BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 15h, 45m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 4871MB of 10993MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:12 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
I have two questions about the windows Neptune build number. First of all: Why is it so high? (5111). The build number of Windows XP, sp3 is 2600. I think that it comes close to Vista, however Neptune was later merged into Whistler.

Also, on this site: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/wi ... tion_2.asp, it is said that build 2211 is a Neptune build (on the FTP is is named Whistler), however 2211 and 5111 are not very close.

Is the supersite wrong, or has Neptune just a very weared build number?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
I don't know exactly why they had it.

But there are many topics about it on the forum.

But still it is speculating why.

One reason I could come up with, is that the buildnumber is the same some IE version or something.

Offtopic Comment
If you go to the Control Panel evolution, he shows the User Manager of whistler not the control panel.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Windows Neptune was planned from the beginning to be a successor to the 9x line, so when they initially forked the project from Windows 2000, the build number was artificially raised to continue where the 9x line left off.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:08 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
zeehonden_3 wrote:
Also, on this site: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_evolution_2.asp, it is said that build 2211 is a Neptune build (on the FTP is is named Whistler), however 2211 and 5111 are not very close.

Is the supersite wrong, or has Neptune just a very weared build number?

Just take a look on the second picture on that page, this should answer your question. Builld 2211 is a Whistler build. :wink:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win10/Debian Linux
Derf wrote:
Windows Neptune was planned from the beginning to be a successor to the 9x line, so when they initially forked the project from Windows 2000, the build number was artificially raised to continue where the 9x line left off.

Exactly. Windows Me was Windows 4.90 Build 3000. Neptune was to be Windows 5.0 Build 5xxx. Also, the build that leaked (5111) was compiled right before the project was canceled in January 2000 - According to some articles, the cancelation of the project came as a surprise to the developers who were working on the project. Microsoft almost immediatly announced codename Whistler, and took off from Windows 2000 SP1 beta code to create the earliest builds of Whistler.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:59 am 
They did the same with server 2003, in the logs for 3505 they said they raised it from 2505 to show that its something different.

As people here already said, thats most probably the reason.

PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:34 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
Is it true that two builds of Neptune were completed before the project was canned, but only 5111 was released? Build 5000 (?) was left in the hands of very few people but it's never seen the public light of day?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:57 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Most likely there are a lot of more than two builds of Neptune. Just think about all the changes compared to Windows 2000. This can't be done in just two builds...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Development of Neptune started at 1998, so they has to be far more than just two builds. In fact, at the very least there are three builds of Neptune, 5000, 5022 (there are files with that build number in ME 2332), and 5111.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Neptune 5.5.5111, ME Betas, OS/2
jimmsta wrote:
Derf wrote:

Exactly. Windows Me was Windows 4.90 Build 3000. Neptune was to be Windows 5.0 Build 5xxx. Also, the build that leaked (5111) was compiled right before the project was canceled in January 2000 - According to some articles, the cancelation of the project came as a surprise to the developers who were working on the project. Microsoft almost immediatly announced codename Whistler, and took off from Windows 2000 SP1 beta code to create the earliest builds of Whistler.

Neptune was planned to be windows 5.5 Build 5xxx, the winver says only 5.0 because its an alpha like early whistler builds that came from 2k
the real intern number is 5.5 look at the files in Me Beta build 2332

Windows 2000 Embedded Myth

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:57 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
and from where had you the proof that Build 5000 exists??

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:49 am 
adun wrote:

This is a very good question!

I guess there was never any proof, it was just guessing at OSBA.

PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
adun wrote:

I have never seen proof, I only read about it on wikipedia. I'm going to find out who wrote it, and maybe find more information.

EDIT: I can't find any name or so, but I found the IP: 84.66.229.124. It is one from the UK. It seems to be the first person mentioning Windows Neptune build 5000. I searched on google for it, but (of course) I can't find anything. Here is that wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... d=18848125.

BTW it is very usefull to go into the history on Wiki. I found a lot of information about neptune in previous posts which have been deleted over the time.

Last edited by zeehonden_3 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:53 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Ok thats o good idea.
So we can destroy the myths about Neptune

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Everyone can edit wikipedia.

So it not really a trusted source for "unleaked" stuff builds.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DjRob wrote:
Everyone can edit wikipedia.

So it not really a trusted source for "unleaked" stuff builds.

But AFAIK it was the first source who mentioned it (14 July 2005). I thought, If i could find the username of the person who put it on wikipedia, and I would google for it, I maybe would be able so find him on a forum (quite likely if he was also a beta collector) and so PM him.

But you are true, it is not a really good source.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:32 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
and because we can't find him on the internet we woun't be able to ask him where he get this information from.
but if you goolge for "windows neptune build 5000" ore something like that you will find a lot of comments in other forums!

I found something interesting
http://www.aeroxp.org/board/lofiversion ... 11431.html
plz look at this, there are other builds of Neptune

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:34 pm 
adun wrote:
and because we can't find him on the internet we woun't be able to ask him where he get this information from.
but if you goolge for "windows neptune build 5000" ore something like that you will find a lot of comments in other forums!

I found something interesting
http://www.aeroxp.org/board/lofiversion ... 11431.html
plz look at this, there are other builds of Neptune

I put that old list there when I didnt knew it was fake...

Sorry for that confusion here now, but the big list is fake, only the first [edited] post shows known builds.

Edit: Sadly there are many fakes out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPDVDnBo5GQ

That one here for example was in my "that could interest you" list on Youtube (see description for download, just images), I dont know about the Whistler one, but Neptune 5000 Screens there are fakes too.

PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
ok I'm going to look at this
But you say your edited list is alright. That would mean that 5.50.5095 is proof like 5022 ?

Edit:
Question: How did you see in the screens from 5000 that its a fake? because of the Logo ??
5095.1 is a fake, that's obviously .
the guy that made the screens is from BetaArchive

Last edited by adun on Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:51 pm 
adun wrote:
ok I'm going to look at this
But you say your edited list is alright. That would mean that 5.50.5095 is proof like 5022 ?

Question: How did you see in the screens from 5000 that its a fake? because of the Logo ??

I dont want to cause more trouble on that, but the guy who made them showed me the process of making them.

PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111
i guess paul thurott mentioned build 5000 on his winsupersite, so it must be true! :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:54 pm 
memreq wrote:
i guess paul thurott mentioned build 5000 on his winsupersite, so it must be true! :)

First, just because he mentioned it, it doesnt have to be real.

Second, where has he done? I never saw it and now I googled, and no results on his site.

PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111
its here:
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_gold.asp

obviously, he mentions another build of neptune, 2211

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
memreq wrote:
its here:
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_gold.asp

obviously, he mentions another build of neptune, 2211

It says.

The first pictures are NOT neptune.
The only NepTune build mentioned on that site is 5111
2211 is Whistler (also named under the picture).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune's build number        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:28 pm 
Administrator

I am sorry guys but this thread is locked down... as usual these topics start flaming and this is why we have this little nifty rule about these special builds, Neptune included... I guess some of you couldn't keep it together...

Here's a reminder:

---
Unacceptable Topics
- You may not make any posts regarding the legitimacy of any build of Windows codenamed "Chicago", "Neptune", "Nashville and "Odyssey" because of ongoing conflicts regarding the source of binary builds and information causing recurring problems on the forum.
---

Warnings has been issued, topic locked.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]