BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 21h, 28m | CPU: 59% | MEM: 2839MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Vista-Is it the new Millennium 2?        Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:39 am 
When I first got acquainted to Windows Vista I got this weird feeling that many people wouldn’t like it so much as XP. My brother that was with me at the moment expressed his bad opinion about Vista. In fact I was browsing the Inquirer's page the other day and I came across this article that called Vista the new Windows Millennium 2 as it was a major failure!
I will quote the article for all of you out there. Here it goes:

Microsoft admits Vista failure

Actions speak louder than PR
By Charlie Demerjian in Beijing: Saturday 21st April 2007, 12:20

WITH TWO OVERLAPPING events, Microsoft admitted what we have been saying all along, Vista, aka Windows Me Two (Me II), is a joke that no one wants.
It did two unprecedented things this week that frankly stunned us.
Dell announced that it would be offering XP again on home PCs. The second that Vista came out, Microsoft makes it very hard for you to sell anything other than Me II. It can't do this on the business side because it would be laughed out the door, but for the walking sheep class, well, you take what you are shovelled.
This is classic abusive monopoly behaviour, Microsoft wrote the modern book on it. It pulled all the major OEMs in by twisting their arms with the usual methods, and they again all fell into line. Never before has anyone backpedalled on this, to do so would earn you the wrath of Microsoft.
But Dell just did. This means that Me II sales are at least as bad as we think, the software and driver situation is just as miserable, and Dell had no choice but to buck the trend. If anyone thinks this is an act of atonement for foisting such a steaming pile on us, think again, it doesn't care about the consumer.
What happened is, the OEMs revolted in the background and forced Microsoft's hand. This is a big neon sign above Me II saying 'FAILURE'. Blink blink blink. OK, Me II won't fail, Microsoft has OEMs whipped and threatened into a corner, it will sell, but you can almost hear the defectors marching toward Linux. This is a watershed.
The other equally monumental Me II failure? Gates in China launching a $3 version of bundled XP. Why is this not altruism? Well, it goes back to piracy and how it helped enforce the MS monopoly. If you can easily pirate Windows, Linux has no price advantage, they both cost zero.
With Me II, Microsoft made it very hard to pirate. It is do-able, you can use the BIOS hack and probably a host of others, but the point is, it raised the bar enough so lots of people have to buy it. Want to bet that in a country with $100 average monthly salary, people aren't going to shell out $299 for Me II Broken Edition?
What did MS do? It dropped the price about 100x or so. I can't say this is unprecedented, when it made Office 2003 hard to pirate it had to backpedal with the student edition for about $150. This time though, things are much more desperate.
If you fit Microsoft's somewhat convoluted definition of poor, it still wants to lock you in, you might get rich enough to afford the full-priced stuff someday.
It is at a dangerous crossroads, if its software bumps up the price of a computer by 100 per cent, people might look to alternatives.
That means no Me II DRM infection lock in, no mass migration to the newer Office obfuscated and patented file formats, and worse yet, people might utter the W word.
Yes, you guessed it, 'why'. People might ask why it is sticking with the MS lock in, and at that point, it is in deep trouble.
So, it did the unthinkable, and dropped the price. I won't bother to hunt down all the exec quotes saying how people can't afford clean water would be overjoyed to sell kidneys to upgrade to the new version of Office, but they are out there. This was a sacred cow, and it is now hamburger backed up against the wall.
These two actions by Microsoft are proof of what I suggested three years ago. Microsoft has lost its ability to twist arms, and now it is going to die. It can't compete on level ground, so is left with backpedalling and discounts of almost 100 times.
What we are seeing is an unprecedented shift of power. It is also an unprecedented admission of failure. And the funniest part about the moves made? They are the wrong things to do. Microsoft is in deep trouble.

Sorry about the post's size! And by the way!! I really like Vista! I'm thinking of buying it either!!

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:59 am 
FTP Access

how about next time you literally quote it with the quote tags...
microsoft isn't doing anything new since NT.
all they do is check what 3rd party apps people use, then integrate the feature somehow in to the OS they brand it as "new and improved" when its obviously neither...
I mean Vista was supposed to be "new", but blackcomb got pushed back more and more so microsoft attempts to release a half-baked OS (you can really tell its half baked) to "sustain" the public until 2010, when the next version, Vienna (whatever they may call it then) for an even higher price...

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:25 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
spaceship9 wrote:
how about next time you literally quote it with the quote tags...
microsoft isn't doing anything new since NT.
all they do is check what 3rd party apps people use, then integrate the feature somehow in to the OS they brand it as "new and improved" when its obviously neither...
I mean Vista was supposed to be "new", but blackcomb got pushed back more and more so microsoft attempts to release a half-baked OS (you can really tell its half baked) to "sustain" the public until 2010, when the next version, Vienna (whatever they may call it then) for an even higher price...

Half-baked? They haven't even put it in the oven yet! :D

Most of my customers do not want it installed on their new computer. I have no problems with that, as I personally hate Vista and all it stands for - the failures of a development team, packaged into a DVD that may or may not work properly on some systems.

Luckily, we can still get XP, and continue to sell it on new PC's until we can no longer get copies for it... (probably sometime in late 2008, if Microsoft really does end-of-life it).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:36 am 
FTP Access

Inq=fail.

To elaborate: show me in the news article where it specifically shows a Microsoft employee saying it was a "failure"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Answer        Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:44 am 
Well I'm noticing that the article dropped a bomb to some users. Now let's draw some lines here. The title is purely fictional because the juice that we can comprehend from the article basically relies on the fact that Vista is somehow high-priced and of course as we know it, has a lot of driver and software compatibility issues. That's the only reason for Vista's apparent failure. But I think that the general public will become more receptive to Vista once they get in touch with it. I know I was...
Also relating to the price issue: Microsoft is the leading brand in operating sistems, I think that they would earn more if Windows prices were somehow lower! Here in Portugal for example Vista Ultimate in Upgrade Editon costs about 450 Euros...that's almost 500 american dollars...I don't know the price range abroad but that sure is expensive!!

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:30 am 
Yeah, Vista is too expensive. I'm using Windows 2003 Server as workstation and my father has vista, and even with slower hardware Win 2k3 is much faster. It runs very well, I like the new interface but JackHard's Vystal gives me aero on it, so no need to upgrade yet :)

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:22 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Gentoo
I don't like vystal. it takes up too much CPU :/

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:22 pm 
ME was hated because it was too user "friendly" it wanted to do EVERYTHING for you. In the case of windows Vista, you can turn most of that stuff off, like UAC (i'm not saying that you couldn't in ME, i don't know) I never personally used ME and hope i never have to.

I don't think Microsoft would make the same mistake twice, Vista isn't that close.

I also heard that Vystal is not stable and causes many BSODs, is that true?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:42 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
I've used Vystal on and off for a week or so and i found that it does take up a lot of cpu, even a large chunk of an X2, so what it would do on my sempron, im not even going to try. Although it doesnt cause BSODs, it does crash quite often and when this happens, it likes to take as many open windows as possible with it.

Top  Profile  WWW