BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 71d, 15h, 54m | CPU: 41% | MEM: 6317MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows
I can't install Windows 3.1 on vmware, because after the MS-DOS installation i get this error:
Someone can help me?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:41 pm 
Donator

Are you using SCSI/RAID/SATA? If so, use IDE instead.

Offtopic Comment
Would be nice if NT could only run with Atapi/AtDisk, Ntoskrnl, Hal, NtDll and FastFat.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows
Windows OCManage wrote:
Are you using SCSI/RAID/SATA? If so, use IDE instead.

Offtopic Comment
Would be nice if NT could only run with Atapi/AtDisk, Ntoskrnl, Hal, NtDll and FastFat.

I've try to use a virtual IDE drive, but the result is this :( :
The setup don't allow me to install windows or create/delete partition on IDE drive >_<

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:03 am 
Donator

Format using FAT16.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:10 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows
Windows OCManage wrote:
Format using FAT16.

When I make the drive (SCSI or IDE) i create a partition with fdisk and i format the C: unit with the format of Windows 95 floppy disk.. But when I'm on the setup, the SCSI drive is recognize, the IDE drive not :( . I've try to convert the partition in NTFS, I edit some settings on bios and I changed the version of vmware at 4.0 but it won't work!
(Sorry the english)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:13 am 
Donator

Weird, AtDisk should recognize it, try installing it on VPC 2007 and convert it to vmWare format.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:20 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows
Windows OCManage wrote:
Weird, AtDisk should recognize it, try installing it on VPC 2007 and convert it to vmWare format.

Okay, I will try it :)
(btw i've make a video of my problem http://rapidshare.com/files/255895993/N ... e.rar.html)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
haiku
i have this installed in bochs. i could upload a rar of the hdd file and configuration if you like. if it would make things easier.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:42 pm 
FTP Access

xeeynamo wrote:
I can't install Windows 3.1 on vmware, because after the MS-DOS installation i get this error:
Someone can help me?

Be aware that the VMWare Tools do not work with NT 3.1 so you'll have no graphics card driver and no sound driver.

It would be better to use MS Virtual PC for NT3.1 since there are drivers available for the devices mentioned above.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:48 pm 
FTP Access

Not to hijack the thread but when I install NT 3.1 on Virtual PC 2007 I get a "pausing" problem that is very irritating. Basically everything will seem to work for a few seconds then all activity (including mouse movement) stops for maybe 15 seconds, then everything works again. This keeps happening over and over again whether I have VT-x on or not. Anyone have an idea why?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:38 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Because it was desigend to run on 386/486/Pentium 1.

Above P1, you need to hack it to get it to run.

In VMWare it is realitive fast, but in Microsoft VPC 2004/2007 it is slower.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:38 pm 
FTP Access

eraser wrote:
Not to hijack the thread but when I install NT 3.1 on Virtual PC 2007 I get a "pausing" problem that is very irritating. Basically everything will seem to work for a few seconds then all activity (including mouse movement) stops for maybe 15 seconds, then everything works again. This keeps happening over and over again whether I have VT-x on or not. Anyone have an idea why?

Do you have a dual core processor?
If yes then this is most probably causing the problem.

You should only use one processor when running Virtual PC (at least with NT3.1)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Interesting.

I have recently found out that an ''older'' processors (aka single core without x64 instruction set) works better then an Dual Core, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad.

I had a hell of a time installing NT 3.1 or even NT 4 beta's on my Quad Core.

But then I installed it on my ''new'' HP D530 USDT pc with Intel Celeron 2,0GHz, in VPC and it would boot without problems and without an pause.

Just like trying it for real on an Pentium 1.

Even the NT 3.1 404 Beta works.

So, if you have an older style processor lying around (preferably before widly integrated x64 instructions, mine is from 2002-2003), it works better then the newer ones.

Despistado wrote:
eraser wrote:

Do you have a dual core processor?
If yes then this is most probably causing the problem.

You should only use one processor when running Virtual PC (at least with NT3.1)

In Virtual PC you have only 1 processor available and it's not x64.

Also a note when using VMWare, the default setting is that EVERY vm created uses 1 CPU, not 2.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:55 pm 
FTP Access

DjRob wrote:

Also a note when using VMWare, the default setting is that EVERY vm created uses 1 CPU, not 2.

The only thing I can tell you is that I experienced exactly the same problems when I first started NT3.51 on my new host computer which has a dual core processor.

The long pauses were gone when I set Virtual PC (the application, not the virtual machine itself) to use only one processor.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:55 am 
FTP Access

Quote:
The only thing I can tell you is that I experienced exactly the same problems when I first started NT3.51 on my new host computer which has a dual core processor.

The long pauses were gone when I set Virtual PC (the application, not the virtual machine itself) to use only one processor.

Ah, that explains it! Thanks guys! :mrgreen:

On my old system I was running 3.1 and 3.51 just fine with VPC 2004 on a single core machine. Now I am running VPC 2007 on a C2D machine. I thought it was maybe VPC 2007 that was the problem but it was actually the second core.

