Windows 2000 lite

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
PhantomX
FTP Access

Windows 2000 lite

Post by PhantomX »

Is there a Lite version Of windows 2000 ? One that is faster on startups and better performance..?

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

A number I believe.

You can also use nLite (to a certain extent) on Windows 2000 if I remember correctly

PhantomX
FTP Access

Post by PhantomX »

You can also use nLite (to a certain extent) on Windows 2000 if I remember correctly

If I use nlite to remove most of the garbage, Is there any tweaks to make it faster ? Especially at startup..

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

I'm assuming there was supposed to be a post there?

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

PhantomX wrote:

If I use nlite to remove most of the garbage, Is there any tweaks to make it faster ? Especially at startup..
He has even quoted his own replay:

This had to be the post:
PhantomX wrote:You can also use nLite (to a certain extent) on Windows 2000 if I remember correctly

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Ah yeh
Should have paid attention more =\

I believe that it might make it slightly quicker, but you can add your own tweaks using nLite I believe...

PhantomX
FTP Access

Post by PhantomX »

Sorry about that, I was in a hurry... I will have too try this nlite to see if it will make a difference.. Does anyone know of a tweak guide or website for W2k ?

Krigo

Post by Krigo »

There is a lite version of Windows 98, however it is an unofficial stripped version, you will run into certain problems like on most lite versions of windows, I'd recommend just using the normal version, lite versions normally cause a lot of headaches and problems, some of them even have problems installing drivers just to make it slightly smaller, don't get me started on lite vista ultimate either. It'd also be considered as warez.

EDIT: Removed information about nLite, people already posted it.

3-R4Z0R

Post by 3-R4Z0R »

As always: Yes, there are problems regarding lite versions of Windows. But: If you don't remove that much you can still get an extremely fast version of Windows without loosing any or only small amounts of compatibility.

I, as an example, have used the exact same version of my nLite'd Windows XP version for nearly two years now. The only application that did not work was ActiveSync, everything else did work flawlessly. Now that I know what caused ActiveSync to stop working I've fixed it (it desperately wanted either Outlook Express or Outlook which I have never used nor ever will use).
But: be careful what you remove and do not remove anything you're not 100% sure you don't need. Usually those things don't have any impact on speed either, so it doesn't matter.

Greetings 3-R4Z0R