BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 21h, 53m | CPU: 4% | MEM: 5686MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:36 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4008
Does anyone know and/or have experience with some good pre-built PC builds to use the Whistler and Longhorn Builds with? If so, which ones is perfect to play with these beta's on?

Also if there is not a perfect one and its preferred to build one with parts, what processor/memory would be to get? Probably a graphics card that can handle the pre-reset longhorn builds also.

From right now, I had some old PC's laying around, a "Dell Dimension 3000" with a Pentium 4 2.8GHz 533MHz and 1GB DDR SDRAM @ 333MHz with a 80GB 7200rpm HDD and I thought that it would run Whistler with no problem but surprisingly it doesn't even make it past the "Setup is starting Windows 2000" after it loads all the drivers up, it goes immediately to a BSOD 0x0000001e KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. I did a google search on it and unfortunately, it can be all sorts of things, processor cache is too big to one of the drivers could be conflicting with the hardware, etc and then the bios is so limited on the Dimension, its as if you are using a dumbed downed bios for beginners.

I also have a Compaq Presario SR1917CL with a AMD Athlon 64 , its somewhat newer, it was made after XP MCE 2005 came out which thats what is pre-installed on there but it has SATA and ATA inside. I had many doubts it would actually work but I went ahead and tried, had a spare IDE HDD that I hooked up in this one and no BSOD but it stays stuck at the Setup is starting Windows 2000. Then I have slightly newer Compaq SR series SR5410 that came with Vista Home Premium, but its 64 bit also.

If anyone is wondering, yes I have set the BIO's date back on both systems when these instances happened.

I know there is VMWare, VirtualPC, and the other VM programs out there and I have used them but what im wanting to do exactly is set up a few of my spares, or maybe even just sell the spares since they are not cooperating with installing the whistler build and get some prebuilt manufactured PC builds (Compaq, HP, Dell, even the older eMachines) that may actually work with no problems and have them with quite a few partitions set up to install each fundamental whistler builds that had major changes since obviously im not going to install over 50 builds considering I would only be limited to 24 partitions max before it would throw a BSOD due to the max partitions being made plus additional ones where they system can't assign a drive to them) but ultimately have a Whistler Build Machine, then a Longhorn Pre-set machine, and post-reset longhorn machine. Then anytime I feel like messing with a certain build or enable all the fancy stuff on a Longhorn build, I already have it set up and ready to load up along with the appropriate/correct graphics card. Then if I ever want to show some history to some of my family/friends, I can just bring out the nostalgia PC with old hardware inside and show them the PC's I used to use back in the day along with the added bonus showing them features that started getting implemented with each build's progress that finally became Windows XP and then Longhorn.

Again, if you know a pre-built compaq/dell/hp/emachines that would work perfect with installing these builds then that would be great if you can share that info. If there is no prebuilt ones that would work good then I would need a parts list of what I would need to exactly get all this working good and correctly would be great to know also so I can build one. I can get a cheap case, PSU, but the vital most important components I would need help with is finding the best CPU, Memory, motherboard, etc for making this all work seamlessly with no problems, well that might be asking to much, there might be a problem here and there but hopefully its easier to solve them then deal with the BSOD's and such. After doing all this, I might later on down the road do Windows 98 builds or even perhaps earlier OS versions but then I would have to start looking for some **VINTAGE** PC's lol!

But if anyone wanted to document the results, Dell Dimension 3000 is a no go with BSOD's, the Compaq SR1000 series (particularly the SR1917CL) gets stuck on the Setup is starting" so thats 50/50 right now unless I figure that one out and the last model I mentioned earlier is a unsure but more then likely no for Whistler build installs.

Last but not least, the whistler build I was trying to install on both machines is 2211. Thanks in advanced and any input that is posted! :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:22 am 
Donator

Take a backward step, then a forward step

Favourite OS
LH 4015, Chicago 73g, XP 2416
For Whistler builds I'd recommend something with an Athlon (XP) or Pentium 3 in it, since these were most likely used internally to test Whistler out. Pair it with 512 MB RAM and perhaps a Radeon 9000 or 7500, or early GeForce2/RIVA TNT cards, and you'd have something pretty competent for those. Though, CPU shouldn't matter as much as the GPU due to finicky driver support of course. GPUs should be either PCI or AGP.

Meanwhile for Longhorn, I'd recommend something more from the 2003 era. Pentium 4, Athlon XP, Athlon 64. Graphics cards being GeForce4 thru GeForce 6000 series, or Radeon 8500 or later 9000 series, such as the Radeon 9600. 1 GB of DDR should do you fine. Since Longhorn development spans longer though, your mileage may vary depending on what you want to test.

I'd also recommend to custom build your own, so that way you have more control and flexibility with what you can do. If you want to get cheap components like this, or indeed get them free, I'd recommend heading over to the e-waste bin at your local recycling center if you have one. People throw out Pentium 3/4 stuff, and it usually ends up there.

When in doubt...
iddqd
idkfa

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:32 pm 
FTP Access

Sim31 wrote:
Last but not least, the whistler build I was trying to install on both machines is 2211.

This is a very early build we're talking about here, so it's prone to have its fair share of problems and/or be rather picky about the hardware it's installed on. As a matter of fact, I am told that the latter problem is still prevalent in betas from later Windows versions.

Have you tried anything significantly newer, such as anything from the 24xx series of builds?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4008
DarkerJ wrote:
For Whistler builds I'd recommend something with an Athlon (XP) or Pentium 3 in it, since these were most likely used internally to test Whistler out. Pair it with 512 MB RAM and perhaps a Radeon 9000 or 7500, or early GeForce2/RIVA TNT cards, and you'd have something pretty competent for those. Though, CPU shouldn't matter as much as the GPU due to finicky driver support of course. GPUs should be either PCI or AGP.

Meanwhile for Longhorn, I'd recommend something more from the 2003 era. Pentium 4, Athlon XP, Athlon 64. Graphics cards being GeForce4 thru GeForce 6000 series, or Radeon 8500 or later 9000 series, such as the Radeon 9600. 1 GB of DDR should do you fine. Since Longhorn development spans longer though, your mileage may vary depending on what you want to test.

I'd also recommend to custom build your own, so that way you have more control and flexibility with what you can do. If you want to get cheap components like this, or indeed get them free, I'd recommend heading over to the e-waste bin at your local recycling center if you have one. People throw out Pentium 3/4 stuff, and it usually ends up there.

Awesome! Thanks for the input! Im going to do some searching and the local goodwill shops and even Facebook Barter and Trade groups and see if anyone is getting rid of their old PC's. One mans junk is another mans treasure. Also, eBay happens to have some really cheap components to put together a custom built one. Im going to see what I can find on there.

DJ Deedahx wrote:
Sim31 wrote:
Last but not least, the whistler build I was trying to install on both machines is 2211.

This is a very early build we're talking about here, so it's prone to have its fair share of problems and/or be rather picky about the hardware it's installed on. As a matter of fact, I am told that the latter problem is still prevalent in betas from later Windows versions.

Have you tried anything significantly newer, such as anything from the 24xx series of builds?

I did just try 2419 and it seemed to load up perfect. The OOBE experience did ok midway but then it crashed and had to close and it just booted right up into the desktop. Not sure if that OOBE crash was a normal bug in this build as I looked over at betawiki and didn't see no mention of it but its running good so far with no problems.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:31 pm 
FTP Access

Sim31 wrote:
I did just try 2419 and it seemed to load up perfect. The OOBE experience did ok midway but then it crashed and had to close and it just booted right up into the desktop. Not sure if that OOBE crash was a normal bug in this build as I looked over at betawiki and didn't see no mention of it but its running good so far with no problems.

I've tried that build with VMware in the past - don't recall OOBE crashing at all either. So it might be a little tidbit in your hardware that it doesn't like, but from your description of the issue, it doesn't seem that detrimental to the overall functionality of the OS.
EDIT: I can't seem to recall which build it was exactly, other than the fact that it's either 2416 or 2419... but still, my earlier statement stands.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:49 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4008
DarkerJ wrote:

So I finally have my hands on a Pentium III system, got one really cheap on a Barter and trade group on Facebook locally in my area, looks to be almost brand new, the guy who had it, had a slew of these back in the day when he was deploying these for a computer room in the school and he ordered extra's but never utilized them at all. This looks to be practically brand new, no scratches, dents on the case, inside is clean, heck, I would classify it as almost brand new inside. He had quite a few more and I thought about maybe getting a 2nd one and he is going to hold on to one for me in case I decide to buy a 2nd one. Only spent $20 on it!

Anyways, these came with some 8mb video card, I haven't looked inside yet but thats what i see loaded up in the device manager, I noticed "DarkerJ" mentioned Radeon 9000 or 7500 or GeForce2/Riva TNT cards. Which one would I have the best of luck with? I know the motherboard has AGP and PCI. Which video card would you all recommend the most? Brand, Model to run Whistler and the pre-reset longhorn builds with the least problems? Im thinking ATI was more widely used back in the day more then nVidia wasn't it? I was looking on eBay and there is just many different ones for the ones DarkerJ mentioned. Any points to the right direction is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:09 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Sim31 wrote:
DarkerJ wrote:

So I finally have my hands on a Pentium III system, got one really cheap on a Barter and trade group on Facebook locally in my area, looks to be almost brand new, the guy who had it, had a slew of these back in the day when he was deploying these for a computer room in the school and he ordered extra's but never utilized them at all. This looks to be practically brand new, no scratches, dents on the case, inside is clean, heck, I would classify it as almost brand new inside. He had quite a few more and I thought about maybe getting a 2nd one and he is going to hold on to one for me in case I decide to buy a 2nd one. Only spent $20 on it!

