BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 4h, 18m | CPU: 29% | MEM: 5728MB of 10970MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

What do you think of Windows?
Windows XP is a great OS but I have moved on 17%  17%  [ 36 ]
I am sticking with Windows XP 11%  11%  [ 22 ]
I am eagerly waiting for Windows 7 25%  25%  [ 51 ]
I happy with what I see in the pre-release version of Windows 7 21%  21%  [ 44 ]
Windows Vista isn't all that bad 20%  20%  [ 41 ]
Windows Vista is the worst version of Windows 6%  6%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 207
 PostPost subject: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Microsoft will allow Windows 7 users to downgrade to XP

Microsoft and its PC partners are going to allow Windows 7 users to downgrade not just to Windows Vista, but also to Windows XP, Microsoft officials are confirming.

Some company watchers have been wondering about the downgrade rights that Microsoft will offer when Windows 7 ships. When AppleInsider reported this weekend that HP was going to offer Windows 7 users the ability to downgrade to XP, I asked Microsoft about the story.

Here’s what a spokesperson representing the company’s Windows client division told me via e-mail on April 5:

MJF: Does Microsoft have downgrade rights for Windows XP planned as part of Windows 7?

Microsoft spokesperson: Yes. This is not the first time that Microsoft has offered downgrade rights to a version other than its immediate predecessor and our Software Assurance volume-license customers can always downgrade to any previous version of Windows. (Note: Microsoft changed the statement from “Software Assurance” to “volume license” Monday afternoon.)

(The spokesperson clarified later that downgrade rights allow users to install previous versions of Windows, not just the most recent predecessor. In other words, a Software-Assurance-covered volume-license user who wanted to downgrade from Vista could, technically, go back to Windows 2000 or even Windows 95, not just XP. Who knew?)

MJF: Is Microsoft cutting these kinds of rights deals with each OEM individually? Has it made such an arrangement with HP?

Microsoft spokesperson: Downgrade rights policies are the same for all of our main OEM partners and what you are talking about is not a special arrangement. Since the End User right to Windows XP Professional is part of the license terms for these editions, it’s really about making facilitation options easier for our OEM customers and End Users.

(It’s worth noting that the only two versions of Windows Vista for which Microsoft and its PC makers provide downgrade rights are Vista Business and Ultimate — and those must downgrade to XP Professional. I’d think similar limitations would be likely with Windows 7.)

The AppleInsider report claimed that Microsoft and HP had agreed to provide downgrade rights from October (one rumored launch target for Windows 7) and April 30, 2010. Microsoft officials did not comment on whether either date is real. And HP didn’t respond to my request for comment at all. (I am doubtful about the April 30th deadline. Why only provide downgrade rights for a handful of months?)

Update: The Microsoft spokesperson said the April 30 cu-off date in the original story is not something the company is ready to discuss. The exact quote: “No dates have been announced for the end of Windows 7 downgrade right facilitation to Windows XP.”

Update No. 2: An HP spokesperson responded Monday afternoon, concurring with Microsoft’s statement that Microsoft terms and conditions are consistent across OEMs. The spokesperson declined to provide any details, citing “confidentiality” of HP communications.

With Windows 7 looking good (even at this beta stage), why would users want to downgrade to XP, you may wonder. For many businesses, supporting a slew of different Windows releases is a nightmare. They’d prefer to have all their users on one (or possibly two) different versions.

If Microsoft ends up finding a way to insure that legacy Windows apps work on Windows 7 — beyond supporting them with a combination of Virtual PC and MED-V, another option available only to users who buy Microsoft’s Software Assurance licensing — downgrading to an older version of Windows from Windows 7 could look a whole lot less appealing.

Meanwhile, in related news, TechARP — the site that brought us the still-unconfirmed-but-likely-true report that Microsoft is planning to offer PC buyers a free upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 if they purchase new systems starting this summer — is now reporting that users who downgrade to XP also will be eligible for free Win 7 upgrades via the Windows 7 Upgrade Option program.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2456

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:29 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
haiku
And so they should. The fact is windows XP is still an up to date operating system. Many people weather just not liking vista/7 or not having an up to date PC will use XP for many years to come.

Why try and fix something thats not broken...

I never understood vista, for me it just added bloated features and made me have to learn everything all over again...

Having said that... Windows 7 seems like what vista should have been. I am highly impressed. I know a big contradiction to what i have just said.

