BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 20h, 2m | CPU: 29% | MEM: 1825MB of 4167MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows NT Workstation 5.0 Final ;)        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:44 am 
FTP Access

I have created a Windows NT Workstation 5.0 Final, because I like NT but not "2000". But it is an german OS, not in english, I made an english version 2 years ago, but all outdated tody. It doesn't exist any more on my Servers.

Screenshots:

http://www.windows-nation.de/bilder/ntboot3.jpg

http://www.windows-nation.de/bilder/startmenunt50.jpg

http://www.windows-nation.de/bilder/aboutnt5.jpg

http://www.windows-nation.de/bilder/ntexit50.jpg

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:48 am 
Donator

Hello Windows NT!

Welcome!

These screenshots are very impressive, I'm looking forward to trying your new releases (the all-new NT 5.1).. The screenshots of that are impressive, too. :)

BTW, you'll surely recognize me now: I'm the guy who has recently bought a used ThinkPad 600 on eBay with an apparently broken CD drive. We've been having some e-mail contact :) Another tip: I'm from Germany as well. Do you know who I am now? :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:55 am 
FTP Access

Windows NT Workstation 5.1 will be released on Decembre 16. ;)
Windows NT 5.0 Retro Edition (Icons from NT 5.0 Beta 2/1 for My Computer etc. and old colors)

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:56 am 
Staff

This looks good, will it be in English?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:00 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
I'm the guy who has recently bought a used ThinkPad 600 on eBay with an apparently broken CD drive.

Cool, the ThinkPad's arrived for you - shame about the CD though. What happens when you try to use a CD in it? I presume you weren't made aware of this when you bought it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:20 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
empireum wrote:
I'm the guy who has recently bought a used ThinkPad 600 on eBay with an apparently broken CD drive.

Cool, the ThinkPad's arrived for you - shame about the CD though. What happens when you try to use a CD in it? I presume you weren't made aware of this when you bought it?

It won't even recognize it. It won't spin up, nor boot from it, nor recognize it in DOS or Windows. No, I wasn't made aware of that but the seller promised to send a new drive for free (which he unfortunately hasn't done yet).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:30 am 
FTP Access

I had an TP 600, it worked fine for over 3 years, with NT 5.0 Build 1906, one of my favorites, but Server and not Workstation.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:38 am 
Donator

I only have the Workstation build of 1906, not the Server build... But it's a very cool OS anyway. :) As for the TP, I agree it's a great machine and the keyboard's just the best I've ever used on a laptop, but the CD drive thing annoys me a bit (that's not the TP's fault though, of course). If the seller doesn't send the new drive, I'll have to get a replacement... The floppy drive I ordered for it has arrived by now and it's working fine. The TP does access it on boot and I suppose it would boot from it if there were a bootable floppy in it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:44 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
As for the TP, I agree it's a great machine and the keyboard's just the best I've ever used on a laptop, but the CD drive thing annoys me a bit (that's not the TP's fault though, of course). If the seller doesn't send the new drive, I'll have to get a replacement...

Yes, the keyboard on the 570 feels very good too. What are the specs of your 600? Does it perform reasonably well, or did it not come with an OS installed so you can't test it out yet? It's always so annoying when there's something like that which doesn't work...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:49 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Yes, the keyboard on the 570 feels very good too. What are the specs of your 600? Does it perform reasonably well, or did it not come with an OS installed so you can't test it out yet? It's always so annoying when there's something like that which doesn't work...

