BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 22h, 26m | CPU: 28% | MEM: 4575MB of 10721MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: NT5 development video on YouTube        Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:12 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:05 pm

Posts
698

Location
Or-stray-liagh
I found this video on YouTube by accident, it shows what happens on a day of Windows NT5 development. By the look of it it was made between Beta 1 and Beta 2. Quality is low but you can get the idea.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0aEFgtUi6M

_________________
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:26 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
Makes me want to work as a beta tester, although I get that's a very busy job... :)


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:03 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:14 pm

Posts
112

Location
Westbalkanian Computing Industry Wastelands
An interesting shot: A DEC Alpha used for testing NT5
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:42 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
Yes, there were Alpha builds of NT5 up to 2128 (it was already called Windows 2000, then).


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:10 am 
Reply with quote
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am

Posts
12467

Location
Merseyside, United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Looks cool but very hard work! I think Id rather do the hardware bit. Sounds complicated on the testing and programming side.

_________________
Image

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:46 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Posts
2393
Andy wrote:
Looks cool but very hard work! I think Id rather do the hardware bit. Sounds complicated on the testing and programming side.


Definitely looks like an amazing thing to do – beats all the boring jobs out there that I’ll probably end up doing! :( Could get a bit repetitive after a while though I guess, depending on how similar the work they have to do each day is. When the version of Windows they're working on goes gold, what do they do then? Are they just general MS coders who are sent to work on another project, or they specifically Windows coders who don't have so much to do after the release (just a few updates etc)?

One thing I wondered when they said they have computers from all a lot of the major manufacturers for testing Windows on is whether they test it on Apple systems these days (or do they only test it on systems made by their OEM partners?)

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:52 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
Quote:
One thing I wondered when they said they have computers from all a lot of the major manufacturers for testing Windows on is whether they test it on Apple systems these days (or do they only test it on systems made by their OEM partners?)

You mean on Intel-based ones? Don't know for sure, but Vista builds before 5536 required you to do some dirty work on your HD (concerning partitioning) before they'd install on the shiny new Intel Mac. With the builds starting from 5536, this has been fixed, and Vista installs fine, without a hitch. Question: Is this a coincidence or have they done actual testing and fixing?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:21 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Posts
2393
empireum wrote:
You mean on Intel-based ones?


Yes - I just thought it would be interesting if they had a Mac somewhere in the Windows lab :D There are certainly Macs somewhere on the MS campus though - you've probably seen that tour of MacBU that is around somewhere (the one that shows they have a cluster of about 150 Mac Minis!)

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:24 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
I'm quite sure they have – look at what I wrote about the Vista betas on my Intel Mac.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:27 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Posts
2393
empireum wrote:
I'm quite sure they have – look at what I wrote about the Vista betas on my Intel Mac.


Unless it was just some sort of coincidence caused by Vista generally getting better? Like in the earlier builds you used to get those weird issues where you couldn't partition the disk using the options for doing so in the Vista installer - you had to boot with an XP CD to format first, and then restart with Vista.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:30 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Posts
3557
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
empireum wrote:
I'm quite sure they have – look at what I wrote about the Vista betas on my Intel Mac.


Unless it was just some sort of coincidence caused by Vista generally getting better? Like in the earlier builds you used to get those weird issues where you couldn't partition the disk using the options for doing so in the Vista installer - you had to boot with an XP CD to format first, and then restart with Vista.

That's still possible indeed.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT5 development video on YouTube        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:39 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:43 am

Posts
731

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
I found this video on YouTube by accident, it shows what happens on a day of Windows NT5 development. By the look of it it was made between Beta 1 and Beta 2. Quality is low but you can get the idea.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0aEFgtUi6M


One of the shots in the video (at 2:19) shows a build tag -- kor 1654L alpha fre.wk

This video is most likely closer to the late alpha stage of NT5.
However, the end of the video shows a Beta 1 Evaluation Copy graphic. There's a good chance that this video was produced at the early Beta 1 stage... plus, the date ©1997 Microsoft, is an additional point.


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:40 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:19 am

Posts
1915

Location
New Zealand
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
empireum wrote:
You mean on Intel-based ones?


Yes - I just thought it would be interesting if they had a Mac somewhere in the Windows lab :D There are certainly Macs somewhere on the MS campus though - you've probably seen that tour of MacBU that is around somewhere (the one that shows they have a cluster of about 150 Mac Minis!)

well they have to have macs for Office for Mac etc. Im pretty sure they will have some Intel Macs in the windows lab.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:51 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:04 pm

Posts
1022

Location
The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Did anybody hear the sneezing?

_________________
Image
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:17 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:30 pm

Posts
407

Location
Essex, UK

Favourite OS
Gentoo
I did, and i heard coughing towards the beginning

_________________
The better candies are in the cage


Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2018

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS