BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 5h, 3m | CPU: 47% | MEM: 1830MB of 3185MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Vista resources questions        Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:06 am 
FTP Access

I'm looking for the image that is up the side of the Classic Start Menu in Vista (the narrow blue one that says "Windows Vista" on it). In XP these images are stored in explorer.exe and there is one for each edition, but I can't find the image in Vista. Does anyone know what file it lives in? I did find a load of XP images in Vista's winbrand.dll though, including the "XP Freestyle" logoes.

Also, to modify shell32.dll I had to mess around with the permissions on the file as, unlike XP, you are blocked from modifying the file by default. It pops up a message saying that changing the permissions on system files can cause problems, but I haven't noticed any yet - are any likely and should I really avoid doing this? (I did it to get rid of all the old XP icons that they left in the Classic Start Menu)

Oh, and what about the Classic Start Menu itself (ie the "Menu" resource) - it no longer seems to be in explorer.exe

Thanks in advance :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:05 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
i'll have a look, ive accessed this resource before, i cant remember which file though. have you looked in the branding files, basebrd.dll and shellbrd.dll

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:33 am 
FTP Access

Thanks :D Found the image in the shell branding file - no wonder I couldn't find it before, it's buried in C:\Windows\Branding and I was looking in System32! Does anyone know where the menu resource for the Classic Start Menu is, or is likely to be, as I always replace Settings with Control Panel, there being no point as far as I can see to having Control Panel two menus away instead of one, when the rest of the Settings menu just duplicates some of the things from Control Panel.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:04 pm 
Donator

It is in:
C:\Windows\System32\winbrand.dll

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:39 pm 
FTP Access

Winbrand.dll only contains XP branding images; as I said the start menu image was found in shellbrd.dll.

The resources on Vista are rather confusing me: I can't find the Menu resource for the Classic Start Menu anywhere, surely someone must know where it is? If not, is there a way to completely remove the "Settings" menu from the Start Menu? Group Policy has an entry to remove its contents but I can't find one to get rid of the menu itself. Also why are there no Dialog resources in comdlg32.dll? Very strange...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:43 am 
FTP Access

Well it seems as though there is something really strange going on here. No Menu or Dialog resources are visible when a Vista file is opened with Resource Hacker or PE Explorer, but when I opened explorer.exe with XN Resource Editor the Menu resource containing the Classic Start Menu was visible. However, if you try to change the file, when you save it it says "System error, code 50, the request is not supported" and it saves a copy of the file as it was originally as opposed to the file containing your changes. Even stranger, if I copy Vista's explorer.exe across to XP and open it with XN Resource Editor from there, the Menu resources are not visible! What is going on?! I had no problems modifying shellbrd.dll and shell32.dll, but as soon as I try to edit a file that contains Menu or Dialog resources it just produces these errors and I can't save it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
The reason why you cannot modify resources has to do with the fact that Microsoft has changed the PE format for the first time in a LONG time (I'd say, since Windows 2000). All current resource editors are unable to change these new PE files (as far as I've seen). I have no idea if anyone is working on a fix for these files, or if it's impossible to edit them due to security reasons (checksums within the files, perhaps).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
I think this is the reason you can't run Vista applications on XP natively, you have to have a compatibility layer like VAIO to run vista applications on XP.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:19 pm 
FTP Access

jimmsta wrote:
The reason why you cannot modify resources has to do with the fact that Microsoft has changed the PE format for the first time in a LONG time (I'd say, since Windows 2000). All current resource editors are unable to change these new PE files (as far as I've seen). I have no idea if anyone is working on a fix for these files, or if it's impossible to edit them due to security reasons (checksums within the files, perhaps).

Grrr, that sucks :evil: I really like to be able to get my Start Menu exactly how I want it. I have also found that Vista doesn't seem to remember the order of the icons in the top section of the Classic Start Menu if you re-order them and then logoff/on. A bug perhaps? I also seem to sometimes get weird permission denied errors when trying to rename folders that I've put in the start menu, while adding things to the start menu also sometimes makes a folder called "Start Menu" appear on the desktop that then disappears again shortly afterwards. There's too many bugs in Vista :(

Top  Profile