BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 19d, 23h, 35m | CPU: 61% | MEM: 5817MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: How to run Windows XP from USB?        Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:58 pm 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Posts
46

Location
Canada

Favourite OS
Any KDE distro from the 2000's
I can't find a tutorial that works. If you can help me thanks :)

_________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T520
8GB RAM
Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
500GB HDD


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How to run Windows XP from USB?        Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:31 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Posts
165
What have you already tried?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to run Windows XP from USB?        Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:01 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:26 am

Posts
356

Location
Tlajomulco de Zuñiga, Jalisco, Mexico.

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
WinSetupFromUSB offers a great tutorial about how to run XP from USB [You have to install from an USB to another USB]

_________________
Image
Registrations are now open. Join us today!


Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: How to run Windows XP from USB?        Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:18 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:19 am

Posts
166

Favourite OS
WinXP SP2 x64 5.2.3790
If you need a diagnostic or utility system, I recommend LiveXP. If you add a driver for your network card, you will get access to the network and even the Internet.

After building the .ISO image, you can run it from USB to RAM using GRUB4DOS:
LiveXP

You can also try the old version of HBCD 14 booted from USB:
Launching Hiren’s BootCD from USB Flash Drive


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to run Windows XP from USB?        Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:23 pm 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Posts
46

Location
Canada

Favourite OS
Any KDE distro from the 2000's
SistemaRayoXP wrote:
WinSetupFromUSB offers a great tutorial about how to run XP from USB [You have to install from an USB to another USB]

I only have 1 usb, and a windows xp cd, is it possible to install from cd to the usb?

_________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T520
8GB RAM
Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
500GB HDD


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How to run Windows XP from USB?        Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:25 pm 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Posts
46

Location
Canada

Favourite OS
Any KDE distro from the 2000's
Beta12 wrote:
If you need a diagnostic or utility system, I recommend LiveXP. If you add a driver for your network card, you will get access to the network and even the Internet.

After building the .ISO image, you can run it from USB to RAM using GRUB4DOS:
LiveXP

You can also try the old version of HBCD 14 booted from USB:
Launching Hiren’s BootCD from USB Flash Drive

I used a different tutorial and Grub4dos gives me "Error 17: cannot mount selected partition", ill try this one though, and when i'm done i'll get drivers since my network, sound, and video have drivers for xp, and maybe install an antivirus since windows xp ended support half a decade ago

EDIT: At startup it gives me an error about lsass.exe and restarts

_________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T520
8GB RAM
Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
500GB HDD


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How to run Windows XP from USB?        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:23 am 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Posts
165
EvanKTC wrote:
xp, and maybe install an antivirus since windows xp ended support half a decade ago

I wouldn’t. The security flaws in XP are in the OS, so antivirus is unlikely to help. Constant reading and writing to the storage device will cause it to fail quickly. The likelyhood of a malicious program trying to exploit those flaws is close to zero anyway.
May I ask what the idea behind this is? If you just want to run modern applications securely on modern hardware, your best bet is Linux. There are lots of Live CD options out there, and pretty much all of them will be more stable, compatible, and easier to install then a jerry-rigged legacy os.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to run Windows XP from USB?        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:15 am 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Posts
46

Location
Canada

Favourite OS
Any KDE distro from the 2000's
MrBurgerKing wrote:
May I ask what the idea behind this is?


I've tried windows 98 on usb (i had too much ram so i fixed a setting in config.ini) but there are no network/audio/video drivers for my laptop on win98, and also using xp for nostalgia purposes and playing old games/software, and also for old xp apps that don't work on my windows 8.1 (even when i set compatibility mode).

_________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T520
8GB RAM
Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
500GB HDD


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How to run Windows XP from USB?        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:42 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:26 am

Posts
356

Location
Tlajomulco de Zuñiga, Jalisco, Mexico.

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
EvanKTC wrote:
SistemaRayoXP wrote:
WinSetupFromUSB offers a great tutorial about how to run XP from USB [You have to install from an USB to another USB]

I only have 1 usb, and a windows xp cd, is it possible to install from cd to the usb?

I can't answer you this, because AFAIK, WinSetupFromUSB adds some stuff (drivers & such) to prepare installation to USB.

But still, you can give it a try.

Yet another method would be to install from a virtual machine in QEMU.
You might wonder, why QEMU and not [any popular hypervisor]? Because QEMU lets you set an USB disk as a hard disk, compared to VBox where it adds the USB as an USB through a USB controller, which the BIOS can't boot from; the same happens with VMware.

I'm going to resume this right now while I test it:

    You have to do this from Windows 7
  • Create a new virtual hard disk with fixed size from disk management and partition & format it. It should be around 800 MB just to fit the XP installation files.
  • Run WinSetupFromUSB
    • Check Advanced options
    • In general tab, check Display drives on all interfaces, not only USB
      Be careful to select the virtual disk you have just created (Usually it's MSFT VHD or so)
    • In Add to USB disk tab, check Windows 2000/XP/2003 Setup and select the location of some Windows XP setup files (Or a Windows XP CD). Note that the program will copy these files, so it will be faster if the files are on the hard disk.
    • Click GO and wait for the process to finish.
  • Now "hide" the VHD you just created in disk management (But DON'T DELETE it)
  • Create a new machine in QEMU manager (without a hard disk)
  • Add the VHD you created in disk management to QEMU as a hard disk
  • Add the USB drive as a hard disk
  • Start the machine. Let the automated menu to run.
  • Run the XP setup as normal, and when prompted for the disk to install onto select THE USB STICK you are going to install to.
  • When the text-mode setup finishes and setup reboots, quickly kill the machine.
  • Boot the USB from the computer you want to run this XP installation.
  • Proceed setup as normal.