Anyways, these came with some 8mb video card, I haven't looked inside yet but thats what i see loaded up in the device manager, I noticed "DarkerJ" mentioned Radeon 9000 or 7500 or GeForce2/Riva TNT cards. Which one would I have the best of luck with? I know the motherboard has AGP and PCI. Which video card would you all recommend the most? Brand, Model to run Whistler and the pre-reset longhorn builds with the least problems? Im thinking ATI was more widely used back in the day more then nVidia wasn't it? I was looking on eBay and there is just many different ones for the ones DarkerJ mentioned. Any points to the right direction is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Manufacturer shouldn't matter in this case. It would have been foolish for Microsoft to just use one hardware configuration to test Whistler. I'd just go with what works with your budget, to be honest. Later cards (such as the 8500) might work, seeing as they have 2000 drivers that might work on Whistler, but the 7500 and GeForce2 were both released around 99 - 2000, while Whistler was being developed. AGP would be preferred for performance and variety reasons, but I dont think it's going to matter if it's PCI or AGP, just as long as it fits and there's drivers.

Also, consider dual booting it with Windows 98 SE. That will be a good machine for running retro games. :)

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

When in doubt...
iddqd
idkfa

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:58 pm 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
If you’re installing 2202 or 2211, I would recommend a 1999-2000 computer. Pentium 2 or 3, 128-256 megs of RAM, and an ATI rage card

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.
[/color]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:38 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4008
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:
If you’re installing 2202 or 2211, I would recommend a 1999-2000 computer. Pentium 2 or 3, 128-256 megs of RAM, and an ATI rage card

Thanks for the input. Did you have some problems using slightly newer hardware then the recommendations you mentioned above?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:41 pm 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
Yes. I don't have necessarily have a *slightly* newer PC, but running 2257 on my HP z420(Xeon 3.6 GHz, 6GB of RAM, GTX 650) doesn't work. Most of the time it hangs at "Setup is starting Windows..." or it'll not detect my keyboard. I installed it on a W2K laptop that got the OS corrupted, so I installed 2257 on it. If you're installing 2257, I'd Recommend 512 megs for all of the new features. That's all I tried.

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.
[/color]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:47 am 

Favourite OS
Win9X,AmigaOS,GEOS2.0,EAW P8000
in real hardware depends on the build, the compilation 2296 whistler works perfect on a Pentium 2.

from beta 2 onwards a Pentium 3 would be the best.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:55 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 3.11
I remember installing a couple of Longhorn builds on a Pentium 166 just to see if it was possible lol. Such a horrible experience. I would say a Pentium 2 for Whistler and a Pentium 3 minimum for Longhorn. I also seem to remember many of the leaked Longhorn builds requiring patches to fix memory leaks. So, if you find performance being very slow be sure to check RAM usage.

Whistler was not as demanding of course. Even XP became quit e a bit more demanding of resources by the time it hit SP3. But the beta builds, I seem to remember them running about as efficiently as Windows 2000.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:49 am 

Favourite OS
XP-2600 & LH-3683
My Dell Dimension E310(P4, 2GBRAM) ran Longhorn 3683 pretty well, but I haven't had much time to mess with it because it's in the garage right now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:08 pm 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
My IBM Thinkpad T23 was designed for 2k and should work with Whistler, although it uses XP now.
1.13 GHz Pentium III-M, 512 megs of RAM, S3 savage, etc.

mrpijey wrote:
[/color]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:00 pm 
FTP Access

Other than to try it out, what would be the point of running Whistler on real hardware?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:24 am 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
For whistler:
Intel Pentium 3 @ 900MHz
80GB HDD
768MB RAM
S3 Trio64

For longhorn:
Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.0 GHz
160GB HDD
1.5GB RAM
(idk what graphic card to use, but use one which is compatible with XP.)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:42 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WfW 3.11
nvidia fx5200 has directx 9 which is necessary to run aero.
beta drivers are still available
https://www.nvidia.de/object/winvista_75.03_de.html (web archive)
http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/vist ... nvista.exe (web archive)

i can confirm that the above driver works for 4074

supported are, according to NV:
Code:

GeForce FX 5100
GeForce FX 5200
GeForce FX 5200SE
GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
GeForce FX 5500
GeForce FX 5600
GeForce FX 5600 Ultra
GeForce FX 5600SE
GeForce FX 5600XT
GeForce FX 5700
GeForce FX 5700VE
GeForce FX 5700 Ultra
GeForce FX 5700LE
GeForce FX 5800
GeForce FX 5800 Ultra
GeForce FX 5900
GeForce FX 5900 Ultra
GeForce FX 5900XT
GeForce FX 5900ZT
GeForce FX 5950 Ultra
GeForce PCX 5300
GeForce PCX 5750
GeForce PCX 5900
GeForce 6600 GT
GeForce 6600 LE
GeForce 6600
GeForce 6800
GeForce 6800 GT
GeForce 6800 LE
GeForce 6800 Ultra
GeForce 7800 GTX
Quadro FX 540
Quadro FX 1000
Quadro FX 1100
Quadro FX 1300
Quadro FX 1400
Quadro FX 3000
Quadro FX 3000G
Quadro FX 3400
Quadro FX 4000 SDI
Quadro FX 4400
Quadro NVS 280 PCI

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:19 am 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
I have a laptop with 2257
It’s a micron TransportZX that originally had 2000 on it but it crapped itself so I installed 2257 on it.

Specs:
Pentium III at 600MHz
512MB SDRAM
Idk what gfx card
20GB Mini-IDE HD
1024x768 display

mrpijey wrote:
[/color]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:04 am 

MCpillager12 wrote:
For whistler:
Intel Pentium 3 @ 900MHz
80GB HDD
768MB RAM
S3 Trio64

For longhorn:
160GB HDD
1.5GB RAM

Why S3 Trio64? I get it's compatible with nearly everything but it's an odd choice for a P3 system. Riva TNT2 is the first card I can think of that seems like a good choice. Relatively common and has decent performance. For Longhorn, a Radeon 9600 is a great card from that era. Maybe for earlier builds the P3 system is better. Also HDD size doesn't really matter.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
jmilan0302 wrote:
MCpillager12 wrote:
For whistler:
Intel Pentium 3 @ 900MHz
80GB HDD
768MB RAM
S3 Trio64

For longhorn:
160GB HDD
1.5GB RAM

Why S3 Trio64? I get it's compatible with nearly everything but it's an odd choice for a P3 system. Riva TNT2 is the first card I can think of that seems like a good choice. Relatively common and has decent performance. For Longhorn, a Radeon 9600 is a great card from that era. Maybe for earlier builds the P3 system is better. Also HDD size doesn't really matter.

I agree. Honestly, a 32 GB SSD would be good for either, and the Whistler build would be happy on pretty much any Pentium 3 with 512 MB of RAM. Also, I think the S3 Trio64 belongs more with a Windows 9x build. Radeon 7000 or Riva TNT(2) are gonna probably be the best.

When in doubt...
iddqd
idkfa

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:15 pm 

Favourite OS
950C, 2195 USP5.1, 3790, 7600
I was successful in using the Windows 2000 ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 driver with Whistler 2419. Unfortunately the PC had HD audio, and faking the OS version to try to install KB888111w2ksp4 didn't work because the installer complained about "insufficient space". Slipstreaming is a possible workaround though I haven't attempted it yet.

The XP Radeon driver didn't work on Longhorn 3718. I should have used the win2k driver.

That was on an IBM ThinkPad T60, which isn't a good choice for pre-releases. According to 4066, 5048 and 5112, its BIOS is not fully ACPI-compliant yet 2000, 2003 and 7 are fully satisfied with it.

Quicken.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:19 pm 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
MCpillager12 wrote:
For whistler:
Intel Pentium 3 @ 900MHz
80GB HDD
768MB RAM
S3 Trio64

For longhorn:
160GB HDD
1.5GB RAM

I hate double-posting, cant seem to find the edit button :x
Anyways, for the whistler, Ill go for radeon r100, and for longhorn I'll go for a good ol' radeon 9600.
I also agree with DarkerJ for a 32gb ssd for whistler. Also whistler doesnt need more than 8gb hdd unless if its your daily driver.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
I've always had bad moments with ATI cards on Whistler, as the drivers for them never worked.

If you're planning to run Beta 2 (2428-ish period), stick with NVIDIA or Matrox. These pretty much work out of the box and don't BSOD like ATI cards do.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:51 pm 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
Are you using the win2k driver?win32 managed to get the Radeon Mobility X1300 win2k driver to work on 2419.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Good PC build to run Whistler/Longhorn?        Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:31 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows XP Service Pack 1
AMD K6-2 333Mhz with 128MB good for testing Whistler Builds? It have a 3dFX VooDoo Banshee 16MB card and an Avance Logic ALS120 ISA SOund card.

Top  Profile