BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 20h, 54m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 5792MB of 10943MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: NT Server 4 for Alpha/MIPS/PowerPC+Service Pack 3+Proxy Srvr        Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:46 am 
Donator

Was wondering if these were already on the server, if not I can up them.

I just started going though some old discs I had laying around and I ran across an old NT Server 4.00 installation disc. It must be OEM because it says "For Distribution Only with a New Server" on the disc. It also says "1-4 Processor Edition" and "Disc contains code to run on Windows NT-compatible x86, Pentium, Pentium PRO, MIPS R4x00, Alpha, and PowerPC systems."

"Version 4.0"
"1096 Part No. 000-48289"

I also have a Service Pack 3 disc but it only says it has support for "x86, Alpha, Pentium, and Pentium PRO". On this disc it says "For distribution only with a new PC or server." and "Includes Microsoft Internet Information Server version 3.0 and Microsoft FrontPage 97 for Windows NT Server."

"Version 4.0"
"0197 Part No. 000-60492"
"231278"

ALSO

Microsoft Proxy Server "The Extensible Firewall and Integrated Web Cache Server". Says it runs on "x86, Pentium, Pentium PRO, and Alpha".

"Version 2.0"
"0797 Part No. 96222"

There are different part numbers on all of the packaging and I have a CD KEY for Proxy Server but there doesn't seem to be one on the Server 4.0, I'm assuming it would be on the computer it came with.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT Server 4 for Alpha/MIPS/PowerPC+Service Pack 3+Proxy Srvr        Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:46 am 
Administrator

Do you know what Service Pack that NT4 disc has on it? BA has one with SP1 so if you got any other SP then send it up :).
You could however send up the Service Pack CD, that would be interesting to see. Do you have any possibility of scanning the covers of those discs (and the discs themselves)?

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: NT Server 4 for Alpha/MIPS/PowerPC+Service Pack 3+Proxy Srvr        Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:37 am 
Donator

It's the RTM build, 1381. It's hard to find build numbers for software so old. I wasn't sure where to look so I did a Google search and the first thing that popped up was a post on BetaArchive!

I have a scanner I can use... that's going to take me a few days to do though, honestly it's not something I want to deal with but I don't mind doing it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT Server 4 for Alpha/MIPS/PowerPC+Service Pack 3+Proxy Srvr        Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:06 pm 
Administrator

It would be great if you could upload the discs and make the scans =D Don't hurry tho, do it when you can, either way it's appreciated. Recommendations for scanning is that you scan it to a png or tif to preserve quality. And 300dpi or better :).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: NT Server 4 for Alpha/MIPS/PowerPC+Service Pack 3+Proxy Srvr        Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:39 pm 
FTP Access

I think the SP disc is lacking the Alpha and PPC code because they dropped support for those architectures very soon after NT4 was released - I also have 3 of those SP3 discs, and they apply to both Workstation and Server. Back then OEM copies came as the NT4 CD and the latest service pack on a separate disc, both inside the plastic shrinkwrap, along with the "Getting Started" book that had the COA as part of the front cover, and the three boot floppies - I don't think they slipstreamed the SPs into the CDs apart from SP1 which is what the vast majority of NT4 CDs are (SP1 came out only a few weeks after the RTM, there were apparently bugs in the gold version that had to be fixed quickly and so they released it again as SP1-integrated). You can check the SP level by booting from the CD, it will say on the blue boot screen if SP1 is built-in or not.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT Server 4 for Alpha/MIPS/PowerPC+Service Pack 3+Proxy Srvr        Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:35 am 
Donator

Adding to what Vista Ultimate R2 said I don't think they ever released non sp1 OEM versions outside of maybe the USA where OEM's would have got copies first unlike the rest of the world. The most likely reason being that the production run was changed to include SP1 for the OEMs so probably the first everyone other than America got was from a second run that was changed to include SP1 causing only the first lot of machines sold in America to have the older version. This coupled with the fact they were probably companies which means it would only be copyable by IT employees well the disc makes it rare unless MS leaked it or sent the original to other people.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT Server 4 for Alpha/MIPS/PowerPC+Service Pack 3+Proxy Srvr        Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:37 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win10/Debian Linux
Count me in on someone that's interested. I find it really bizarre that Microsoft dropped support for PPC, Mips, and Alpha codebases, on a production-level OS. Think of it like dropping support for x86-64 on Vista SP1/SP2. It just seems like a really strange thing to do, especially since there were, at the time, manufactorers selling systems with NT4 on those platforms. I wonder if we'll ever see a Microsoft Server product that goes above and beyond x86 ever again.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: NT Server 4 for Alpha/MIPS/PowerPC+Service Pack 3+Proxy Srvr        Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:07 am 
Administrator

jimmsta wrote:
Count me in on someone that's interested. I find it really bizarre that Microsoft dropped support for PPC, Mips, and Alpha codebases, on a production-level OS. Think of it like dropping support for x86-64 on Vista SP1/SP2. It just seems like a really strange thing to do, especially since there were, at the time, manufactorers selling systems with NT4 on those platforms. I wonder if we'll ever see a Microsoft Server product that goes above and beyond x86 ever again.

That's not so very odd if you think about it. Supporting and maintaining those platforms costs a _lot_ of money, and considering that the platforms themselves where becoming outdated and without any further development (no new chips, no support from hardware manufacturers etc) dropping it was the only logical choice. You can't run say, Windows 2008 on an old MIPS server. x86-64 is common hardware today which makes it more logical from a cost perspective to support it. Even in the NT days PPC, MIPS and Alpha technology was becoming outdated. What company would spend millions of dollars supporting a platform no one develops and uses in a year or two?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: NT Server 4 for Alpha/MIPS/PowerPC+Service Pack 3+Proxy Srvr        Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:31 pm 
FTP Access

jimmsta wrote:
I wonder if we'll ever see a Microsoft Server product that goes above and beyond x86 ever again.

Don't forget Server 2003 and 2008 Itanium ;)

mrpijey wrote:
Even in the NT days PPC, MIPS and Alpha technology was becoming outdated.

Maybe in terms of Windows machines, yes, though of course there were PPCs launched not long after NT4 that were "twice as fast" (to quote the advertising, and back then at least it was actually true) as those Windows servers and unlike most of those Windows boxes, if they have a few upgrades can still run the "world's most advanced" Server OS even today ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT Server 4 for Alpha/MIPS/PowerPC+Service Pack 3+Proxy Srvr        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:17 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51 build 1057
I bet there's no MIPS directory in the CD.

Top  Profile