That's pretty much it in theory, yet it might fail at some point, so I'm going to test this by myself.

_________________
Image
Registrations are now open. Join us today!


Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: How to run Windows XP from USB?        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:17 pm 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Posts
46

Location
Canada

Favourite OS
Any KDE distro from the 2000's
SistemaRayoXP wrote:
You have to do this from Windows 7.


I have windows 8.1, does it work on 8.1?

_________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T520
8GB RAM
Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
500GB HDD


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How to run Windows XP from USB?        Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:31 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:26 am

Posts
356

Location
Tlajomulco de Zuñiga, Jalisco, Mexico.

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
EvanKTC wrote:
I have windows 8.1, does it work on 8.1?

Oh, for sure it works (I forgot to type 7+)

You only need VHD support, which was introduced in Windows 7 and is present in all versions of Windows since 7

_________________
Image
Registrations are now open. Join us today!


Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: How to run Windows XP from USB?        Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:25 pm 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Posts
46

Location
Canada

Favourite OS
Any KDE distro from the 2000's
SistemaRayoXP wrote:
EvanKTC wrote:
SistemaRayoXP wrote:
WinSetupFromUSB offers a great tutorial about how to run XP from USB [You have to install from an USB to another USB]

I only have 1 usb, and a windows xp cd, is it possible to install from cd to the usb?

I can't answer you this, because AFAIK, WinSetupFromUSB adds some stuff (drivers & such) to prepare installation to USB.

But still, you can give it a try.

Yet another method would be to install from a virtual machine in QEMU.
You might wonder, why QEMU and not [any popular hypervisor]? Because QEMU lets you set an USB disk as a hard disk, compared to VBox where it adds the USB as an USB through a USB controller, which the BIOS can't boot from; the same happens with VMware.

I'm going to resume this right now while I test it:

    You have to do this from Windows 7
  • Create a new virtual hard disk with fixed size from disk management and partition & format it. It should be around 800 MB just to fit the XP installation files.
  • Run WinSetupFromUSB
    • Check Advanced options
    • In general tab, check Display drives on all interfaces, not only USB
      Be careful to select the virtual disk you have just created (Usually it's MSFT VHD or so)
    • In Add to USB disk tab, check Windows 2000/XP/2003 Setup and select the location of some Windows XP setup files (Or a Windows XP CD). Note that the program will copy these files, so it will be faster if the files are on the hard disk.
    • Click GO and wait for the process to finish.
  • Now "hide" the VHD you just created in disk management (But DON'T DELETE it)
  • Create a new machine in QEMU manager (without a hard disk)
  • Add the VHD you created in disk management to QEMU as a hard disk
  • Add the USB drive as a hard disk
  • Start the machine. Let the automated menu to run.
  • Run the XP setup as normal, and when prompted for the disk to install onto select THE USB STICK you are going to install to.
  • When the text-mode setup finishes and setup reboots, quickly kill the machine.
  • Boot the USB from the computer you want to run this XP installation.
  • Proceed setup as normal.

That's pretty much it in theory, yet it might fail at some point, so I'm going to test this by myself.


Doesn't work for me, the furthest i managed to get was the setup part

_________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T520
8GB RAM
Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
500GB HDD


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How to run Windows XP from USB?        Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:42 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:26 am

Posts
356

Location
Tlajomulco de Zuñiga, Jalisco, Mexico.

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
Into QEMU, right? And it blue screens with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA, ain't it?

I remember that you could add a physical disk to VirtualBox by creating a VMDK and attaching the physical disk to this file, then using it in the virtual machine. Just search "attach physical disk virtual box" and you'll get some tutorials about how to do this. Attach your USB to VBox and do the same as above.

_________________
Image
Registrations are now open. Join us today!


Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: How to run Windows XP from USB?        Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:02 pm 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Posts
46

Location
Canada

Favourite OS
Any KDE distro from the 2000's
SistemaRayoXP wrote:
Into QEMU, right? And it blue screens with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA, ain't it?

I remember that you could add a physical disk to VirtualBox by creating a VMDK and attaching the physical disk to this file, then using it in the virtual machine. Just search "attach physical disk virtual box" and you'll get some tutorials about how to do this. Attach your USB to VBox and do the same as above.

It doesnt copy files to the usb (the text based part), and it sometimes gives me a no operating system found error, other times it gives me a bsod which says IO1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

_________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T520
8GB RAM
Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
500GB HDD


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How to run Windows XP from USB?        Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:30 am 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Posts
165
There are a few ways to accomplish this:

One is to make a "PE Build" of Windows. You can move it between multiple computers, it's small and lightweight, and it won't wear out your flash device by constantly reading and writing, but it can't make any system changes persistent, and applications need to be specially packaged as 'plugins'. Tools include WinBuilder (LiveXP) and BartPE, builds include Hiren's bootcd.

The second is to install full Windows. This will be fully capable, but may wear out the flash drive with constant reads and writes, and will only work with the machine you install it on. Disabling paging and enabling enhanced write filter is recommended.
Tools include WinToFlash and Winsetupfromusb.
You can also modify your install media. See
https://web.archive.org/web/20100926010 ... ageid=4176,
https://www.techspot.com/community/topi ... ve.116114/
Another way is to modify the flash device so it appears as a fixed hard drive. See https://www.overclockers.com/cloning-wi ... ash-drive/ .


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to run Windows XP from USB?        Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:58 pm 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Posts
46

Location
Canada

Favourite OS
Any KDE distro from the 2000's
Hirens bootcd 15.2 worked for me, so now i will install the drivers
EDIT: I was able to connect to the internet with the wifi setup

_________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T520
8GB RAM
Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
500GB HDD


Top  Profile  WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2019

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS