BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 46d, 6h, 58m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 5548MB of 11659MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: I have a technical question regarding kernel debugging        Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:27 am 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:43 am

Posts
29

Favourite OS
Windows XP Home with SP3 x86
I have a copy of SoftICE and am trying to get it to run in Windows 2000 (which it should be able to do). Problem is I'm running Win2000 in VirtualBox. I'm not sure if that makes any difference, or maybe the fact I've installed the VBox Guest Additions makes a difference. Whatever the case, I find that when I push Ctrl+D to start SoftICE, it pauses the OS execution, but does not display the SoftICE interface. I'm just starting to get into understanding kernel (ring-0) stuff, and I think that a kernel debugger like SoftICE is a good place to start.

And no, I'm not going to switch over to using Microsoft's WinDbg. That program requires linking to physical computers together with a serial cable to perform kernel debugging (one computer debugs while the other gets debugged). That's not an acceptable solution. I only have one computer (actually a virtual machine) and I need to be able to run a program that will perform kernel level debugging on the computer it's running on, and SoftICE can do this.

I'm open to any suggestions, such as hacks to make it work, or alternate debuggers. I'm not sure if it's just that Win2000 doesn't like SoftICE, or if there's something about running Win2000 in VirtualBox that makes it behave differently than when running on real hardware (possibly because I have VBox Guest Additions installed?). Any suggestions would be appreciated (except telling me to use WinDbg, as that's one thing I can't use here).


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I have a technical question regarding kernel debugging        Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:11 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed May 02, 2012 12:57 am

Posts
375

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.x
Videogamer555 wrote:
And no, I'm not going to switch over to using Microsoft's WinDbg. That program requires linking to physical computers together with a serial cable to perform kernel debugging (one computer debugs while the other gets debugged). That's not an acceptable solution.

VirtualBox in the newest version can link together two virtual machines via a virtual COM port. I heard it's a bit iffy to set up, I know though that this worked in Virtual PC which has a similar function. All that you need for this is enough horsepower to run two virtual machines at once.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I have a technical question regarding kernel debugging        Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:06 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Posts
1940

Location
Czechia
Videogamer555 wrote:
I have a copy of SoftICE and am trying to get it to run in Windows 2000 (which it should be able to do). Problem is I'm running Win2000 in VirtualBox. I'm not sure if that makes any difference, or maybe the fact I've installed the VBox Guest Additions makes a difference. Whatever the case, I find that when I push Ctrl+D to start SoftICE, it pauses the OS execution, but does not display the SoftICE interface. I'm just starting to get into understanding kernel (ring-0) stuff, and I think that a kernel debugger like SoftICE is a good place to start.

And no, I'm not going to switch over to using Microsoft's WinDbg. That program requires linking to physical computers together with a serial cable to perform kernel debugging (one computer debugs while the other gets debugged). That's not an acceptable solution. I only have one computer (actually a virtual machine) and I need to be able to run a program that will perform kernel level debugging on the computer it's running on, and SoftICE can do this.

I'm open to any suggestions, such as hacks to make it work, or alternate debuggers. I'm not sure if it's just that Win2000 doesn't like SoftICE, or if there's something about running Win2000 in VirtualBox that makes it behave differently than when running on real hardware (possibly because I have VBox Guest Additions installed?). Any suggestions would be appreciated (except telling me to use WinDbg, as that's one thing I can't use here).

I am not really aware of how SoftICE works, but as 3155ffGd said, WinDbg does not require a physical connection of two real machines. It's pretty much possible to use WinDbg for debugging virtual machines with no physical links involved.

Personally I believe VMware is more suited for this kind of job, as it supports redirecting the VM serial output to a named pipe, which is then opened in WinDbg. This requires no additional software and works out of the box.

_________________
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I have a technical question regarding kernel debugging        Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:51 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:28 am

Posts
1531

Location
Slovenia

Favourite OS
5111
VirtualBox supports named pipes too.

_________________
Image

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I have a technical question regarding kernel debugging        Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:42 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:43 am

Posts
29

Favourite OS
Windows XP Home with SP3 x86
Even if that works, there comes a technical problem. How do I get a version of WinDbg that's compatible with Windows 2000. Microsoft no longer supports that OS. WinDbg is only available through the Windows 10 app store, and of course the app store only has the latest version (not an older version as needed to work with Windows 2000).


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I have a technical question regarding kernel debugging        Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:30 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:43 am

Posts
777

Favourite OS
Win10/Debian Linux
Windbg comes with the Windows SDK, and previous versions for 2000 came in the Platform SDK. You can use at least up through 2003 SP1's Platform SDK on 2000. You may even be able to utilize later versions (untested) - possibly the Vista and 7 platform sdk's (not sure when they dropped 2000 support).

_________________
Need disks scanned in the USA? I have a Kryoflux, and am willing to help get your disks archived! I also offer xbox and xbox 360 repair and modding services. PM me for details!


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: I have a technical question regarding kernel debugging        Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:40 am 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:43 am

Posts
29

Favourite OS
Windows XP Home with SP3 x86
jimmsta wrote:
Windbg comes with the Windows SDK, and previous versions for 2000 came in the Platform SDK. You can use at least up through 2003 SP1's Platform SDK on 2000. You may even be able to utilize later versions (untested) - possibly the Vista and 7 platform sdk's (not sure when they dropped 2000 support).

So does WinDbg not support Windows 2000 then? So how do I download an older debugger that does.
Or better yet, how do I get SoftIce working properly in Virtual Box?


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2019

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS


Affiliate