The specs are: Pentium II 266, 128MB of RAM, 1GB HD (with Windows 95 pre-installed) that's soon to be replaced with a nice new 40GB 5400rpm HD, CD-ROM drive, external floppy drive, internal modem. 13.3" XGA screen. It performs very good in Windows 95, but without a CD drive, I can't swap the HD and install my preferred OSes on it (I've bought it primarily to run Windows 3.1x and various NT releases). So, this will be a very nice and fast machine for NT 3.5x and 4.0/5.0, I guess. I think I'll also set up some versions of OS/2 on it as I've got some lying around here... And Windows FLP will get its own partition on the HD too because I suppose this TP belongs to the type of machines FLP was designed for. What do you think? To make it all perfect, err, crowded, Linux or some flavour of Unix (preferably FreeBSD) mustn't be missing either. :)

Last edited by empireum on Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:49 am 
FTP Access

TP 600: PII 266 max. 288 MB RAM, 13'' TFT. 2 MB PCI Graphics, ISA Sound.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:58 am 
Donator

Hi Windows NT. I love your Pack :D Could you make an installer with works like XPize? In my opinion it is better to patch the files instead of downloading so many files.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:59 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
The specs are: Pentium II 266, 128MB of RAM, 1GB HD (with Windows 95 pre-installed) that's soon to be replaced with a nice new 40GB 5400rpm HD, CD-ROM drive, external floppy drive, internal modem. 13.3" XGA screen. It performs very good in Windows 95, but without a CD drive, I can't swap the HD and install my preferred OSes on it (I've bought it primarily to run Windows 3.1x and various NT releases). So, this will be a very nice and fast machine for NT 3.5x and 4.0/5.0, I guess. I think I'll also set up some versions of OS/2 on it as I've got some lying around here... And Windows FLP will get its own partition on the HD too because I suppose this TP belongs to the type of machines FLP was designed for. What do you think? To make it all perfect, err, crowded, Linux or some flavour of Unix (preferably FreeBSD) mustn't be missing either. :)

128 MB is a nice amount of Ram for an old laptop :) If you're putting something as big as 40 GB in there, couldn't you have every version of Windows ever made on there, with plenty of disk space to spare?! (well probably everything since 3.x, as I'm not sure 1.x/2.x would work on a Pentium II) Call me weird if you like, but I think a laptop containing 3.1 to XP/2003 and everything in between would be really cool! :D

One thought though - how will older versions like 3.1 and 95 respond to there being 128 MB of Ram? I thought some of the older versions run into problems if there's too much - not sure which version of 95 you've got, but I thought at least the earlier versions of 95 couldn't really deal with more than 64 MB? Unless they can run with more, but just can't use it, although I'm sure I remember seeing that you keep getting errors if you try to run 98 on 1 GB+ of Ram.

And what about trying something really wacky, like Apple Rhapsody DR1/2 x86? Probably best to try that before you install any of your Windows versions and then get rid of it though, as it’ll probably muck up your Windows partitions and bootloader.

If you want to get started before your CD drive arrives, 3.1, 95, 98, and (I think) NT 3 all have floppy versions that you could install on the new hard disk.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:00 am 
Donator

That would be my question too, but one of NT 5.0 EUR's highlights is that the complete install process is patched, too. And this is only possible if you integrate the files into the install CD directly...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:08 am 
FTP Access

An Installer version is very difficult! Because Windows NT 5.x EUR Edition modifies MANY system settings. Documents and Settings don't exist any more, now it is winnt\Profiles. And other things like ntldr and so on are modified, also Sound scheme is another, so i cannot make an installer like XPize. sry for that.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:41 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
128 MB is a nice amount of Ram for an old laptop :) If you're putting something as big as 40 GB in there, couldn't you have every version of Windows ever made on there, with plenty of disk space to spare?! (well probably everything since 3.x, as I'm not sure 1.x/2.x would work on a Pentium II) Call me weird if you like, but I think a laptop containing 3.1 to XP/2003 and everything in between would be really cool! :D

Windows 1.x/2.x are going to work just fine on a P-II IIRC, as long as the DOS version is old enough or you fool it using setver.exe. As for the "all Windows" laptop, I think Windows NT has done it on his TP 600. Ask him if that's really true, but IIRC it is. :) Have a look (the partition names are not readable completely, but I think you get what's showing up there). (@Windows NT: I hope you don't mind I am posting the link. If that's a problem, just tell me and I'll immediately remove the link. )

http://windows-nation.de/nt5b2diskmgt.jpg

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
One thought though - how will older versions like 3.1 and 95 respond to there being 128 MB of Ram? I thought some of the older versions run into problems if there's too much - not sure which version of 95 you've got, but I thought at least the earlier versions of 95 couldn't really deal with more than 64 MB? Unless they can run with more, but just can't use it, although I'm sure I remember seeing that you keep getting errors if you try to run 98 on 1 GB+ of Ram.

128MB will be no problem with Win 3.1x and 95. I've run 3.1 with up to 256 MB (the only thhing you'll have to do then is to replace himem.sys from the underlying DOS with the one from Win9x to get DOS to recognize more than 64MB of RAM). And I've run Win 95 with up to 512MB and 98/ME with up to 832 MB I think (the machine 98/ME was running on actually had 1024MB, but when I gave it access to more than about 830MB, it crashed when booting up. Everything up to that limit was perfectly fine, though.)

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
And what about trying something really wacky, like Apple Rhapsody DR1/2 x86? Probably best to try that before you install any of your Windows versions and then get rid of it though, as it’ll probably muck up your Windows partitions and bootloader.

I'll maybe try that as well, the TP sounds to be about the right machine for Rhapsody, because I can tell you... running Rhapsody (DR2 x86) in an emulator (I was running it in Bochs and a really old version of Connectix Virtual PC, 4.1 IIRC) isn't going to cut it.

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
If you want to get started before your CD drive arrives, 3.1, 95, 98, and (I think) NT 3 all have floppy versions that you could install on the new hard disk.

Yes, that's true, but... I don't have enough floppies! And I'd rather wait till the drive arrives so that I can do everything at once. And installing all the necessary drivers from floppies... no thanks. I'd probably be able to get the LAN working on it, I have a PCMCIA NE2000 card, but as I have my OSes and the drivers I'm going to need all on CDs, it'd be much, much easier to do that using a CD-ROM drive. I can wait, I have time and there will be other stuff to do and play around with. :)

I agree it's annoying when you have that toy sitting around doing nothing because there's something missing you need for it to work the way you need it to work...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:17 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:

I'll maybe try that as well, the TP sounds to be about the right machine for Rhapsody, because I can tell you... running Rhapsody (DR2 x86) in an emulator (I was running it in Bochs and a really old version of Connectix Virtual PC, 4.1 IIRC) isn't going to cut it.

I tried DR2 x86 in VMware once, but I couldn't really get it to work at all - it only got to the desktop once, and none of the drivers seemed to work - the graphics were terrible (smallest resolution and no colour) and it just kept crashing (usually in the bit where you first boot up and select your drivers, or even before it had booted). Not sure if I was doing something wrong, just didn't persevere for long enough, or if it just doesn't work very well with VMware. I'd try the PPC version, except my Mac is probably too old

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:29 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
I tried DR2 x86 in VMware once, but I couldn't really get it to work at all - it only got to the desktop once, and none of the drivers seemed to work - the graphics were terrible (smallest resolution and no colour) and it just kept crashing (usually in the bit where you first boot up and select your drivers, or even before it had booted). Not sure if I was doing something wrong, just didn't persevere for long enough, or if it just doesn't work very well with VMware. I'd try the PPC version, except my Mac is probably too old

I don't think you did something wrong. Rhapsody seems to be very picky about the hardware it runs on and drivers are rare. I've never gotten it to work in VMware, neither in several versions of VirtualPC (on Windows or MacOS). The only emulator I was able to get Rhapsody DR2 x86 boot up in was Bochs, which was awfully slow and the very old VirtualPC 4.1 from Connectix which is from 2002 or something like that. I guess Rhapsody isn't meant to be run in an emulator and we should try it on real hardware. Maybe I'l do that to my TP, using multiple hard disks so I can swap between Rhapsody and other OSes without risking to destroy my existing installations. I once succeeded in doing that but that was when I had a really weird multiboot going on, using three primary and several logical partitions on one HD, holding MS-DOS/Win3.x, several versions of Win95 and 98 and NT, OS/2 and Linux. I once did something wrong and terribly screwed something up. In the end, I decided to zero out the drive and start over... I'd like to avoid things like that in the future :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:39 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
I guess Rhapsody isn't meant to be run in an emulator and we should try it on real hardware.