Quote:
I had a hell of a time installing NT 3.1 or even NT 4 beta's on my Quad Core.

But then I installed it on my ''new'' HP D530 USDT pc with Intel Celeron 2,0GHz, in VPC and it would boot without problems and without an pause.

Since upgrading to the new machine and installing the old OSes and betas again I did find that '95 betas and even the final release of '95 would not boot if VT-x was enabled. It took a lot of trail and error to figure that one out. I was hoping that there was an equally simple fix to get the NT 3.x OSes to run.

Quote:

I've noticed that from watching the processor on my physical box that under load Virtual PC (or Windows) will split the VM "task" between both cores on the box so that each physical core on a dual core box are both running at ~50% instead of a single core running at 100%. It is really noticeable when running the systems that don't idle the CPU or before the CPU idle TSR is loaded. I am pretty sure that it also does this at lower loads and something during this "balancing act" must be causing problems with the old OSes. It seems like it should be "transparent" to the VM but I guess it's not. Since old OSes aren't exactly a focus for the Virtual PC developers and new OSes work fine I am sure they also don't care.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:13 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune
Try to use Virtual PC
I can installed it well~ :mrgreen:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:16 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.1 Build 297
DjRob wrote:

Use this to run NT 3.1:

- Connectix Virtual PC version 4.1 (runs NT 3.1 faster than VPC 2004 or VPC 2007 and no system errors after restart)
- QEMU (Open source, runs fast)
- VirtualBox (same as VMWare)

Last edited by trustBA on Mon, 3rd Nov, 2013 6:99 am, edited 100 times in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
trustBA wrote:
DjRob wrote:

Use this to run NT 3.1:

- Connectix Virtual PC version 4.1 (runs NT 3.1 faster than VPC 2004 or VPC 2007 and no system errors after restart)
- QEMU (Open source, runs fast)
- VirtualBox (same as VMWare)

Why does everybody has to quote me, it was already established that SINGLE CORE processors run NT 3.x better then Dual Core, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad and so on.

-> Connectix Virtual PC 4.1, I don't like that I can't set anything in the BIOS.
-> QEMU, Tryed it, to much hassle to put a VM on there.
-> VirtualBox, Same as Connectix Virtual PC 4.1, no BIOS.

I will stick to my VMWare and Virtual PC.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:49 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 3.30a & Windows/386!
Since we are on the top of NT 3.1, I like Qemu as I can emulate the networking (ne2000) & the sound.. Although I'm having a HELL of a time trying to get internet explorer 2 for windows 3.1 to install... I can't even get it to install on WFW 311..

I keep on getting the
"This Setup is not intended for your version of Windows."
message.. Even though it's listed as being IE 2 for Windows 3.1 ...

I did install the TCP/IP on WFW311 and it works, but I don't know ...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:40 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune
Despistado wrote:
xeeynamo wrote:
Someone can help me?

Be aware that the VMWare Tools do not work with NT 3.1 so you'll have no graphics card driver and no sound driver.

It would be better to use MS Virtual PC for NT3.1 since there are drivers available for the devices mentioned above.

I got the same (a bit) error message when installed Windows 2000 Beta (NT 5.0)
Why???

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:29 pm 
Donator

chevady1203 wrote:
Despistado wrote:
xeeynamo wrote:
Someone can help me?

I got the same (a bit) error message when installed Windows 2000 Beta (NT 5.0)
Why???

Windows NT cannot recognize the Boot device because the driver loaded doesn't know how to properly communicate with the device.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Looking back at this I can't help but wonder if the VMWare is using SCSI disks... I doubt the controler in question is supported by NT 3.1 ... As NT 3.1 did NOT support PCI devices...

I also found this 'guide' for installing NT 3.1 on Qemu.

http://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_Wind ... .1_on_Qemu

So far this seems like the best experience as networking & sound work. I have to wonder if the EISA scsi controller from the Jazz emulation could be put into place from the MIPS emulator in Qemu to give access to the CD-ROM (NT 3.1 does not support IDE cd's).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WinNT, 2k, XP, 2k3, 7, 8 chk
Windows NT 3.1 perfectly put under Vmware. True he does not understand processors with MMX. For that, that he was put, patch is needed for the files of initial.inf and setup.inf

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Roden Croft wrote:
Windows NT 3.1 perfectly put under Vmware. True he does not understand processors with MMX. For that, that he was put, patch is needed for the files of initial.inf and setup.inf

did you get the network driver & the VESA video driver?

AMD PCNET
http://www.ari-service.com/ftp/d-other/11265315.exe

VESA (VBEMP)
http://www.geocities.com/bearwindows/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.1 on Vmware. Boot Error        Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:18 pm 
Donator

One year ago, I installed Windows 3.1 on MS Virtual PC 2007 with old AMD one core processor. It worked very fine. The RAM was 512 mb, and still it worked fine.

Top  Profile