BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 50d, 14h, 52m | CPU: 24% | MEM: 6229MB of 10958MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Are any Odyssey Builds known?        Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:00 am 

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111
Are any Odyssey Builds known? Or at least its NT Kernel version?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Are any Odyssey Builds known?        Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:50 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7600
None have been confirmed. It is unknown whether or not any exist.

According to a Paul Thurrott article, the version number is 6.0

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Are any Odyssey Builds known?        Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:57 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win10/Debian Linux
A lot of the codenames exist solely for the developers to secure funding of development, even if it's just an outline of features for a future version of Windows - and not even launching products. This is common in most companies with boards that handle all the money.

Odyssey was likely the R&D codename of ideas on paper that became the ideas for NT6 - which would have been an extension/continuation of the Cairo vision. Microsoft wanted to realize all of the Cairo vision ideas, by the end of the decade - in a shipping product. BlackComb was another name that was quickly swept under the rug by the time that LongHorn began actual development. Again, a name set aside for funding by the board.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Are any Odyssey Builds known?        Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I don't know if they do. We probably never will unless Microsoft discloses information around them or lets people who know under NDA talk about them. I would not believe screenshots though if they come from sketchy places or look sketchy

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Are any Odyssey Builds known?        Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:15 am 

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111
I do know however, that Odyssey was indeed in development.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Are any Odyssey Builds known?        Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:50 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Odyssey was in development, but that implies nothing about whether or not any builds were compiled (development includes planning).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Are any Odyssey Builds known?        Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:14 pm 

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111
The antitrust documents do say that "From our work on Neptune, Odyssey and other projects..." Which probably means that it could be compiled; Wikipedia (although i doubt this information) says that there was a new UI, and that it was shelved because of "High hardware requirements, and because Neptune had the same codebase"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Are any Odyssey Builds known?        Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OdysseyNeptune wrote:
The antitrust documents do say that "From our work on Neptune, Odyssey and other projects..." Which probably means that it could be compiled;

More likely it just means they were doing extensive planning, prototyping, etc. before doing any actual work on the code.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Are any Odyssey Builds known?        Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:23 am 

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111
Why do people say it wasn't compiled? It was begun at the same time as Neptune; it would obviously have compiled builds. However, i am sure Triton was never compiled.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Are any Odyssey Builds known?        Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:47 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OdysseyNeptune wrote:
It was begun at the same time as Neptune; it would obviously have compiled builds.

That is a pretty bold claim to make, considering there's very little known about the project. It's not even mentioned in the Neptune plans from 1998, when work on Neptune was already under way. In fact, the name Odyssey is only mentioned once in the antitrust documents (what you referred to a couple posts above), at least as far as I know. If you have any other information regarding Odyssey from the antitrust documents that indicate it was more than just a bunch of ideas an plans, then please, by all means share this information with us.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Are any Odyssey Builds known?        Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:15 pm 

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111
I have a bit more, in the antitrust documents, it briefly mentions NT6. Odyssey could have a version number of 6.0, because it states "...Neptune/NT6 Team..."
And yes, it was begun at the same time; Odyssey does have a build or two maybe, less than Neptune for sure, but it probably had some builds.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Are any Odyssey Builds known?        Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:28 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OdysseyNeptune wrote:
Odyssey does have a build or two maybe, less than Neptune for sure, but it probably had some builds.

The statements in bold contradict each other. The former suggests that you know for sure that some Odyssey builds were compiled, while the latter conveys uncertainty on the issue.

Which one is it? Do you know for sure, or do you just suspect that there were some builds?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Are any Odyssey Builds known?        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:30 pm 

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111
Well, by "probably some" i meant probably some more than 1 or 2

Top  Profile