BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 65d, 9h, 40m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 5206MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:18 pm 
FTP Access

Yeh, luckily I only paid around £40 for that board so it won't be too expensive a mistake if I do decide to change it (unless I mess up the thermal paste as you have to do that if you change a board, and end up with the CPU overheating and burning out the entire box, or something equally catastrophic... :P). The most expensive mistake I was worried about with it being my first time was doing something wrong and destroying my £100 graphics card or something like that! (the only hardware I had ever touched before was just older stuff that didn't cost me anything)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:27 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I hate doing heat paste. Not only is it messy but it can also not work properly. You have to get the thickness just right or it won't play and your CPU might end up not getting the cooling it should. My old laptop for example. In the last 2 months it has its heat paste replaced 3 times and its still overheating and cutting off after a few minutes of 100% CPU load. As a result I can no longer play YouTube videos on it or do anything intensive, including any web based flash items, since it loads the CPU up too much.

I think the hardest thing about the heat paste is spreading it properly. I always end up using a piece of folded up paper or card to spread it. Seems to work a treat but it can still be messy. Word of warning, don't get heat paste on your clothes, its a real pain to get off.

I was worried about damaging my graphics card as well, it did after all cost £140! It was the most expensive part of the system, and also one of the most important since the motherboard doesn't have on-board graphics.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:07 am 
Donator

I don't know about you, but i used to reuse thermal past on a sempron and it still worked fine. I did tat with a Pentium 4 too. I agree, they are very messy when you get it on your hand.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:08 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
XDude wrote:
I don't know about you, but i used to reuse thermal past on a sempron and it still worked fine. I did tat with a Pentium 4 too. I agree, they are very messy when you get it on your hand.

Reusing paste is never a good idea since when it is heated for so long its compound changes. Thats why they say you get a good thermal cooling conduction after XXX number of hours on the paste tubes. The cpu and the heatsink "bond" better after XXX hours so the heat transfer works better. Reused paste probably wouldn't do this.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:36 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1 x64
DJ 2501 wrote:
I would use 64 bit but Iv heard drivers are a nightmare and alot of apps dont work with 64 bit versions of windows. we'll see. Vista isnt an option, I'm sticking with xp until its no longer supported by ms.

Well I use Vista 64 Bit, and I have no problems with drivers or program compatibility, over the past year there have been alot of updates to Vista (and most recently SP1), which have fixed ALOT of problems and compatibility issues. Vista is now at a point where it's just as usable as XP, and in my opinion, for the 64 Bit version, faster and more stable.

Speaking of 64 Bit, if you want to be able to use more than 3 GB of ram "properly", you will have to use a 64 Bit OS. 64 Bit XP is alright, although as said above, you can run into problems with older programs detecting it as Windows Server 2003 (as the OS is based on 2K3). A quad core is a very good option at any speed, especially for work with video etc, but depending on what you use it for, a higher clocked dual core can be as fast or faster than the quad core.

My opinion is ... you are buying brand new hardware, so it will have all the drivers you'll need for XP or Vista. To get the most out of your hardware, you're best to get a 64 Bit version of Vista, with recent hardware, it's better than XP, full stop, I don't care what you say. If you think Vista is too heavy, then turn off or uninstall all the extras like the Aero interface. Vista will take full advantage of your hardware, espcially when it comes to gaming (DirectX 10.1 support for example). What's the point in getting an über graphics card, and staying with prehistoric software support (looks at Andy) ...

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
No-one told me about the issue of a lot of boards not supporting 4 GB memory either (the specs of the board said "maximum memory supported 4 GB", but in fact the 32-bit chipset means Windows can only get at 3.3 GB of that - rip-off again!).

Wrong, your motherboard will support the full 4 GB of ram. It's your operating system that's limiting you. To use 4GB or more, you have to use a 64 Bit operating system and have "Memory Remap" enabled in the bios. Most old boards of the Socket A (Athlon XP) and Socket 478 (Pentium 4) era support 4 GB, so don't tell me your LGA 775 (Core 2 Duo) based board doesn't. Having the latest bios always helps as well.

Andy wrote:
help me build my PC (thanks Dan :)), and I ended up with a PC I'd always dreamed off.

No problem, I'm pleased that you listend to what I had to say, after alot of arguing, lol. I'm glad you're happy with it anyway!

Andy wrote:
Reusing paste is never a good idea

I agree, it's like you said, it changes as it's heated and cooled over time.

Andy wrote:
I think the hardest thing about the heat paste is spreading it properly. I always end up using a piece of folded up paper or card to spread it.

Really? I just use my finger, seems to work just fine, lol! Artic Silver 5 is the worst stuff ever, thick and very very sticky, lol

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:46 am 
FTP Access

DanielC wrote:
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
No-one told me about the issue of a lot of boards not supporting 4 GB memory either (the specs of the board said "maximum memory supported 4 GB", but in fact the 32-bit chipset means Windows can only get at 3.3 GB of that - rip-off again!).

Wrong, your motherboard will support the full 4 GB of ram. It's your operating system that's limiting you. To use 4GB or more, you have to use a 64 Bit operating system and have "Memory Remap" enabled in the bios. Most old boards of the Socket A (Athlon XP) and Socket 478 (Pentium 4) era support 4 GB, so don't tell me your LGA 775 (Core 2 Duo) based board doesn't. Having the latest bios always helps as well

I'm using 64-bit Vista and have this problem - I did look for that kind of thing in the Bios before as I know it's because the old Intel 945 chipset (and similar) maps address space for PCI devices etc into the 3-4 GB range (so that memory can't be accessed) and you have to have one of the newer ones to get around this otherwise, but couldn't find anything like that, there don't seem a huge number of options available in there and there wasn't anything like that. I will have another look though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:11 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1 x64
What motherboard do you have exactly? And what version of the 945 chipset?

You can see if it supports 4 GB of ram here (scroll down) :

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/express_flyer.htm

You could post some photos of your bios setup screens too, so we could see what your settings are.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:01 am 
Donator

Andy wrote:
XDude wrote:

Reusing paste is never a good idea since when it is heated for so long its compound changes. Thats why they say you get a good thermal cooling conduction after XXX number of hours on the paste tubes. The cpu and the heatsink "bond" better after XXX hours so the heat transfer works better. Reused paste probably wouldn't do this.

I know it wasn't the best idea, but sometimes i need to switch a fan and that i don't have any past around.
I try to appy it evenly with a pen rolling on it and it does the job. It worked for a while till i switch the cpu.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:36 pm 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 has a Gigabyte GA-945P-S3 motherboard with – as the name implies – a 945P chipset, and from what I can get this/the BIOS doesn't support the Memory Remapping feature, so anything beyond ~3.25GB of RAM is inaccessible, no matter if an x86 or x64 OS is used. Vista is not using the newest BIOS though, so this might help.

Top  Profile