more info on -

Source -
http://www.winfuture.de/news,31801.html

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:33 am 
FTP Access

I saw that story too - what evidence do they have that it's not a Longhorn Server build though, given that Beta 3 (not sure about the earlier builds) reports itself as "Service Pack 1"? LHS Beta 3 is SP1 v126, which is actually newer than the one that they captured there. The service pack will probably come at the end of the year or start of next year - SP1 for XP took about a year.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:37 am 
FTP Access

i think these images are actually a longhorn (server) build that has been names as sp1 i saw it on the net yesterday cant remember where.... am looking now!!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:27 am 
Donator

On this topic, it would be interesting to know if it's actually possible to convert LHS to the workstation OS like NTSwitch and TweakNT do.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:23 am 
FTP Access

Just changing the branding, you mean? As if you install that "desktop experience" thing it is like Vista in pretty much all but the branding isn't it? Does anyone know what TweakNT actually changes - is there a regkey that tells it which OS it is? Presumably all the licensing stuff built into Vista/LHS would make it quite difficult though, as it is meant to lock down if it detects any tampering with the licensing stuff, and if it had a key and activation for one OS and thought it was a different OS it probably wouldn't be too happy with that :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:22 am 
Donator

Yep, AFAIK, these tools change the ProductType value in the system's registry (which can't be done within the running OS as it protects this key from being modified). Yep, LHS + Desktop Experience closely resembles Vista Business in the features, but what I'd like to know is if you can convert it to the workstation. With some Windows .NET builds (3615 and 3621 IIRC), converting to "Workstation" gave you XP with SP1 (which wasn't released at that time). So maybe LHS would transform to Vista with SP1...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:38 am 
FTP Access

I suppose it would, or at least an early version of SP1, given that LHS reports itself as SP1. What happens if you change that value (using a BartPE disc or whatever) to the one for Vista - presumably just nuke your LHS installation?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:46 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
I saw that story too - what evidence do they have that it's not a Longhorn Server build though, given that Beta 3 (not sure about the earlier builds) reports itself as "Service Pack 1"? LHS Beta 3 is SP1 v126, which is actually newer than the one that they captured there. The service pack will probably come at the end of the year or start of next year - SP1 for XP took about a year.

vista sp1 build 113 should be the client version of longhorn server build 6001.16497. (April CTP)

Microsoft is compiling longhorn server at the same time as Vista. They problary share the same code too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:33 am 
Donator

TweakNT also changes ProductSuite

Top  Profile