BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 16h, 23m | CPU: 52% | MEM: 6066MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: .NET Framework "Whidbey" - what is it?        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:00 pm 
FTP Access

We all know that "Whidbey" was a codename for Visual Studio 2005. But recently watching some old presentations I found some references to .NET Framework "Whidbey" (probably an interim release) Microsoft planned to release before WinFX.

Does anybody know what`s happened with this prodouct, what .NET Framework version it`s become or was it canceled?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: .NET Framework "Whidbey" - what is it?        Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Raiker wrote:
We all know that "Whidbey" was a codename for Visual Studio 2005. But recently watching some old presentations I found some references to .NET Framework "Whidbey" (probably an interim release) Microsoft planned to release before WinFX.

Does anybody know what`s happened with this prodouct, what .NET Framework version it`s become or was it canceled?

It was just the .Net 1.2 /2.0 beta that Longhorn used. Some of it's technologies went into 2.0 and later 3.0 and 3.5, but as far as I know, the "Whidbey" name was dropped with Longhorn.

Also, an Installer was made available so you could Install .net "Whidbey" on Server 2003 or XP. I have this and I could upload it if you are interested :)

Btw, It also accompanied Visual Studio "Whidbey" which allowed users to create Longhorn-native applications and sidebar tiles, and SQL Server "Yukon" which could be used in conjunction with the Visual Studio.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:16 am 
FTP Access

No, thank you :) . I just wanted to know what this .NET "Whidbey" is. Thank you for the explanation. (Y)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:52 am 
Donator

Whidbey was the codename of the VS2005 and the .net 2.0 framework.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:18 am 
Donator

It was bot - the Framework Codename and the VS Codename

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: .NET Framework "Whidbey" - what is it?        Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:19 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
hounsell wrote:

Also, an Installer was made available so you could Install .net "Whidbey" on Server 2003 or XP. I have this and I could upload it if you are interested :)

Im interested, please upload it!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: .NET Framework "Whidbey" - what is it?        Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
D.Konieczny wrote:
Im interested, please upload it!

OK, I am just uploading it now :)

Its labelled .net 1.2 and its the same .net included in the Longhorn 4051/4053 builds ;)

Top  Profile  WWW