BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 12d, 0h, 31m | CPU: 31% | MEM: 6631MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:02 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
Wanting to explore a pre-XP version and although I can read a lot of the blurbs written on old websites I wanted to get people's opinions here.

Build 2526 (RC?) sounded like a few bug fixes were thrown at it.

Were there any builds that had vastly different a GUI to what XP is now? Any builds I should stay away from?

Thanks in advance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:25 am 
FTP Access

If I were you, I'd try out build 2296 (beta 1). This build had the 'watercolour' theme :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:31 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
lucas93 wrote:
If I were you, I'd try out build 2296 (beta 1). This build had the 'watercolour' theme :D

I heard about this. Luna is the current version in XP correct?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
I would try build 2416 it's stable (for a beta) and almost all software works on it and has the Watercolor theme.

And welcome to the forums! :mrgreen:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:04 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
Whistler_fan wrote:
I would try build 2416 it's stable (for a beta) and almost all software works on it and has the Watercolor theme.

Thanks! What is the general view of the Watercolour/Luna theme? Did people prefer the earlier version?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:01 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
bradphipps wrote:
Whistler_fan wrote:

Thanks! What is the general view of the Watercolour/Luna theme? Did people prefer the earlier version?

I prefer the watercolor theme because it has something the luna theme has not, it's more relaxing then luna (all those candy like colors) and the background reminds me of the teletubbies.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
Whistler_fan wrote:
bradphipps wrote:
Whistler_fan wrote:

I prefer the watercolor theme because it has something the luna theme has not, it's more relaxing then luna (all those candy like colors) and the background reminds me of the teletubbies.

Cheers. I'm keen to try it out. Just gotta gets me some more posts under me belt first.

I have to admit I wasn't that clued up with the theme change until a couple of weeks ago - I always thought XP was destined to be launched with Luna from the get go.

Was there ever a build that went way off on a tangent in terms of style or functionality? Or do the builds generally follow one another with minor tweaks here and there?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:55 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Build 2416 (and the following builds) also have a completely different theme:

Checkout the screenshots section for more pictures ;)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
Daniel wrote:
Build 2416 (and the following builds) also have a completely different theme:

Checkout the screenshots section for more pictures ;)

That's the Professional version isn't it? Cos the "Personal" version looks different:

http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/screenshot ... 0Personal/

Or does it have multiple default themes?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:43 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
The personal edition should have the same themes..

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
If you want Whistler without having to gain access to the FTPs, here's my server with 2 builds of Whistler:

http://www.silentuniverse.org/index.php ... 0Whistler/

It has 2296 and 2419.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
Don't you need product activation for 2419?

Will have a look for the key. Thanks for the link.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:05 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
Try: RBDC9-VTRC8-D7972-J97JY-PRVMG

Also for a link to other keys....:

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q ... arch&meta=

It's the 5th one down in the sub link. (When on the site, just use the Search function and type in Whistler )

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:19 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
Yup, just found it at the same time as you posted!

Thanks. Am downloading now. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:07 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
Tried installing Whistler 2419 on VMware Fusion 2.0 and got the following error(s):

I tried resetting the BIOS clock but I think someone mentioned something about disconnecting the VM image from the clock on my Macbook Pro as well.

Can someone help me or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:12 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Try changing the BIOS date to 14/01/2001.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Yeah, for Whister and Longhorn builds before 4051, you need to change BIOS date. For some reason the BIOS date doesn't need to be changed for NT 5.0 builds.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:32 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
Cheers. I think I changed it to 21/01/01 so I was out by a week!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
Got it! Thanks to everyone that helped.

My problem was the BIOS is written with US dates! Grrr. :D

Now, does Whistler 2419 have a timebomb? Do I have to apply the rules as indicated by the Collection Book:

http://djrob.betaarchive.co.uk/site/info/1.html

Quote:
VMWare workstation
Open your .vmx configuration file.
All you need to do is place the following lines of code anywhere in this text file.
But here the times will move with you, if its 1 day after installation, there is 1 day passed.
This is only to prevent that VMWare tools synchronize your system time (default is disabled), so actually this is not needed, but here for reference.

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
time.synchronize.continue = "FALSE"
time.synchronize.restore = "FALSE"
time.synchronize.resume.disk = "FALSE"
time.synchronize.shrink = "FALSE"

Dates are in: DD/MM/YYYY
The dates will stand only the times goes with you.
If you have entered: 15/10/1999 10:45, the next time when booted (2 hours later) the time is 15/10/1999 12:45, so only the time will change.

Or does this only apply to Longhorn builds?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What was the most stable version of Whistler?        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:07 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
The quote was to change the BIOS time. Works for all builds regardless of OS, but you only need to change the BIOS time if you are using Longhorn (before 4051), Whistler, any 9x build, and for Windows 7 builds that have expired.

Top  Profile