Last edited by damian on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:39 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I take Vista x64 over XP x64 -> There is a simulation program that I run over night... When using XP x64, switching between 3gig programs has a several second loading delay (as it updates that programs drawing controls) while on Vista x64 no delay exists.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:50 am 
Donator

I currently use XP purely out of having an older PC.
On the theme of this topic, if your a large buisness with a large amount of computer ranging in age, its probably going to make your life easier if they all run the same OS, regardless of what the newer computers come pre-licensed with.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:56 pm 
Donator

I did not even know you could downgrade XD

I use XP now but that is mostly because of the crappy amount of ram on this computer, otherwise i use Vista x64.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:57 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win8
When Microsoft releases Windows 7, I will definitely move to final. Currently I am using 7 as my main OS and suprisingly, it works much faster than XP on my machine. :D
Though my old laptop stays with XP/Linux.
Also I've had Vista, but I prefer XP/2003 over it and 7 over XP/2003. :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:50 am 
Donator

The only thing I hate on Vista/7 is the inability to correctly safely remove USB drive, which I never encountered on XP, bad drivers maybe? Other than that, I'm moving to 7 when it's released. It definitely worth my every penny. :D

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:09 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
FarCry3r wrote:
The only thing I hate on Vista/7 is the inability to correctly safely remove USB drive, which I never encountered on XP, bad drivers maybe? Other than that, I'm moving to 7 when it's released. It definitely worth my every penny. :D

Actually, they already fixed that since build 7048. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:59 am 
Donator

Day2Die wrote:
Actually, they already fixed that since build 7048. :D

Really? I'm still on 7000 and kinda lazy to upgrade to other build, so if this true, I have no reason to regret using Windows 7 at all! :D

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn Concept
I stuck to Windows XP instead of upgrading to Vista because it was faster and stabler. I'm going to Windows 7 because it's up-to-date, does what I want it to do in the pre-release versions and most importantly, is even faster.

Alexander

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:27 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
When the final version come out, I hope to get a Windows XP vs Windows 7 benchmark

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:09 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn Concept
That'd be interesting. I might benchmark build 7077 and XP when I have some time.

Alexander

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:46 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
this s a huge crop of crap to me....i cant believe microsoft would allow such a thing, hell! do they not have any confidence in what they are doing with Windows 7, imo thats nuthin but added embarrassment on microsofts behalf...

peas
cityboy

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn Concept
They're still anxious as Hell about people switching to Mac OS X or even Linux (mainly because of instability), so they're carrying on support for Windows XP as if it was a 'Last Resort' for Microsoft.

Alexander

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Alexandergrim wrote:
They're still anxious as Hell about people switching to Mac OS X or even Linux (mainly because of instability), so they're carrying on support for Windows XP as if it was a 'Last Resort' for Microsoft.

Alexander

It's only really costing Microsoft though. I don't see why MS would persist to sell something that is only costing them money to maintain and support. Neither Vista or 7 are unstable, though I can see the attraction of sticking with XP for a little longer in business, these people will have VLKs and therefore no need for a downgrade option. Microsoft really should push against market forces and push to break the XP monopoly. It's just amusing that Microsoft's biggest enemy at the moment is their own product.

I can't see any large amount of people switching to OS X and certainly not Linux, because Microsoft's biggest holding force is compatibility, and actually simplicity. The fact remains Windows is incredibly simple to use because of the amount of people that know how to use it. New users will always run into an issue, no matter what OS they use. With Windows, they can just call almost any of their friends and they'd be able to help with a large amount of problems. Mac OS X is next best for new users. Linux would be a nightmare for someone unfamiliar with the internet (and probably the most likely to encounter problems on as well). Businesses are extremely reluctant to break with Windows because people know how to use it, and it offers great compatibility, and has the largest technical support available for it.

