BetaArchive
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/

Longhorn Packet v1.21
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=14327
Page 1 of 3

Author:  Pwned [ Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Longhorn Packet v1.21

Image

Tired of Debug Assertion errors, bootscreen hanging in some Longhorn builds, and other problems during the installing? Then this package is for you. Longhorn Packet solves really MANY problems in the setup.

How to use it:
1. Open your "bad" Longhorn ISO in WinRAR (recommended), 7-Zip, or any other archiving program.
2. Unpack it to some folder, like C:\BrokenHorn.
3. Open Longhorn Packet v1.0 in UltraISO (recommended), PowerISO, or any other ISO editing program.
4. Place C:\BrokenHorn or other folder's contents into UNBOOT folder in the Packet, so setup will be available in X:\UNBOOT\SETUP.EXE (X: stands for your CD/DVD-ROM drive, it may vary, depending on your system).
5. Save the ISO as a new file.
6. Now, boot it up and have fun - all problems are solved! :)

Version 1.1 introduces Easy Mode (also fixes some bugs).
Easy Mode helps you install Longhorn without using any 3rd party partitioning utilities, just boot and go. This also works for some faulty builds like 4011.
When using it, it will delete ALL DATA from the hard drive, if there is any, and will only work correctly if there is only 1 hard drive installed. This is perfect for Virtual Machines.

Version 1.2 changelog:
  • A major Easy Mode bug fixed
  • Easy Mode improved
  • Changed from CLI to GUI

Version 1.21 changelog:
  • Cosmetic UI changes
  • Minor bugfixes
  • Better VirtualBox support

Download (version 1.21):
http://www.mediafire.com/?xb3omk0pvluvkkf

Download (version 1.2):
http://www.mediafire.com/?39vvyagaawhfrtb

Patch (1.0 --> 1.1):
Apply this patch to version 1.0 to get version 1.1 out of it.
http://yalb.ath.cx/patch11.exe

Download (version 1.1):
http://yalb.ath.cx/lh_unboot_fixed_new.iso
http://www.mediafire.com/?r5ocxsk4rejv5em

Download (version 1.0):
http://yalb.ath.cx/lh_unboot_fixed.iso
http://www.mediafire.com/?15edcipa7l236sv

P.S. Also, video guide (but in Russian though :( ) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b_hL5oJTr0

Author:  betacollector101 [ Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

one question, do we HAVE to use WinRAR? or can we use something like 7zip.

thanks for this. i haven't played with longhorn builds and a while and might start again.

Author:  Pwned [ Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

Yes, you can use 7-Zip if you want, actually. I have made this Packet long ago, it even was on National Russian Torrent Tracker, but torrent got died, and it went public. The package is resurrected again.

Author:  Rob Jansen [ Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

Pro-tip:

If you have already an working bootable longhorn CD (like 4011).
Just skip the download and dump the contents of the ''bad'' CD into a working one (in a folder of your choice).

Saves you a lot of time downloading.

It may or not may be available on X:
But it will be on D: or E: (depending which drive-letter the CD-Drive has been given).

Author:  Pwned [ Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

Rob Jansen wrote:
Pro-tip:

If you have already an working bootable longhorn CD (like 4011).
Just skip the download and dump the contents of the ''bad'' CD into a working one (in a folder of your choice).

Saves you a lot of time downloading.

It may or not may be available on X:
But it will be on D: or E: (depending which drive-letter the CD-Drive has been given).


4011 has Debug Assertion Failed errors, and also it's badly compiled PE. Sure you can try, but that is universal, and I tweaked it to work slightly.

Also, in X: I mean the CD/DVD-ROM drive available to user.

Author:  Rob Jansen [ Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

I take back the 4011 :oops:
I was thinking of that (that the buggiest PE ever), I mean 4008 (that is the better one).

Also, the X drive in the drive that contains the RAM disk, if you use an .wim to boot (boot.wim), the contents is in the X: drive, the other files will be in D: or E:

And I am not keen (and many others also) on an ''custom'' Windows PE with tools I/We never use while the standard PE image works fine in 4008.
No hassle.

Also the only Build that is uninstallable from the PE (booting from disc, is 4011).
The others work fine.
Some do not work in VMware, but they work in VPC or Virtualbox.

Author:  shiztr [ Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

Will this fix build 4039 for vmware? Thanks for the packet.

Author:  Pwned [ Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

shiztr wrote:
Will this fix build 4039 for vmware? Thanks for the packet.


Yes, it works for ALL Longhorn builds in x86 available. It is theoretically possible to place working build in the Packet, and it will still work. So yeah...

Author:  Kobi [ Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

This pack reminds me an installation of the longhorn build 4093. Base of that installation is 4033's WinPE. In your pack you must rename "SETUP.EXE" to "SETUP.EXE." to successfully run the installation.

Author:  Pwned [ Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

Kobi wrote:
This pack reminds me an installation of the longhorn build 4093. Base of that installation is 4033's WinPE. In your pack you must rename "SETUP.EXE" to "SETUP.EXE." to successfully run the installation.


I did already try my current version without any changes, and it worked. I don't need to change anything, I think.

Author:  Kobi [ Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

Pwned wrote:
Kobi wrote:
This pack reminds me an installation of the longhorn build 4093. Base of that installation is 4033's WinPE. In your pack you must rename "SETUP.EXE" to "SETUP.EXE." to successfully run the installation.


I did already try my current version without any changes, and it worked. I don't need to change anything, I think.


I used that version what you had posted. I have tried it on build 4028 and I had to rename that file ...

Author:  jman6495 [ Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

I get a 404 :S can someone mirror this on BA ?

Author:  Rioter [ Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

Chances are, like all customisation projects, it's all died down and dead.

You can wait and see if Pwned has the files still, apart from that, chances are no-one can mirror it.

Author:  Kobi [ Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re:

jman6495 wrote:
I get a 404 :S can someone mirror this on BA ?


I am uploading it on mediafire, I hope that Pwned will not have anything against it ...

EDIT : Here it is : http://www.mediafire.com/?15edcipa7l236sv

Author:  jman6495 [ Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

thanks for this gonna give it a go and see if it fixes my laptops problems with 4074,
it gets to boot screen , then boots , then boots , then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots
and i finally realise that the startup screen is never going away ^^

Author:  Kobi [ Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

jman6495 wrote:
thanks for this gonna give it a go and see if it fixes my laptops problems with 4074,
it gets to boot screen , then boots , then boots , then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots, then boots
and i finally realise that the startup screen is never going away ^^


I had the same problem with build less than 4053, but somehow 4066,4074,4093 had worked on my laptop.

Author:  hb860 [ Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

i have re-packed some of Longhorns for modern vmware
i use 4033 PE

Author:  kidr0ck0 [ Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

@Pwned
@Kobi

Thanks for the download links! You guys r0ck!

I downloaded this ISO and burned it, but had bad RAM
problems at first. Once I got it to go beyond the second
vertical tick on the bottom, I was very happy with this
Longhorn Preinstallation Environment!

It would even let me CTRL-C out of it at the end,
and let me CHDIR, DIR, etc. and run some programs on C:

Question:
How do I put Longhorn files in \UNBOOT\ ?
Should I add the entire Longhorn CD structure there ?
I.E. the setup.exe from the CD Root, and the install subdir,
or do I put the setup.exe from the install dir and the other
files and install.wim directly into \UNBOOT\ ?
I suspect the second, but please clearify this for me.
Again, thanks! Boots great!

Author:  Pwned [ Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

Yes, entire.
For example, Longhorn 4088 (which has broken mouse driver during installation).
4088 CD:\
--|setup.exe
--|autorun.inf... etc.

Put all this into Longhorn Packet:
Longhorn Packet:\UNBOOT\
--|setup.exe
--|autorun.inf... etc.

Don't touch the root of the Longhorn Packet ISO.

@Kobi, thanks for the link! Haven't visited the topic for a while.

Author:  kidr0ck0 [ Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

@Pwned

Excellent! Thanks for the Fast Reply.

Author:  fred30w [ Thu May 26, 2011 5:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

Pwned wrote:
Yes, entire.
For example, Longhorn 4088 (which has broken mouse driver during installation).
4088 CD:\
--|setup.exe
--|autorun.inf... etc.

Put all this into Longhorn Packet:
Longhorn Packet:\UNBOOT\
--|setup.exe
--|autorun.inf... etc.

Don't touch the root of the Longhorn Packet ISO.

@Kobi, thanks for the link! Haven't visited the topic for a while.

Sry for the topic bump, but I did this with Longhorn 4042, but setup keeps telling me that setup.exe could not be found. When I look in MagicISO, its all there, I'm going to retry with Winrar and see if that works any better, I'll report back.

EDIT: No good, still gives me the error, is there a fix for this?

:D SOLVED: Found it is a fault with MagicISO. I would recommend a switch to UltraISO!!!! (thx to PWNd on his recommendation) UltraISO packed the ISO correctly, if you have problems using MagicISO, then switch the UltraISO!!! ;)

Author:  leomoskva [ Fri May 27, 2011 5:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

Can i use it for 5112?

Author:  Pwned [ Fri May 27, 2011 5:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

leomoskva wrote:
Can i use it for 5112?


Not tested, as it's a Vista beta. I don't know if this works or not, but I can try it myself.

Author:  leomoskva [ Fri May 27, 2011 7:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

Nope,not working.

Author:  Pwned [ Fri May 27, 2011 7:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Longhorn Packet v1.0

leomoskva wrote:
Nope,not working.


Well, does it give any error messages or anything?

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/