BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 52d, 3h, 52m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 6195MB of 11100MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Vista and ATi Catalyst Drivers        Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:13 am 
FTP Access

Westbalkanian Computing Industry Wastelands
Has anyone tried the new 7.1 Catalyst Vista driver (released: 29/01/07)?
It seems to support OpenGL natively (as the release notes says), but I wish to get some feedback before installing it (I don't wanna install Vista as main os, before knowing the fact this driver correctly works).

The previous (beta Catalyst) driver was quite buggy, for example it didn't run CS in any (D3D or OpenGL) hardware acceleated mode, but also had issues with the Source engine. (Also it had no native OpenGL support).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:46 am 
FTP Access

Well my PC has an outdated graphic card (anyone who searches my previous posts will agree) and the old Catalyst drivers causes a Blue Screen (I can't run a new version). So therefore there aren't any games for me in Vista.

That was a few months ago. However, if you try the Omega drivers and run under XP compatablity mode you will discover (or at least I did) that the drivers work very well and you have support for DirectX and I believe other technologies.

So I don't think you should install the Catalyst drivers yet, but give the unoffical drivers a try. They are still based on Catalyst. Now Vista is my primary OS and everything is fine :D

PS. Even with the grahpic drivers working I still get a Performance Rating of 1 :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:16 am 
Donator

They do support OpenGL natively, but for some odd reason, they don't allow you to run OpenGL apps with a 16-bit color depth. I couldn't run Elite Force II :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Vista and ATi Catalyst Drivers        Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:00 pm 
Donator

Grisa wrote:
Has anyone tried the new 7.1 Catalyst Vista driver (released: 29/01/07)?
It seems to support OpenGL natively (as the release notes says), but I wish to get some feedback before installing it (I don't wanna install Vista as main os, before knowing the fact this driver correctly works).

The previous (beta Catalyst) driver was quite buggy, for example it didn't run CS in any (D3D or OpenGL) hardware acceleated mode, but also had issues with the Source engine. (Also it had no native OpenGL support).

i think there was a problem with the source engine itself that valve has/will fix

Top  Profile