BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 13h, 18m | CPU: 46% | MEM: 5565MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: How would you like to see the Windows UI evolve?        Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:24 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
This has been the topic of a few conversations I have had recently. Everyone has a different idea of how they want the Windows Interface to go.

I'm really interested to see how people on here would like Aero to develop.

I personally love Aero and would like to see it freshened up a bit maybe with Vista SP2 (or similar) - more polished. I have prepared some screenshots of how I would like to see AERO ending up.

Although this picture has a Longhorn style Start button, I don't mind the orb. This picture mainly reffers to the transparency on the taskbar.

Again, I would love to see the glass toasts return. Sure they can be replicated at the moment, but it would be great to have them "built in"

Bigger thumbnails from the taskbar. I find the standard size too small to properly see whats running!

This sort of thing was Demo'd while Longhorn was in development. Again, I would like to see this in Vista.

I prefer these window borders. They look classier & more polised than Vista's standard

The shots below are mockups that I did over a year ago now, showing the sort of thing I'd like to see in Windows 7+

~HougTimo

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
That looks really nice :P.
The glass toast should be full glass and a bit smaller, I think. You're completely right on the thumbnails. Sometimes they even just show the icon of the program xD.
The explorer should also be more Aero'ed.

Those last 3 screen shots remind me of an idea I had a couple weeks ago: The ability to put some shortcuts and information into the Flip 3D :).
Is there actually a place from Microsoft where you can post/mail suggestions like this for the next Windows (7)?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:56 pm 
What I'd really like to see is something like the Longhorn Sidebar, back in Vista or 7. I'm using this sidebar: http://www.aeroxp.org/board/index.php?showtopic=10441 full time now, and I couldn't live without it.
It's really an extension to the system tray. Information that matters to you, always there when you need it.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Yeh, I've used that from time to time. It's definitely useful, and I prefer it to the standard sidebar.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:25 pm 
@ pic2: I think the border is a bit too thick, would look better if it only had a small one. :)