BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 14d, 17h, 33m | CPU: 2% | MEM: 5374MB of 11782MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: How is Windows 95/98 support on XP?        Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:01 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7?
I was recently tasked with reverse engineering a old Japanese PS1 RPG. I was able to decompile and rip what I need. However, I forgot I do not have a Japanese OS on hand and the only one I could easily find is XP without importing hardware. Yes, I have tried using app locale emulation and other tricks I used to playing semi-modern to modern Japanese games (2000s+) on my computer regularly to access the files. However, none seem to be working. My JP text just isn't loading for these old files.

Since the PS1 came out in 94 in Japan that would mean I need good 95 support. However, I haven't used XP in forever and forgot how its 9X support is.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How is Windows 95/98 support on XP?        Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:36 pm 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
Post removed by author.

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.
[/color]

Last edited by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN on Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How is Windows 95/98 support on XP?        Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:42 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7?
Oh, that's cool about 3.1 applications.

Alright, I believe the Japanese ISO I've found is a 32 bit. I'll keep that in mind for my searches to double check.

I forgot to ask. Are there any odd hardware issues with modern systems? Like, I know 95/98 has issues with too advanced of tech. I can't recall if this is an issue with XP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How is Windows 95/98 support on XP?        Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
What is "95 support" and why exactly it's necessary for reverse-engineering PS1?

Windows XP (32-bit) will run most (but not all) Win9x applications, but not Win9x drivers, except maybe some printer ones.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How is Windows 95/98 support on XP?        Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:09 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7?
vbdasc wrote:
What is "95 support" and why exactly it's necessary for reverse-engineering PS1?

Windows XP (32-bit) will run most (but not all) Win9x applications, but not Win9x drivers, except maybe some printer ones.

By 95 support I mean support for applications made for windows 95.

It is needed because the toolsets were all made for Windows 95. There are some upgraded SDKs out there for XP; however those are rarely the Japanese SDKs (which is what I need for mine). I also can't use Windows Vista+ because JP versions changed drastically, from my understanding. Many older JP games from the 95-ME era don't run properly on Vista forward. In fact, this is such an issue many visual novel companies had to spend time upgrading their engine for Vista/7 because the games they were releasing couldn't be played on a newer OS.

Even trying to get a game like Saya no Uta to run can cause some weird issues with the English release on Windows 7+, which is why it just got a new rerelease, but I can't get the JP release to run at all. I don't know why but some JP games from 2000 can run with applocale emulation and a few tricks. However, some just won't work.

I don't quite get what differences were made for the Japanese Windows versions, or if it was just their odd coding styles, but a lot of older Japanese software is a headache to get to work properly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How is Windows 95/98 support on XP?        Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:31 am 

Compatibility with Win95/98 is good, but it really depends on what you're doing and how you're doing it.
I'm not that familiar with how the PS1 is structured, or what the process of reverse-engineering is like so I can't say.
It sounds like you solved your issue and get JPSx running. to answer your second question about where to get started, it depends on the game since there's such a big variety of layouts and formats. Unfortuantely a lot of the info about them has been lost to time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How is Windows 95/98 support on XP?        Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:37 pm 
Donator

I don't really know what exactly you are trying to do ("reverse engineering" and "accessing the files" are two pretty vague terms, I hope you understand), however, I am pretty sure you simply can't just natively run PlayStation games on Windows, no matter whether it's Windows 95 or Windows XP. Also, you can play PS1 games on modern systems just fine by using one of the numerous emulators, so I am not sure why would you even need a Windows 95 system in the first place. EDIT: OP's follow-up posts weren't approved at the time of my reply.

Regarding 9x compatibility in Windows XP - Win32 applications generally should work, unless they exploit some 9x implementation details. Win16 and DOS stuff might or might not work, since NTVDM of course simply is not as good as actual DOS. Drivers obviously won't work due to the different architectures of 9x and NT/XP. Also, depending on the manufacturing date of the XP system, it's quite possible that it will also have 9x drivers available, so it could be possible to just load Windows 95 or Windows 98 on it.

Last edited by AlphaBeta on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How is Windows 95/98 support on XP?        Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:17 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Elvenmonk wrote:
I forgot to ask. Are there any odd hardware issues with modern systems? Like, I know 95/98 has issues with too advanced of tech. I can't recall if this is an issue with XP.

There are multiple issues. UEFI, AHCI, USB3, lack of drivers, and others.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How is Windows 95/98 support on XP?        Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:32 pm 
Donator

Elvenmonk wrote:
By 95 support I mean support for applications made for windows 95.

It is needed because the toolsets were all made for Windows 95. There are some upgraded SDKs out there for XP; however those are rarely the Japanese SDKs (which is what I need for mine). I also can't use Windows Vista+ because JP versions changed drastically, from my understanding. Many older JP games from the 95-ME era don't run properly on Vista forward. In fact, this is such an issue many visual novel companies had to spend time upgrading their engine for Vista/7 because the games they were releasing couldn't be played on a newer OS.

Your best bet might be just getting a VirtualBox or VMware setup with Windows 98.

Top  Profile