BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 37d, 2h, 42m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 6634MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows XP 64-bit and Media Center?        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:14 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Is there a way to add Media Center into 64-bit XP? I tried several times install from Media Center Component CD but it always gives the same error 'This package only works on Windows XP Media Center Edition.' How to succeed it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP 64-bit and Media Center?        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:48 pm 
FTP Access

XP Media Center was always 32 bit only, and Microsoft never made a 64 bit XP Media Center Edition.

So the answer is no.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP 64-bit and Media Center?        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
You could convert the edition of XP 64 bit to Media Center using TweakNT, and then maybe trying out

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP 64-bit and Media Center?        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler 2428 and Longhorn 3713
SistemaRayoXP wrote:
You could convert the edition of XP 64 bit to Media Center using TweakNT, and then maybe trying out

Uh, no. It only changes the branding but doesn't add the applications.

BetaWiki contributor.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP 64-bit and Media Center?        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:39 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 1 DR5 to 10 build 9901
But could it change editions? It might be possible.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP 64-bit and Media Center?        Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:48 am 

Windows Thunderstruck wrote:
XP Media Center was always 32 bit only, and Microsoft never made a 64 bit XP Media Center Edition.

So the answer is no.

I think the question is whether it's possible to transplant the media center app from XP MCE to XP Pro x64.
A few people online have been able to graft it onto XP home, so maybe? I'm not really familiar with how much of the codebase is shared.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP 64-bit and Media Center?        Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:08 am 
FTP Access

MrBurgerKing wrote:
Windows Thunderstruck wrote:

So the answer is no.

I think the question is whether it's possible to transplant the media center app from XP MCE to XP Pro x64.
A few people online have been able to graft it onto XP home, so maybe? I'm not really familiar with how much of the codebase is shared.

Well, the original XP 64 bit version was for the Itanium and based off the original Windows XP codebase.

And XP 64-Bit Version 2003 and Professional x64 Edition were both based off Server 2003's codebase.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP 64-bit and Media Center?        Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:31 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
BF10 wrote:
SistemaRayoXP wrote:

cplyakap wrote:
I tried several times install from Media Center Component CD but it always gives the same error 'This package only works on Windows XP Media Center Edition.'

If he can install MCE from MCE components CD, he doesn't needs the apps by themselves. The process to install MCE into 64 bit Windows XP is mostly the same as converting XP Home and Pro to MCE, just this time you add the 64 bit. Note that MCE is 32 bit, so by running MCE in 64 bit Windows will run them in 32 bit mode.

As a side note, I remember using a Longhorn build which had MCE (It was in the 3xxx early 4xxx range) and Longhorn had 64 bit images since some build, I don't remember which one but there might be a LH build with MCE and in 64 bit if you have enough luck

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP 64-bit and Media Center?        Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:37 am 
FTP Access

SistemaRayoXP wrote:
BF10 wrote:
SistemaRayoXP wrote:

cplyakap wrote:
I tried several times install from Media Center Component CD but it always gives the same error 'This package only works on Windows XP Media Center Edition.'

If he can install MCE from MCE components CD, he doesn't needs the apps by themselves. The process to install MCE into 64 bit Windows XP is mostly the same as converting XP Home and Pro to MCE, just this time you add the 64 bit. Note that MCE is 32 bit, so by running MCE in 64 bit Windows will run them in 32 bit mode.

As a side note, I remember using a Longhorn build which had MCE (It was in the 3xxx early 4xxx range) and Longhorn had 64 bit images since some build, I don't remember which one but there might be a LH build with MCE and in 64 bit if you have enough luck

About the Longhorn thing, 3683 to 3718 had MCE on the disk itself.

None of the pre-reset Longhorn 64-bit builds had Media Center on them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP 64-bit and Media Center?        Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WinXP SP2 x64 5.2.3790
Vista Longhorn 5384 x64 has Media Center:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP 64-bit and Media Center?        Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:29 am 

Favourite OS
Michael Jackson's OS
Beta12 wrote:
Vista Longhorn 5384 x64 has Media Center:

Also, 5219, 5270 and 5308 x64 have Media Center. They're all Vista but anyway.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP 64-bit and Media Center?        Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:24 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
But any of those have Vista's Media Center, not like the prereset builds which have XP's Media Center

Top  Profile  YIM