BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 53d, 14h, 59m | CPU: 88% | MEM: 6116MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [HELP]Bootloader for Vista and XP        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:44 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
I need a bootloader for Vista and XP. The reason for this being, I have installed Win7 after having Vista pre-installed on my laptop; consequently I don't have the disk. I want to get rid of Win7, and use XP instead. (This is a highly modified version of XP, though, and it runs to today's standards.)

If you need more details, don't hesitate to ask.

-AC

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [HELP]Bootloader for Vista and XP        Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:41 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Firstly, you need to format your Win7 partition, then in diskmgmt.msc, mark the empty partition as 'Active'. Reboot your computer and boot from the xp disk. Install xp to the now empty partition. Now, you need to download a program called EasyBCD. You have to install the Vista boot menu using that program, and create options for XP and Vista in the boot menu. It shouldn't be that hard, but I'll help you out, if you get stuck.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [HELP]Bootloader for Vista and XP        Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:59 pm 
Donator

Or just format the Windows 7 partition and use the vista install disk and go to repair my computer> repair mbr...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [HELP]Bootloader for Vista and XP        Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:30 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
zamadatix wrote:
Or just format the Windows 7 partition and use the vista install disk and go to repair my computer> repair mbr...

He could if he had the Vista disk, which he doesn't (and clearly states).

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [HELP]Bootloader for Vista and XP        Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:48 pm 
Donator

I meant the recovery disks (which i guess he didnt make now that I think of it). ALWAYS MAKE RECOVERY DISKS.

On that note if you do not like bcd way try: http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/BartPEG ... EGuide.htm using the waik method.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [HELP]Bootloader for Vista and XP        Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:31 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
why not use the windows 7 disk instead? it will still repair a vista installation, even though it says it doesn't...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: [HELP]Bootloader for Vista and XP        Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:05 am 
Donator

pizzaboy192 wrote:
It will still repair a vista installation, even though it says it doesn't...

Now that is one useful find!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [HELP]Bootloader for Vista and XP        Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:08 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
i was shocked about it as well... I messed with the boot order (and purposely deleted the vista BCD from my IDE drive) and then used the 7 disk to try and get just the win7 BCD on a seperate drive, but i forgot to disable my IDE drive, which basically meant that the Win7 disk found and repaired my Vista installation, and (sadly) the BCD is still on a dieing IDE drive... just too lazy to try and correct my previous mistake

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: [HELP]Bootloader for Vista and XP        Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:53 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
Ye need to restore NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, BOOT.INI, to your root directory, and use the Win7 utility bootsect.exe (it should be on the dvd under \sources directory.

Run this utility using bootsect /NT52 c: (or whatever the boot drive is).

Reboot - it restarts into XP

delete the Win7 partition.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [HELP]Bootloader for Vista and XP        Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:52 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
Well, thanks for the help, guys. But I've sorted it now using EasyBCD.

Top  Profile