BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 77d, 15h, 20m | CPU: 56% | MEM: 6386MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:43 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 4051
Now, WinXP won't be getting updates anymore.
Today, on April 9th 2019, Windows POSReady 2009 ended support.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:49 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
they're all beautiful
nt5.1 is best girl, forever and always. F

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:16 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Now all editions of Windows XP are unsupported. Farewell Windows XP and Embedded versions 2001-2019

Selected quote:
Caveria wrote:
I found BetaArchive, because I tried to get beta versions of Windows.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:41 am 
FTP Access

R.I.P

Windows XP based OSes are the best.

BTW, NT 5.x's support period was longer than Windows 1.x.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win10/Debian Linux
And now begins the era of unofficial updates for NT5.1. Not that it hadn't already begun several years ago - there's been attempts at porting DirectX 10 to XP, There's been 4GB PAE extension mods to make XP support more than 4GB of RAM. There have been various modifications of the OS over the years that patched core system files' resources, extending API's, etc. Seeing as 2000 has extended kernels that actually provide NT5.1-6.0 functions to support newer software, it's entirely in the realm of possibility that XP will get the same treatment. Keeping XP alive well beyond its intended use case is something that will extend well beyond its usability phase - we're already about 13 years out from that, at this point.

First things first, we're going to want backported CVE security fixes. I'm relatively certain that there's got to be at least one person already planning on this.
Secondly, the 'enhancements' - We've had UI enhancements over the years, unofficial themes, directX 10 backported (albeit not exactly useful for much), wineD3D for directX 7-11 (https://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag), and many other enhancements.
Third, whatever else floats one's boat. NT 5.1 ran on so many different types of systems, there's drivers for practically everything. Even in its official end of support, it will continue being used in niche hardware and software. Keeping it around for years beyond the initial scope of use is something we do here for every OS we've ever encountered!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:36 pm 
FTP Access

I've used Windows XP for a long time, it was fast, secure and stable. The spirit of NT5.1 shall never die. It is the inspiration of better versions of Windows and we should not forget our friend who helped us to get through all the hard work and provide us with entertainment (yes, play minesweeper in office secretly*hehe* ).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:37 pm 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
I remember my XP machine. It was super slow, and I figured out why. My processor was on power saving mode so it was running at 800 MHz instead of 2.8 GHz. Then the power supply blew and it got thrown out.

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4 and XP SP3
I won't get into the whole debate over if you should continue to use any XP variant now that it's unsupported (if you've known me for a while you already know my opinion on this matter), but still.

It feels quite... surreal knowing that XP, which was supported for longer than some people on this website has been ALIVE for, has finally bit the dust for good. Like if XP was a person, it would be a junior in HIGH SCHOOL. That's how long MS ultimately kept it alive.

But, I think the big question is Windows Update. Microsoft is apparently gonna require SHA-2 encryption for Windows Update starting on July 16th for Windows 7+. I wouldn't be surprised if MS also uses that date to finally discontinue the web based Windows Update and maybe even updates for Windows Vista too, as Vista uses basically the same WU client as Windows 7+ but IIRC never received an SHA-2 update, so... if you are still using 2000, XP, or Vista and do not want to bother with the somewhat confusing Unofficial Updates and Service Packs out there (at least, that was my experience the last time I tried them out for 2000 a few years back, your results may vary), I think it's a good idea to do a Windows Update run ASAP before MS pulls the plug for good.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4 and XP
Today is a sad day, but without xp, windows 7 and above might not have been the same.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:26 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows XP RTM, SP3 XP
It's over. It is completely over now. We can all thank Windows XP-based versions for staying alive for nearly 18 years.

It's all over now. Sleep tight, XP.

