BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 78d, 5h, 43m | CPU: 66% | MEM: 6475MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:28 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS Classic
i never liked the fisher price interface.

i have heard of tiny xp, ill look for the download in the usual places.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:49 pm 
Donator

defect17 wrote:
For performance, use nLite to make a modified build of XP. It strips away any parts of the system not needed, by not installing a lot of the cruft, and disabling services en masse. What I've left is pretty much DirectX and the networking stacks. All one needs for gaming with 390MB HD and 40MB of RAM used :) You could do it yourself using nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/), but it just so happens that someone already did the work and published it under the name TinyXP.

I've always 'felt' that Windows 2000 was faster than a base XP on my system. I have absolutely no benchmarks or quantitative data to back that up, mind. Maybe it's the relative lack of RAM on my PC. Maybe it's the psychological effect of that fisher-price interface.

And your schools are all relative rich-kids :P We're on 'Vista capable' Celerons running Windows 2000 at college

Its actually a waste of tax player's money. They say they don't have money, then they buy these refurbished computers with 5 year in school service plan. Each computer comes up to be more than a thousand dollars.
I'm pissed that they buy them with a service plan, school boards aren't that smart.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: i am sure it work        Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:00 am 
windows 2000 is reliable & i think it work with 300 g.b hard drive

PostPost subject: Re: Windows 2000 Questions        Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:01 pm 
FTP Access

Quote:
1.is it more secure than XP?
2. is there a way i can install it on a 300GB hard disk?

(1)
For the functionalities shared between XP and 2000 i don't see any difference about security. And win 2k is yet under the extended support phase, then Microsoft continues to provide critical security updates for all its components until 13 July, 2010 ( see http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3071 ).

Windows XP supports and provides additional security features (when enabled, of course! :) ) like Windows Firewall, Data Execution Prevention, IE7 phishing-control, that you can't find on win 2K.

At work, I have many win 2k workstation, i give them additional security by using F-Secure Internet Security 2006 (IMHO, good product).

(2)
According to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098
win 2k SP3 and SP4 support LBA, if the controller also supports it!

- For controller embedded on motherboard, you have to check if there is a LBA48-aware BIOS.
- For PCI controllers, check if it supports LBA or buy a newer one :)

The procedure is also here http://www.48bitlba.com/enablebiglba.htm, but it's better if you apply the 48lbafix directly on installation CD, like os2fan2 said in another post.

_______
Matte

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
If your motherboard can't break the 137GB barrier, you could always try looking for a dynamic drive overlay (ddo). I know that Western Digital ships one with their Data Lifeguard Tools, (which is provided by Ontrack). I can give you a link to a dos version (which needs a boot disk), but I don't know if that would be considered warez or not.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:42 am 
Donator

If it's free and licenced for anyone to use, then it's not warz.
If it a licence is required to be bought, then yes.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
then that probably wouldn't work, as I don't even remember where I found it, and I'm pretty sure it's proprietary software. Your best bet would probably to google for one.

Top  Profile