BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 6h, 3m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 6508MB of 11034MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Boot from VHD on xp?        Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:10 am 
Donator

Is it possible to boot from a vhd in windows xp?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Boot from VHD on xp?        Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:53 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
In one word: NO!

Sadly, XP doesnt have the ability to mount or boot VHD Images.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Boot from VHD on xp?        Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:59 pm 
Donator

Ok thanks. Another question, can I boot an ISO file then from NTLDR?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Boot from VHD on xp?        Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
4512jth wrote:

No, you'll need to either mount it within Windows using something such as Alcohol or Daemon Tools, or burn the ISO to a disc and boot from that.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Boot from VHD on xp?        Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:48 pm 
@4512jth
If you want to test a new OS without the risk of damaging your current OS just to see, how it looks or to use some of its tools you can install it on a virtual machine. Most popular VM are: VirtualBox (my personal favorite), Virtual PC from Microsoft and VMware Workstation (you have to buy it). Unfortunately they are usually slower (your computer has to divide resources to both host operating system and the one (or sometimes more) installed on a virtual machine). Hope it helps.

PostPost subject: Re: Boot from VHD on xp?        Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
Derf wrote:
4512jth wrote:

No, you'll need to either mount it within Windows using something such as Alcohol or Daemon Tools, or burn the ISO to a disc and boot from that.

Well NTLDR can boot Iso's, i only forgot how. The repair disks of some Acer notebooks use an option in SETUPLDR or NTLDR to boot ISO's, i will seach for the CD.

Top  Profile