BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 20h, 13m | CPU: 46% | MEM: 5630MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Bootloader on USB?        Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:54 am 
Donator

I FINALLY got full Windows XP onto a usb (multitude of to small of drives, messed up editing files, and bad iso's) but I have one problem, it did not put the bootloader on the USB. I repaired th vista one (it is after all the office computer, a bit more important than a fling with a USB) but now I am clueless how the heck do I put a bootloader that will load xp on there?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Bootloader on USB?        Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:40 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
You may want to try Grub... but I have no idea how to do it on a USB drive except for using a UnetBootin style install of linux

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Bootloader on USB?        Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:46 pm 
Donator

GRUB always loads the XP bootloader though and that was not put on the usb, can I just copy the one from my computer (same XP install disk, I would have to change drive and stuff of course)?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Bootloader on USB?        Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:50 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
It would take alot of work to get a portable copy of the xp bootloader working, seeing as it relys on a physical disk number. If you can find that number, then you are good to go, but you must remember that it changes with each pc, so you may want to make more than one entry on the xp boot.ini file for multiple systems, probably so that it has disk 1-8 or so so that you can test it and find the workign one

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Bootloader on USB?        Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:50 am 
Donator

I have the boot.ini ready with 10 entries so I Am good for guess and check. Only problem is the version I used to hack the USB changes into was the XP performance edition one (installs in 500mb) but XP says I still need 1300 something mb. I used a 2.0 but that was USB 1.0 and took forever to do anything and I do not want to do that again.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Bootloader on USB?        Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:35 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
you do know that you need more than just boot.ini... don't you?
You also need... (according to my fresh copy of xp in a VM)
Autoexec.bat (prolly optional)
Config.sys
IO.sys
MSDOS.SYS
NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Bootloader on USB?        Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:47 am 
Donator

You definitely don't need autoexec.bat or config.sys. I'm not sure about io.sys or msdos.sys, you might not need them for XP.

If you're installing it onto flash memory make sure you disable the page file and defrag.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Bootloader on USB?        Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Debian Linux
zamadatix wrote:
I FINALLY got full Windows XP onto a usb (multitude of to small of drives, messed up editing files, and bad iso's) but I have one problem, it did not put the bootloader on the USB. I repaired th vista one (it is after all the office computer, a bit more important than a fling with a USB) but now I am clueless how the heck do I put a bootloader that will load xp on there?

Try MS-DOS 6.22 or 7.00. boot them up and then goto the windows directory of your flash, and then type WIN. (E.G. X standing for the drive it's mounted on
Quote:
cd X:\Windows
Quote:
WIN

then you may or may not have booted windows. Let me know and I may fix your problem.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Bootloader on USB?        Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
That is for old NON-NT kernel os'es.

Since that NT doesn't load with WIN.com (only used on 16-bit versions and 9x kernel line) this doesn't work.

The USB must be an active one and contains an bootloader, if you install it on that USB with on that PC only the USB and acting like and HD then it should have the bootloader, otherwise I don't know how to do it.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Bootloader on USB?        Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:12 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I tried (and failed miserably) to make a bootable USB drive with a regular xp disk, and a modified one that loaded the USB storage drivers at bootup. I did find that it made it alot easier to install it onto the USB disk if you disabled all the internal hard disks before trying to install it, seeing as it will keep it from installing a bootloader on anything else. then you just need to find a way to setup multiple hardware profiles (the only thing that i wasn't able to find out)
Offtopic Comment
so i used a linux live distro instead... I may try next week some time to revive my xp USB disk and upgrade to vista or 7 if it is possible...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Bootloader on USB?        Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:11 pm 
Donator

I would like to do that but my mom always complains if i dont do it while she is there and she doesnt relaly have much time. i found that if you install it then boot from it it syas ntldr is missing so all you would need ot do is copy ntldr and boot.ini to it

New Question: Can I ghost the image of a install (on a 2gb usb 1.0 drive) to a same formatted 1gb usb 2.0 drive (I am using XP install that is 500mb in size so its not an issue) and will it boot?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Bootloader on USB?        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:43 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Debian Linux
DjRob wrote:
That is for old NON-NT kernel os'es.

Since that NT doesn't load with WIN.com (only used on 16-bit versions and 9x kernel line) this doesn't work.

The USB must be an active one and contains an bootloader, if you install it on that USB with on that PC only the USB and acting like and HD then it should have the bootloader, otherwise I don't know how to do it.

I'm Sorry, I haven't fooled with MS-DOS in a While. The last Time I have successfully used MS-DOS for fun was last month.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Bootloader on USB?        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:07 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
zamadatix wrote:
New Question: Can I ghost the image of a install (on a 2gb usb 1.0 drive) to a same formatted 1gb usb 2.0 drive (I am using XP install that is 500mb in size so its not an issue) and will it boot?

i feel like answering with another question...
If you ghost a 1gb hard disk image from an IDE drive, and loaded that image onto a 1gb SATA drive, would it boot?

(yes... it should work, it would be like switching drives, be sure to ghost it block by block and not file by file, you want to maintain file integrety or whatever you call it...)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Bootloader on USB?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:17 am 
Donator

Difference is the beginning one is 2gb and the end one is 1gb so I did not know if it worked like (hence the question) but it sounds like it does.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Bootloader on USB?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:16 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
if you can shrink the partition to under 1gb first, it will work... ghost and most other disk imagers can do that for you

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM