BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 3h, 58m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 7145MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 2000 Beta 3 POST-Install (OOBE) problem        Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:40 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 Build 9600
Hi! Today, i was trying to install Windows 2000 Beta 3 (Build 1946) on VirtualBox, everything is good, but when on setup wizard and "installing devices" step, the screen is showing unexpected black screen. I have restarted the installation 3 times but it didn't effect.
Anyone know how to install it properly?

INFO : RAM for Virtual VMs is 1GB

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 2000 Beta 3 POST-Install (OOBE) problem        Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:40 am 

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111
RAM is okay, but maybe it's the timebomb

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 2000 Beta 3 POST-Install (OOBE) problem        Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
What's the rest of your VM configuration?

It could be the common IDE bug, you can look it up on how to bypass it.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 2000 Beta 3 POST-Install (OOBE) problem        Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
The display driver crashes during device installation if you try installing most builds from 18xx to about mid-20xx in VirtualBox. You can either try doing the rest of the installation effectively blind (not recommended), or you can try upgrading to 1946 from NT 4. For some reason, the display driver doesn't crash during upgrades.

Overdoze wrote:
What's the rest of your VM configuration?

It could be the common IDE bug, you can look it up on how to bypass it.

It's not the IDE bug in this case, as the IDE bug has different symptoms that manifest later in install. To quote the VirtualBox manual:

Quote:
When installing Windows 2000 guests, you might run into one of the following issues:
Installation reboots, usually during component registration.
Installation fills the whole hard disk with empty log files.
Installation complains about a failure installing msgina.dll.

These builds should still be affected by it however IIRC, so you should probably use the workaround (provided in the quote below) anyway:

Quote:
VBoxManage setextradata "VM name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/piix3ide/0/Config/IRQDelay" 1

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 2000 Beta 3 POST-Install (OOBE) problem        Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:14 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune 5111
I recommend using VMware or Pcem to install Windows NT 5.0

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 2000 Beta 3 POST-Install (OOBE) problem        Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:11 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 Build 9600
this is the VM configuration. Sorry for very late reply.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 2000 Beta 3 POST-Install (OOBE) problem        Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:12 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 Build 9600
Courage wrote:
The display driver crashes during device installation if you try installing most builds from 18xx to about mid-20xx in VirtualBox. You can either try doing the rest of the installation effectively blind (not recommended), or you can try upgrading to 1946 from NT 4. For some reason, the display driver doesn't crash during upgrades.

Thank you!

Top  Profile