Windows NT 4 - wireless?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Tootles
Donator

Windows NT 4 - wireless?

Post by Tootles »

I've been wondering about getting an old(ish) laptop and putting Windows NT 4 onto it to use for some programming. If I get a laptop that has wireless capability, will NT 4 work with it, or do I have to stick with an Ethernet connection?
Have a day.

Andy
Administrator

Re: Windows NT 4 - wireless?

Post by Andy »

marktuson wrote:I've been wondering about getting an old(ish) laptop and putting Windows NT 4 onto it to use for some programming. If I get a laptop that has wireless capability, will NT 4 work with it, or do I have to stick with an Ethernet connection?
I doubt it would since NT is for servers/workstations, not wireless applications. However, most wireless cards will come with drivers for 2k/XP/Vista, and they -might- work with NT. All you can do is try I suppose.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

There is wireless support but its not the best plus drivers are hard to get

idontknow
FTP Access

Post by idontknow »

Depends on your laptop, my Thinkpad has NT4 drivers for wireless, and they work. I guess you should check before buying. Also I believe NT4 uses a different driver model than 2000/XP so those drivers probably won't work.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

Unfortunately, my Wireless device requires at least Windows 98 SE, or for NT Based OS's, Windows 2000. I doubt it will be compatible with Windows NT 4.0, since Wireless devices are almost always USB devices.

KenOath

Post by KenOath »

WinPC wrote:Unfortunately, my Wireless device requires at least Windows 98 SE, or for NT Based OS's, Windows 2000. I doubt it will be compatible with Windows NT 4.0, since Wireless devices are almost always USB devices.
He's asking about wireless networking..! Not wireless USB devices...
That's why he asked if he'd have to stick with an ethernet connection
otherwise...
marktuson wrote:or do I have to stick with an Ethernet connection?

Windows NT
FTP Access

Post by Windows NT »

You have to use old 16-bit PCMCIA cards like ELSA Vianect or Netgear MA401 16-Bit, they work under Windows NT 4.0 and NT 5.0. So I have Wireless Lan under my main os, NT 4.0.
Windows "2000" is the worst OS ever, followed by Windows XP.

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

The other option is to get a Linksys WRT54GL wireless router, reflash it with a different, more useful firmware (Tomato Firmware is awesomeness, but DD-WRT is alright too), and set it to the client mode. Then connect the router to your computer with ethernet. It basically acts as a bridge between your computer and the wireless network. Though this wouldn't be all that convenient for a laptop, but it would work.
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Windows NT wrote:You have to use old 16-bit PCMCIA cards like ELSA Vianect or Netgear MA401 16-Bit, they work under Windows NT 4.0 and NT 5.0. So I have Wireless Lan under my main os, NT 4.0.
That's the way to go. The OS doesn't have to "support" wireless out of the box (Win2k actually doesn't either), the most important thing is a driver for the OS you want to run. Old PCMCIA/CardBus cards often have drivers for NT 4 and even Windows 95b, such as my D-Link DCF-660W (it's a CompactFlash card but works fine in a laptop using a PCMCIA adaptor). The driver software will also include a tool to associate with a wireless network, and to the OS, this connection will appear just as any other simple network connection.

Not all wireless devices are USB devices. A fair share of them connects via PCI(e) or PCMCIA/CardBus. Besides, NT4 can support USB 1.1 after installing a 3rd-party driver, however one's still out of luck if the actual device is not supported.