Microsoft should now use their monopoly to their advantage and push through Windows 7. I think they're being far too over-cautious about using their strength to make 7 sell. The fact that XP still holds such a high market share shows that Microsoft are too reluctant to encourage uptake to Vista. It's not even being pirated as much as XP was. Maybe that's where 7 will help them most, it'll wash away the image of Vista and hopefully have a much better image. Vista has been hurt by unfounded criticism, it's not a bad product at all, especially since SP1 was released, it's been a great product, more stable than XP ever was for me, and even more responsive in general use, though it suffers from severe performance issues compared to my XP-based netbooks in certain areas (boot time and file transfers being the most critical). Still, Microsoft must really use their huge advantage and put their complete faith in 7. They have a great product coming up, and it has the potential to re-cement Windows' position as the most popular OS, revitalise Microsoft's profits, and set them up for another generation or two. Appeasing the XP users will only hurt Microsoft, it'll show a huge lack of confidence in their new product.

wow, wrote far too much, so better stop here ><

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:40 pm 
Donator

I've used Vista since 9/2007 and haven't had many problems. It's a good enough OS, and infinitely more secure than XP. 7 appears to only improve on that. 7 will also be when I finally move to all x64.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:19 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Se7en #7068
XP is like a cockroach... everytime you go to squash it, it just squirms away.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:58 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
My PC can run vista with ease but I still choose XP, because I see no reason to change, I got the PC in '07 and ran Vista RTM, but changed to XP due to issues with compatibility, now that vista is older those issues have faded, Vista isn't a bad OS, but XP runs fine and I see no benefits to upgrading

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:26 am 
FTP Access

Where's the "I honestly don't like Vista but it wasn't as bad as ME/etc." option? :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
In my opinion, Windows XP is a very out-of-date operating system, so I only use XP on my old laptop, because my family uses it regularly, and they don't like Vista, because the laptop is so slow with it (only 512megs of ram :( ). My new PC (Dec. 2008) can easily run Windows Vista. I dual-boot Vista with Win7 on that machine.
In my country (Hungary), there are lot of people who are anti-vista, and some of them are against Windows 7 too, without even testing it. There are a lot of people who think that Microsoft software is evil, which is ridiculous.
I really hope that this kind of thinking would change with the release of Windows 7. Windows 7 is a lot faster than Vista, so I use the 7 most of the time, and I advise everyone who has a relatively new (post-2006) PC, to use it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:37 pm 
Donator

Why do so many people insist on installing XP on new hardware?

XP was designed for 2001 hardware.
Vista was designed for 2006-2007 hardware.
7 will be designed for 2009-2010 hardware.

Get with the times, people

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:01 pm 
Donator

I'm still on XP while I'm writing this. The simple reason is that I'm always out of space since vista/7 installation takes more space on my 120gb hdd. (awaiting replacement)
Plus, it's easier to clean up an old installation. I don't see that great of a benefit on vista and 7 is still in beta, well RC technically speaking.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
The other day, while I was browsing the laptops at Microcenter, there was this older man who was asking a sales associate if he could downgrade a laptop he has just bought (which had Vista on it, by the way) to Windows XP. The sales associate said that while the OEM wouldn't allow it, Microcenter can downgrade it for him, at an added cost.

This particular man also claimed that Vista was terrible for him, and that he just wanted XP. Yet it seems that he hasn't even taken the laptop out of the box yet and booted it...

It's amazing how rumors about Vista continue to persist. It's a great OS. Too bad Microsoft is already pushing along with 7.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:59 pm 
Its true, Vista was quite stable and its compatibility story was greatly exaggerated. I have been using Vista on my main machine since Beta 2 but had a build of it somewhere for much longer than that. I have not run XP since and don't see any reason to downgrade, ever. Like someone noted earlier the "eyecandy" that Vista brought along also dragged along a hardware accelerated desktop composition engine. This meant that all programs render their entire window contents at all times and the gpu then deals with the rest of the user's viewport. It's the reason you'll never see shadows of another window in a crashed program. Nor will there ever be any slow down when switching windows. EVER.

Its snappy and responsive unlike MacOS X back before the intel days. (yes it was MUCH less snappy ask a friend)(Dual/Quad G5s excepted)

I hate this anti-vista stigmata that has risen up from nowhere. These so-called experts will rag on Vista day and night wihtout ever using it on their main machine for more than a day. ("it was that bad guyz") Ironically these same peopel seem to be jumping the new bandwagon to adorn Windows 7 with unnecessary praise. Its funny when they go and compliment a Windows Vista feature they just discovered in Windows 7.

Not that Windows 7 is bad, its just a much smaller upgrade from Windows Vista than Vista was to XP.

PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP refused to die even with the release of Windows 7        Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:16 pm 
Donator

With the amount of praise Windows 7 has got it will probably equal out vista. Windows 7 is not supposed to be and does not need to be as big of a change from XP because they know they can sell Vista if people start out liking it from the beginning.

Top  Profile