-Next time on Finishing support for Operating Systems: Windows 7!-

Bill Gates was on some stuff when he thought of the codename.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP
XP was awesome OS. But its not dead yet :) Still many of us have XP boxes :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:35 am 

Favourite OS
XP-2600 & LH-3683
wow. I was actually gonna install POSready on my old laptop to keep it safe... it's sad to think the last XP-based kernel has fallen out of security. R.I.P XP

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:41 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Nashville 4.00.83
Today marks the official end of Windows XP... :cry: I knew this day was to come...
And next year ends Win7 support... :$

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:14 am 

Almost 18 years later, and XP still refuses to die. Some market share estimates place it higher than 8 and Vista.
Bear in mind how long ago 2001 was. Pentium 4/Athlon XPs had just launched. Computers were still beige. Frosted tips and shiny pants were cool. Disposable cameras, CDs, and payphones were still a thing. Smartphones were still science fiction.
It's honestly surreal how long-lived and rock solid it's been.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:00 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
You can still get winxp for virtual machines. Or have they killed that, too.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:19 am 

Favourite OS
Michael Jackson's OS
Also, it's been 5 years since the main version of Windows XP ended support.

Last edited by Michael Jackson on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 50 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:01 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
Funny thing, I never liked XP too much. Compared to Win2000 it felt like bloatware.
XP was the reason why 2000 became outdated too soon: I haven't forgiven that yet.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:59 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows XP - 2600
People, Microsoft Windows XP in every way was finally killed. And so did a lot of amazing memories with it. Many people have used Windows XP on any computer they've had, it had a lot of cool improvements and features, and was also a bright example of computing made enjoyable. It still surprises me that even 5 years after killing the standard Windows XP, companies that needed a backend for special needs (Windows Embedded 2009) had more support and (maybe) time to upgrade their systems to the latest technologies. Lots of people will miss the lots of hours in front of Windows XP doing their work, doing amazing creations, and more.

We love you XP. Stay safe in the afterpower.
"It is now safe to turn off your computer."

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2195, 3790, 7601, 18362
KnucklesARouge wrote:
nt5.1 is best girl, forever and always. F

LOL, strongly agree. I don't even care if an OS ends support, as long as it supports things I do.

Reddit: superlions16
Discord: superlions16#1003 (add me if you want to, lol)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:48 am 

Favourite OS
Windows XP - 2600
superlions16 wrote:
LOL, strongly agree. I don't even care if an OS ends support, as long as it supports things I do.

It should be clear. Windows XP isn't abandonware if it is supported by the community, by the people that can make it better. We can keep bringing Windows XP the love it deserves even if it isn't patched any longer! (I)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows "Longhorn"
The question is, when we clean install a Windows XP or POSReady 09 on a machine then open Windows Update page in IE, after scanning for updates, it would ask us to jump to a web address where can verify our Windows copies are genuine. However, that address has been offline by Microsoft forever, make verify impossible. So we cannot recieve any updates, even function update (.NET, Windows Search, WMP11, etc.) via web update. The only thing we can do is to wait until a WU message pop up in taskbar and install security update.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:11 pm 
Donator

Good riddance.

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
Sweet! Now we just need to wait for Windows XP and all of its editions to become unpopular so that they can fully become abandonware. People just can't get over XP, LOL.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:37 pm 
FTP Access

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3, Windows 1.0 DR5
RIP XP. Windows XP was my childhood OS (I was born in 1999), and is my favourite. I've got XP running on an older tower and laptop (Inspiron 6400), mostly for running older software, and nostalgia. My high school had computers using XP in it's main computer lab and library until around 2015 or 2016 I think, before everything was 7. Now I think it's all 8.x or 10, not sure though. XP may not be supported by Microsoft anymore, but it will always be supported by us in our hearts.

WindowsNeptune wrote:
The question is, when we clean install a Windows XP or POSReady 09 on a machine then open Windows Update page in IE, after scanning for updates, it would ask us to jump to a web address where can verify our Windows copies are genuine. However, that address has been offline by Microsoft forever, make verify impossible. So we cannot recieve any updates, even function update (.NET, Windows Search, WMP11, etc.) via web update. The only thing we can do is to wait until a WU message pop up in taskbar and install security update.

I still have the update page working, on SP3 (With IE8). And yes, I've downloaded updates from it, in 2019.

3. Windows 10
4. Windows 2000
5. Windows 8.1
6. Windows Vista (SP2)
7. Windows 8.0
8. Windows Vista (SP0)
9. Windows ME

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: R.I.P Windows POSReady 2009        Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:54 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows XP - 2600
Wheatley wrote:
Good riddance.

It's not good. For a lot of people, it will never be good. It will be a huge unforgettable tragedy.

Top  Profile