BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 6h, 20m | CPU: 57% | MEM: 5521MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Installing WinFLP        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:03 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Hi,

I'm trying to install WinFLP on a computer which is diskless, i.e: no CD/Floppy Drives

I've created two partitions on the hard drive, one which contains the setup files, the other is blank. Both are formatted to FAT32 filesystems.

The drive used to contain Linux, and I deleted all three partitions used by Linux in Windows. (Attached drive to Windows computer, delete and created new partitions.)

When I try to boot from the hard drive in the diskless machine, Grub wants to load but is not loading. So what do I do from here?

All I get is "GRUB" on the monitor, and no install for WinFLP

Help?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:12 pm 
Donator

If it will boot from USB you could move the installer onto a USB drive or if it will PXE boot you can do a network install. I'll find the links for info on either one of those if you let us know.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing WinFLP        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
ct2k7 wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to install WinFLP on a computer which is diskless, i.e: no CD/Floppy Drives

I've created two partitions on the hard drive, one which contains the setup files, the other is blank. Both are formatted to FAT32 filesystems.

The drive used to contain Linux, and I deleted all three partitions used by Linux in Windows. (Attached drive to Windows computer, delete and created new partitions.)

When I try to boot from the hard drive in the diskless machine, Grub wants to load but is not loading. So what do I do from here?

All I get is "GRUB" on the monitor, and no install for WinFLP

Help?

For the bootloader part, you will have to erase the MBR, even though you have formatted the drives, the bootloader itself remains in the MBR.

Best to erase all partitions, then remake the partitions and format.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
it won't boot from USB, how do I erase the MBR from within Windows of the Drive? I don't have any other machines, and rewiring the machine to use the drive as primary isn't an option: the last time I did it, I couldn't connect the cable back - too little space and tight cable :9

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
ct2k7 wrote:
it won't boot from USB, how do I erase the MBR from within Windows of the Drive? I don't have any other machines, and rewiring the machine to use the drive as primary isn't an option: the last time I did it, I couldn't connect the cable back - too little space and tight cable :9

Hang it on a Windows machine.
Boot the machine, go to the command prompt, type in the following:

DISKPART

let it finished until this is the command line:

DISKPART>
Type: list disk
Type: select disk X (where X is the disc number)
Type: clean

Then all will be deleted (1 erase), so it's a clean drive without anything.

Then type EXIT, EXIT (2times) to exit diskpart and the command prompt.

And only the FLP files and an empty disk cannot boot an computer.

You could also do is this, mount the drive in the othercomputer wich has an CD drive, install it from there, then put in back in the othermachine, let it boot, all drivers install and reboot.

You shouldn't have any issues with activation because its already VLK.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
DjRob wrote:
ct2k7 wrote:

Hang it on a Windows machine.
Boot the machine, go to the command prompt, type in the following:

DISKPART

let it finished until this is the command line:

DISKPART>
Type: list disk
Type: select disk X (where X is the disc number)
Type: clean

Then all will be deleted (1 erase), so it's a clean drive without anything.

Then type EXIT, EXIT (2times) to exit diskpart and the command prompt.

And only the FLP files and an empty disk cannot boot an computer.

You could also do is this, mount the drive in the othercomputer wich has an CD drive, install it from there, then put in back in the othermachine, let it boot, all drivers install and reboot.

You shouldn't have any issues with activation because its already VLK.

I'll try it in a min, just going to eat dinner. Hopefully it'll work :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:39 pm 
Donator

Quote:

That's seldom worked for me. I don't even both trying it anymore.

You can install Windows over a network if the machine will PXE boot using free software, I had to do it a while ago to a machine that had no floppy/CD and wouldn't boot to USB.

Use this: http://www.ultimatedeployment.org/

It's a bit time consuming and you need vmWare on your machine but it works. You'll also need to use the vmWare machine as the DHCP server, or you need to be able to configure your DHCP server-boot to be the IP of the vmWare machine. If you run into any issues let me know. I had one when I did it but managed to sort it out, their forums don't seem to be very helpful.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:16 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I've used Ultimatedeployment before actually, never got it to successfully install W2k Pro on the same machine actually - I can't change the IP without messing everything up. The thing about installing on an alternate machine, tried that with W2k, but failed, miserably.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:34 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
*sigh* looks like UDA now :(, here comes my problems.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:50 pm 
Donator

This sounds lika a simple MBR problem.
The fact you don't have a CD drive, means you will have to look at alternatives to using the recovery console function in a Windows XP installation disk.
The app described in the above link.
If you don't have a working Windows OS on this machine, then you will need to boot into a WinPE disk to run the app.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
jabster wrote:
This sounds lika a simple MBR problem.
The fact you don't have a CD drive, means you will have to look at alternatives to using the recovery console function in a Windows XP installation disk.
The app described in the above link.
If you don't have a working Windows OS on this machine, then you will need to boot into a WinPE disk to run the app.

At the moment, there is nothing on it but an MBR :( I'll try again tomorrow :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:07 am 
Donator

Lol, and I'm not awake, theres no way you could boot into a WinPE disk without a CD drive...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:34 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
jabster wrote:
Lol, and I'm not awake, theres no way you could boot into a WinPE disk without a CD drive...

PXE :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:54 am 
FTP Access

ct2k7 wrote:
jabster wrote:

You can use this howto.

ris-linux is fun :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:17 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
thenico wrote:
ct2k7 wrote:
jabster wrote:

You can use this howto.

ris-linux is fun :)

Time to install a Linux Server :s - I was just looking at the article before seeing your post actually!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:29 am 
Donator

I just noticed your PM, I won't bother replying if you're going to try this. Especially because it seems like there are a lot of things that could cause that to happen.

One thing you should know that might save you a bit of trouble. If your can configure your existing DHCP server-boot you won't need to run a DHCP server on the Linux RIS machine, that just complicates things and makes you change your network around. Instead, configure the DHCP boot options to boot from the Linux RIS machine. Then you can avoid screwing around with your network and installing a seperate DHCP server.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:40 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
QuiescentWonder wrote:
I just noticed your PM, I won't bother replying if you're going to try this. Especially because it seems like there are a lot of things that could cause that to happen.

One thing you should know that might save you a bit of trouble. If your can configure your existing DHCP server-boot you won't need to run a DHCP server on the Linux RIS machine, that just complicates things and makes you change your network around. Instead, configure the DHCP boot options to boot from the Linux RIS machine. Then you can avoid screwing around with your network and installing a seperate DHCP server.

I'm going to try reading that when I wake up later today as I honestly cannot figure out what you mean :( I'd have to install a distro of linux on a VM :|, the download will be painfully slow though, so it may be better if we talked about UDA for a while. Download restrictions are awful at the moment due to some network faults somewhere between my house and the exchange/DSLAM.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:32 pm 
Donator

You said you can't get access to the UDA web configuration since you changed the network settings? Get to a prompt on the UDA VM and type 'ifconfig' without quotes and you should be able to see all of the network settings. Just double-check all of the settings. Let's keep the conversation to this thread instead of PMs, someone other than me might also be able to help when you run into problems.

I don't have it in front of me right now, I think after you boot up UDA you need to login in the VM before you can do anything. I think the username is 'root' and the password is 'test'.

I don't know a lot about vmWare but if you could figure out how to copy and paste the results of 'ifconfig' into a post, that would be helpful

Top  Profile