BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 19h, 40m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 1923MB of 3073MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows update on NT 4.0        Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:51 am 
FTP Access

Does anybody know the site of Windows Update for Windows NT 4.0? I can't find anywhere. I have IE 4.01 SP2 And Windows NT Workstation 4.0 with SP6a.
Update: Never mind. I have IE6 and Windows Update on Windows NT looks pretty cool.

Last edited by Dukenukem5 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:00 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
The update website is http://update.microsoft.com. You need IE 6 in order to get Windows Update working though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:58 am 
FTP Access

Wasn't there a v2 one or something?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:36 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
If you update it to IE5 and then visit Windows Update you should get the correct version.

In Windows 98 you still get the v4.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:48 pm 
Donator

Windows Update no longer works for Windows NT 4. Get SP6a, and get the "Post-Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a Security Rollup Package".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:13 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
Private builds of NT4 sp7 (slipstreamed) exist, eg by fdv (fred vorck).

None the same, these have extra things added/subtracted over applying the SP and fixes to the base OS. This do not make it a raw build.

I have in works a sp7 build that does not add/remove anything not in the service packs, except as following.

1. Alternate NT5 ntldr/ntdetect.com
2. Alternate NT5 cd-boot sector.

I do plan to include the original NT4 versions in the final release.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:12 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS 7
os2fan2 wrote:
1. Alternate NT5 ntldr/ntdetect.com
2. Alternate NT5 cd-boot sector.

I do plan to include the original NT4 versions in the final release.

At a former job I had, our Main Tech at the time had to replace the NTLDR and associated files, in a NT 4.0 install after someone @ the Client used Partition Magic to increase the size of the boot drive ( the one with the NTLDR files) past 8Gb and Automagically NT would not longer boot .... we got the TIP after placing a call to MS Tech Support ... it was strange being told to take the boot files from win 2k and replace the ones for booting the NT 4.0 install .... but it worked

now if any of that made sense .... you can also find a KB Article these days about doing the same thing ... back in 2000 it was Voodoo Magic ...

8-|

If you can't prove it didn't happen then it must be true and you are probably part of the cover-up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
NTLDR needs to know about it if the partition goes past 8.4g. I have booted nt4 off a 73g disk with the nt4 loaders, though.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS 7
os2fan2 wrote:
NTLDR needs to know about it if the partition goes past 8.4g. I have booted nt4 off a 73g disk with the nt4 loaders, though.

my understanding is, there was a hard coded limitation due to the age of the software

ie you cannot install the boot files on a partition bigger than 2 gb on initial setup afterwards you can stretch out to 8.4 and have D, E, F, ... etc drives alot bigger ....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224526/en-us

Quote:
SUMMARY
Although Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 can, in theory, support partitions of up to 16 exabytes in size by using the NTFS file system, the maximum size of the system partition is limited to 7.8 gigabytes (GB).

Note If you install software updates to a Windows NT 4.0-based computer that has a system partition that is larger than 7.8 GB, your computer may not restart correctly. For example, after you install a security update, you may receive the following error message when you restart your computer:

OS Loader v4.01
Disk I/O error status=00000001
Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: winnt\system32\Ntoskrnl.exe
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

System partitions that are larger than 7.8 GB can be created only by using third-party partitioning utilities. When Windows NT 4.0 starts, the operating system can use only files that are on the first 7.8 GB of the system partition. After Windows NT 4.0 is started, the operating system can access all files on the volume. However, you may not be able to resolve this problem by manually copying the Ntoskrnl.exe file to the system partition, because the file may be written beyond the first 7.8 GB of the system partition. The only way to make sure that the Ntoskrnl.exe file is written to the first 7.8 GB is to repartition the drive to 7.8 GB or less.
[/quote]

If you can't prove it didn't happen then it must be true and you are probably part of the cover-up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:54 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
The limitation is due to a CHS thing: 1024C * 63H * 256S * 512 gives 256.

Even so, once the OS is up, it is possible to bypass the limits by using an OS supplied bios.

Penning (my 1992 486dx66 computer - completely rebuilt) had a 504 MB limit, but OS/2 and NT were happy to load their own bios to see the 1G and 1600MB diskettes this box had.

If you install NT4 into a partition in the first 4g (even an extended one), you seem to need the original NTLDR for the service pack to work.

Top  Profile  WWW