BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 21d, 23h, 38m | CPU: 12% | MEM: 5624MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: How Windows XP Mode works for me!        Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:32 am 
FTP Access

Well, I downloaded it from a torrent, of course I can't post it...

It works awesome.
In order to set it up you need two things. (four, if you want X86 and x64).
The other thing you need is "hardware virtualization", AFAIK all the Intel Core 2 Duos except the ones that have an E letter on the model have it. You must enable it in your BIOS. It's just a setting called Intel Virtualization (that of course must be enabled)
The four are on the torrent.

After you get the torrent you first install an update called Windows6.1-KB958559-x86.msu. It asks you for a reboot. After that, you then install the other package witch contains the "XP mode" thing. This installs, reboots again, and after you launch it it asks for a pwd, if you want automatic updates or not, and so on... Then it goes into a 10-15 min process of "Configuring for first time use". After that the machine boots.

You're now done.
In order to run a program there you have to install it there, so you open the machine, install it, and then you turn off the machine. It'll show on the start menu in Start > Windows Virtual PC > Virtual Xp installed apps (or something like that). You then just click it and after some secs it runs.

Everything is perfectly integrated! I got a tooltip balloon saying that I was not protected, and i Clicked it and it open the XP security center!

The apps run very nicely. Even some audio edition I've tested!

Let's see your eXPeriences with it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Windows XP Mode works for me!        Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:50 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Chicago wrote:

You can post a torrent as long as it is not a warez. Andy already said this earlier.

Chicago wrote:
The other thing you need is "hardware virtualization", AFAIK all the Intel Core 2 Duos except the ones that have an E letter on the model have it. You must enable it in your BIOS. It's just a setting called Intel Virtualization (that of course must be enabled)

I have Intel Core 2 Duo T5270 and it doesn't have VT.

Last edited by Day2Die on Sun May 03, 2009 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Windows XP Mode works for me!        Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:52 am 
FTP Access

Day2Die wrote:
Chicago wrote:

You can post a torrent as long as it is not a warez. Andy already said this earlier.

Chicago wrote:

lol, the fact also is that I didn't see the address... If u want it I can send the torrent 2 ur email.
:)
Edit:
Google History Saved the day lol
http://www.google.com/history/url?url=h ... qCrZQ&ct=w

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Windows XP Mode works for me!        Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:54 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Chicago wrote:
Day2Die wrote:
Chicago wrote:

Chicago wrote:

lol, the fact also is that I didn't see the address... If u want it I can send the torrent 2 ur email.
:)

Well, I don't have VT so I can't use it. Thank you anyway.

Here is the torrent: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4878615/Windows_7_XPM
It contain ones for both Windows 7 x86 and x64

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Windows XP Mode works for me!        Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:07 am 
FTP Access

Day2Die wrote:
Well, I don't have VT so I can't use it. Thank you anyway...

That about the E letter is sthg I read here...
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/VirtualPC ... ation.aspx

Scott Hanselman's ComputerZen.com wrote:

If you're running Intel, refer to this table at Intel to see if your chip supports VT. All the Core Duos support VT except the ones that end in "E" like the Intel Core Duo processor T2300E .

Cya!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Windows XP Mode works for me!        Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:20 am 
FTP Access

Actually Core Duo is not the same as Core 2 Duo. The low end models of the Core 2 (E4x00, E71/7200 etc) don't have VT.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Windows XP Mode works for me!        Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:35 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Here you can see if your Intel processor supports Intel Virtualization Technology:
Code:
http://processorfinder.intel.com/default.aspx

My E8500 supports it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Windows XP Mode works for me!        Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
They all blow
The intel processors sure have the virtualisation (excluding low-end core2duo).
Problem is that almost none of the motherboards out there support it. It's an enterprise class feature that is only available on high-end/workstation/server motherboards (It was like that half a year ago, no idea if it's being integrated on new boards these days).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How Windows XP Mode works for me!        Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
My E7200 doesn't support it... Sigh. Why the artificial limitations, Intel? Why?

Guess it will be one less feature I will be playing with... Grr...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Windows XP Mode works for me!        Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:06 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
This on TechNet, ALPC (my server), and MediaFire... one more :D

I havent tried this out yet, but it seems cool.

Top  Profile  WWW