BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 73d, 20h, 48m | CPU: 44% | MEM: 6417MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Enable hidden things in Betas - Thread        Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:50 pm 
So...

At first, thanks to J. Byrne who inspired me of doing this thread.

How about doing a thread only about "enable hidden things" in MS Betas? Like the taskbar feature in 2250 he was talking about. Let me just start with the taskbar feature but a bit more detailled:
Rightclick the taskbar, choose "Properties" and then choose the first tab ("Start"), in that Tab press Alt+D and then Apply, the new startmenu should be enabled.

What else is there like this in other builds? :P

PostPost subject: Re: Enable hidden things in Betas - Thread        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:00 pm 
FTP Access

Windows 2000 betas: Open minesweeper, press escape. It minimizes and then the window title becomes Budget.xls, handy boss key there.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Enable hidden things in Betas - Thread        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:55 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
There is an activator for the earlier betas of Win 7 out on torrent sites called PlusPatch which you are supposed to be able to enable hidden themes remove send feedback, remove the watermark, and such.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Enable hidden things in Betas - Thread        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:27 pm 
TheWahbinator wrote:
Windows 2000 betas: Open minesweeper, press escape. It minimizes and then the window title becomes Budget.xls, handy boss key there.

That was new to me, well, I meant more "useful" tips, but this is a funny one which is OK too.

Whatever, arent there more "secret shortcuts" in other betas?

PostPost subject: Re: Enable hidden things in Betas - Thread        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:47 pm 
FTP Access

Yeah I was trying to think of more useful stuff too. Oh well here's another:

In Longhorn builds 400x-403x go to the \windows\i386 folder and run winnt.exe. It basically gives you a message that you can't do DOS-based setups anymore.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Enable hidden things in Betas - Thread        Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:17 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
TheWahbinator wrote:
Yeah I was trying to think of more useful stuff too. Oh well here's another:

In Longhorn builds 400x-403x go to the \windows\i386 folder and run winnt.exe. It basically gives you a message that you can't do DOS-based setups anymore.

It's also in 3683, not sure about 3706/3718 though.

Anyway, in 4029, you can get 3d icons. I don't know how though, someone here might. 4029 also has DCE, but no one knows how to activate it...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Enable hidden things in Betas - Thread        Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:40 am 
FTP Access

Well I was peeking around in 4033 and couldn't enable the 3D view, but found a few interesting things:

It could burn ISO files... (first use of Aero Wizard too)

Also Outlook Express wants to remind you that it's "more useful every day" along with a unique plex-like theme not found in other builds.

Again these aren't really things you enable per se, just little tidbits not (really) noticed beforehand.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Enable hidden things in Betas - Thread        Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:57 pm 
The ISO burner was new to me, thanks :)

Well, something else... on Neptune's logon screen, you can press CTRL and the "Turn off computer" turns to "Completly turn off your computer", and when you press Shift, you can restart the computer clicking that button.

PostPost subject: Re: Enable hidden things in Betas - Thread        Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:26 am 
Namronia, is there a difference in functionality between those two shut down options in Neptune? I think my ISO got corrupt in a hard disk crash, I'll have to grab another copy sometime to try it though :)

PostPost subject: Re: Enable hidden things in Betas - Thread        Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:57 am 
shagin099 wrote:
Namronia, is there a difference in functionality between those two shut down options in Neptune? I think my ISO got corrupt in a hard disk crash, I'll have to grab another copy sometime to try it though :)

Well, the normal mode doesnt really shut down, it saves everything in the RAM, Its called hibernating. The CTRL Option shuts really down, Shift restarts.

Last edited by Namronia on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPost subject: Re: Enable hidden things in Betas - Thread        Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:03 pm 
Donator

Namronia wrote:
shagin099 wrote:

Well, the normal mode doesnt really shut down, it saves everything in the RAM, I guess its called "Standby Modus". The CTRL Option shuts really down, Shift restarts.

It's actually Hibernating. :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Enable hidden things in Betas - Thread        Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:26 pm 
Windows OCManage wrote:
Namronia wrote:
shagin099 wrote:

Well, the normal mode doesnt really shut down, it saves everything in the RAM, Its called hibernating. The CTRL Option shuts really down, Shift restarts.

It's actually Hibernating. :wink:

Ah Ok, sorry, edited it.

PostPost subject: Re: Enable hidden things in Betas - Thread        Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:34 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111
in whistler build 2250, go to task bar - start properties and press alt-d

that enables the new experimental start menu^^

and look in windows/web/startpage folder, there is a new neptune-like activity center which you can put on your active desktop.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Enable hidden things in Betas - Thread        Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
http://www.withinwindows.com/2008/12/27 ... m1-builds/

You can enable the Programs Explorer with a DWORD AllYourProgramsAreBelongtoUs. It's not really hidden though, can be access thru control panel.

Top  Profile