BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 21h, 56m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 5804MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:22 pm 
Donator

yea it detects at logon that you haven't used the correct key, but it didn't for this vhd

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:50 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
LOL, the same thing happened to me when I installed Windows XP Professional (non-VLK) with the Professional VLK's PIDGEN.DLL (and before that, the same thing happene when I tried to instlal it with Windows 2000's PIDGEN.DLL).
I think the file, responsible for this, is DPCDLL.DLL. At least it's the only other file that I found out being different between the Professional non-VLK and Professional VLK versions.
So I would suggest you to somehow replace your Professional VLK's DPCDLL.DLL with the Home Edition one. ;)

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
___ wrote:
all of the titlebars are invisible but still work for moving them around. If i hover the mouse over the green thing it says "Click here to begin", but nothing happens. But i can press the windows key and a squashed startmenu comes up

Wow, that is really weird! I tried converting Pro to Home once using tNT, but when I rebooted it just said something like "an error occurred when checking the licence for this computer" and it logged out again. It was a VLK XP Pro, which might be why it didn't like being converted to Home, whereas this VHD doesn't mind as it's retail.

The same thing happened when I tried replacing PidGen.dll on the XP CD with that file from 2000 - it installs using a 2000 serial key, but then you get that error when you try to log on to your 2000-serial XP installation - it maybe somehow detects that your serial doesn't match your version of Windows? Possibly you could make an XP that accepted 2000 keys if you replaced all the files that you have to replace to turn XP retail into XP VLK (although then again some of them may be sufficiently different to cause the instalation to fail).

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:36 am 
FTP Access

OBrasilo wrote:
LOL, the same thing happened to me when I installed Windows XP Professional (non-VLK) with the Professional VLK's PIDGEN.DLL (and before that, the same thing happene when I tried to instlal it with Windows 2000's PIDGEN.DLL).
I think the file, responsible for this, is DPCDLL.DLL. At least it's the only other file that I found out being different between the Professional non-VLK and Professional VLK versions.
So I would suggest you to somehow replace your Professional VLK's DPCDLL.DLL with the Home Edition one. ;)

I saw somewhere that to convert Retail XP to a full VLK XP you need to replace the following files with the VLK versions:

Code:
win9xupg
dpcdll.dl
nt5inf.ca
oembios.bi
oembios.ca
oembios.da
oembios.si
pidgen.dll
setup.ini
setupreg.hiv

I'm guessing that if you put the 2000 versions of those files into an XP CD you would probably break the XP install in some way though, as they are too different?

If you replaced all those files in XP Pro with the XP Home versions, wouldn't you actually install a Home-branded XP, as well as it accepting Home keys (doesn't setupreg.hiv determine that?)?

Interesting stuff - could do with some more investigation ;) Another thing I've been wondering about is whether you could replace some files in Vista Ultimate with the versions from Home Basic, and be able to install and activate Ultimate using a valid Home Basic key (maybe just those two files that you have to replace in order to activate using an RC2 key?)?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:43 am 
Donator

Quote:
If you replaced all those files in XP Pro with the XP Home versions, wouldn't you actually install a Home-branded XP, as well as it accepting Home keys (doesn't setupreg.hiv determine that?)?

AFAIK, messing around with the setupreg.hiv can indeed change the type of XP you're installing. You can convert Home to a "half-Pro", for example, but it'll install and activate using the Home key.

Regarding the listing of the files above: Please keep the topic clean. No download links and the like. Otherwise, the topic will have to be closed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:30 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
OBrasilo wrote:

I saw somewhere that to convert Retail XP to a full VLK XP you need to replace the following files with the VLK versions:

Code:
win9xupg
dpcdll.dl
nt5inf.ca
oembios.bi
oembios.ca
oembios.da
oembios.si
pidgen.dll
setup.ini
setupreg.hiv

I'm guessing that if you put the 2000 versions of those files into an XP CD you would probably break the XP install in some way though, as they are too different?

Interesting stuff - could do with some more investigation ;) Another thing I've been wondering about is whether you could replace some files in Vista Ultimate with the versions from Home Basic, and be able to install and activate Ultimate using a valid Home Basic key (maybe just those two files that you have to replace in order to activate using an RC2 key?)?

i did that with my XP Home, converted it to a corporate version. It still put XP Home Edition in the boot loader. If you tried to slipstream a service pack, it converts it back to Home as the SP picks it up as Home not the corp version (same with nLite)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
Well, I remember than back when I was still getting that error message on logging in (the one saying that it can't check the license or something), I cracked the Windows, installed Service Pack 1a, cracked it again, but when I went to change my product key in that Windows Activation thing, it still accepted the VLK keys.
Then I was lucky enough that I suddenly found my Windows XP Professional VLK MSDN CD, and installed that. No cracks needed anymore, works perfectly.
Now I got a genuine VLK CD key (for Windows XP SP 2, though), but my Windows XP doesn't accept it for some reason - it continuously says it's not valid, so I can't use it. I tried that key with the Windows XP Professional non-VLK PIDGEN.DLL as well - the same.
Are Windows XP SP 2 CD keys different from the non-SP 2 ones? :?:

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:08 am 
FTP Access

OBrasilo wrote:
Well, I remember than back when I was still getting that error message on logging in (the one saying that it can't check the license or something), I cracked the Windows, installed Service Pack 1a, cracked it again, but when I went to change my product key in that Windows Activation thing, it still accepted the VLK keys.
Then I was lucky enough that I suddenly found my Windows XP Professional VLK MSDN CD, and installed that. No cracks needed anymore, works perfectly.
Now I got a genuine VLK CD key (for Windows XP SP 2, though), but my Windows XP doesn't accept it for some reason - it continuously says it's not valid, so I can't use it. I tried that key with the Windows XP Professional non-VLK PIDGEN.DLL as well - the same.
Are Windows XP SP 2 CD keys different from the non-SP 2 ones? :?:

I remember installing XP Pro VLK a couple of years back when I got my current PC. I had 2 CD keys: 1 was FCKGW, and the other was one that SP2 would install with. It would only accept FCKGW when I installed XP, so I had to install with that and then change the key to the other one (using one of those programs that resets the key and opens the activation window for you to enter another one) so that I could install SP2. No idea why it would only accept the other one after it had installed, but it did (I had definitely typed it right during installation and tried it a few times, but it wouldn't work). So weird stuff does happen with the keys.

The VLK key I use now (that passes WGA) works both when installing XP (Gold, as that's the CD I have), and changing the key to it by using a keychanger.

Top  Profile