Have you tried the PPC version at all? Would a 6100/60 be too old, as Rhapsody was much later than that, wasn't it? I think I might try Copland on it at some stage though, as that should work and it would be interesting to see - I have a spare 500 MB Mac hard drive that I could use for testing it (to avoid affecting the 1 GB/OS 9.1 disk that's normally in there).

empireum wrote:
Maybe I'l do that to my TP, using multiple hard disks so I can swap between Rhapsody and other OSes without risking to destroy my existing installations.

Sounds like a good idea :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:42 am 
Donator

Windows NT wrote:
An Installer version is very difficult! Because Windows NT 5.x EUR Edition modifies MANY system settings. Documents and Settings don't exist any more, now it is winnt\Profiles. And other things like ntldr and so on are modified, also Sound scheme is another, so i cannot make an installer like XPize. sry for that.

schade :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:02 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Have you tried the PPC version at all? Would a 6100/60 be too old, as Rhapsody was much later than that, wasn't it? I think I might try Copland on it at some stage though, as that should work and it would be interesting to see - I have a spare 500 MB Mac hard drive that I could use for testing it (to avoid affecting the 1 GB/OS 9.1 disk that's normally in there).

No, I can't, as I do not have any PPC hardware that Rhapsody would run on. Heck, I can't even run the most modern Rhapsody, called Mac OS X Server 1.x, on any of my Macs. My copy of it is laying around in my cupboard doing nothing... And forget about running it (Rhapsody PPC/OS X Server 1.x) in an emulator... And I'd probably have to forget Copland as well because AFAIK, it requires an external machine being always connected to the target system Copland is running on. And this second system needs to run soome fancy debugger. And even if you get all that to work, I think there's not much to see either.

@Luckie
Mach dir nichts draus, es geht auch so...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:13 am 
FTP Access

My personal maximum of installed windows versions on a 40gb hdd were 26 ;)

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:30 am 
FTP Access

Windows NT wrote:
My personal maximum of installed windows versions on a 40gb hdd were 26 ;)

:shock: That is so cool!! There aren't even that many major versions of Windows though - were a lot of them variations on the same one eg Server, Workstation, Advanced Server etc? It must be very easy to mess up your bootloader with that many installations though - if you install one version out of sequence then don't all the versions newer than that version stop working?

What sort of system was that on - was it something newish (so you could have Vista builds on it) or older (so you could run the really old versions with no difficulties)?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:53 pm 
FTP Access

5 NT 5.0 Version (Betas to) Whistler, Daytona, NT4 Betas, Windows 2.03, 2.11, 3.0, 3.0 mme, 3.1, WFW 3.1, wfw3.11, win95 and so on.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:55 pm 
Donator

Quote:
That is so cool!! There aren't even that many major versions of Windows though - were a lot of them variations on the same one eg Server, Workstation, Advanced Server etc? It must be very easy to mess up your bootloader with that many installations though - if you install one version out of sequence then don't all the versions newer than that version stop working?

What sort of system was that on - was it something newish (so you could have Vista builds on it) or older (so you could run the really old versions with no difficulties)?

If you mess up your bootloader, just rewrite the MBR/boot sector or, if you manage to mess up the NT loader by overwriting it with an older version (by installing NT4 after "5.0" or "5.0" after XP/2003) just replace the files with the correct ones. You see, that bit of dual-/multi-booting setups is way too easy :D

The machine that was on – I bet it was an IBM TP 600, so no way to run Vista on it.

edit: The replacement CD drive for my TP 600 arrived – and it works, it can read CDs and boot from them. Time to get the new HD installed. :D :D :D

edit 2: New 40GB HD installed, but installing NT repeatedly fails, the machine locks up copying files. Turned out one of the RAM sticks is broken. So I only have 64MB of RAM instead of the promised 128MB. :( Still enough for 3.x/NT3.5x, 4.0 and even 5.0 though, I think, but I'll have a serious word spoken with the seller. This is really getting annoying.

Top  Profile