BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 11h, 38m | CPU: 44% | MEM: 5622MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: NT 4.0 setup not starting, gives a black/blue screen        Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:44 pm 
FTP Access

Bliss, Sonoma, CA ...... (the most beautiful place in the world >>>)

Favourite OS
NT 4.0, Wh 2296, XP SP3, LH 4074
I'm trying to install NT 4.0 Workstation on a laptop. After 'Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration', it goes to the Windows NT Setup screen and setup files are being loaded, then suddenly whilst setup is still loading, it hangs forever. The top half of the screen is blue (the same blue as the setup background) and the bottom half is black. I also tried the floppy install method using a Win 98 bootdisk but gave the same results. Quite weird that this is happening. I googled for suggestions but found nothing, not even when filtering results dated until c. 2003. Can anyone help?

ImageImage

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT 4.0 setup not starting, gives a black/blue screen        Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:27 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
You need to enable "CPUID limitation" or similar in the BIOS.

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT 4.0 setup not starting, gives a black/blue screen        Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:42 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
The Distractor wrote:

How would you go about doing that if the BIOS has no such option? I know SP6 fixes that but you have to slipstream it. There's a guide somewhere though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT 4.0 setup not starting, gives a black/blue screen        Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
Goldfish64 wrote:
The Distractor wrote:

How would you go about doing that if the BIOS has no such option? I know SP6 fixes that but you have to slipstream it. There's a guide somewhere though.

I'm guessing you'd have to boot through a modified loader that turned on the nt4 compatibility MSR, until installation of SP6.

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT 4.0 setup not starting, gives a black/blue screen        Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
The Distractor wrote:
Goldfish64 wrote:
The Distractor wrote:

I'm guessing you'd have to boot through a modified loader that turned on the nt4 compatibility MSR, until installation of SP6.

I don't have that option in the BIOS indeed. Are you talking about a modified OS Loader 4.00? You have any idea where to get it?

ImageImage

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT 4.0 setup not starting, gives a black/blue screen        Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:33 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Considering you said that, can I perhaps use a loophole through e.g. the Win 2000 bootloader?

ImageImage

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT 4.0 setup not starting, gives a black/blue screen        Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:41 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Homers wrote:
Considering you said that, can I perhaps use a loophole through e.g. the Win 2000 bootloader?

It's not the bootloader but the kernel. Using the Windows 2000 NTLDR will not make a difference. The only option is to slipstream SP6 into the install media, but I could be wrong.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT 4.0 setup not starting, gives a black/blue screen        Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Hmm okay. So you're suggesting putting SP6 on the CD... There is no ready-made ISO right? I haven't found one.

I have however found this guide: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/99030-i ... ack-howto/ .

EDIT: The three links are dead and also not on Wayback Machine.

ImageImage

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT 4.0 setup not starting, gives a black/blue screen        Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I found this a while back: http://web.archive.org/web/201407250636 ... winnt4.htm

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT 4.0 setup not starting, gives a black/blue screen        Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Seems like a great guide, I followed it and created the ISO and burned it. I tested in a virtual machine beforehand and it worked well. But on the real machine, once again, it gave the black/blue screen. The only difference this time that there's a blinking command at the top but I can't do anything. Frustrated!

BTW I skipped the optional step 12 'integrate storage controller driver' - maybe that was necessary?

ImageImage

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT 4.0 setup not starting, gives a black/blue screen        Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:11 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51 build 1057
Homers wrote:
Seems like a great guide, I followed it and created the ISO and burned it. I tested in a virtual machine beforehand and it worked well. But on the real machine, once again, it gave the black/blue screen. The only difference this time that there's a blinking command at the top but I can't do anything. Frustrated!

BTW I skipped the optional step 12 'integrate storage controller driver' - maybe that was necessary?

Do you have updated ntos*.exe on new disk?
You may need SP6 ntos*.exe to boot on that machine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT 4.0 setup not starting, gives a black/blue screen        Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
roytam1 wrote:
Homers wrote:

Do you have updated ntos*.exe on new disk?
You may need SP6 ntos*.exe to boot on that machine.

I've copied the SP6 ntoskrnl.exe from the CD (dated 1999) to replace the existing installation one on C: (dated 1996) but same results.

After researching a bit I came upon some sites saying how NT has difficulties installing on a computer with a CPUID value higher than 3 (i.e. newer PCs). A post on this thread https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums ... pic/296187 claims it can be changed in BIOS but like I said before I have no option.

Sources claim SP6 solved this problem, so I'm not sure why it's still giving this error with the slipstreamed CD. Any other suggestions?

ImageImage

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT 4.0 setup not starting, gives a black/blue screen        Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:57 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51 build 1057
try slipstreaming it
http://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/winnt4.htm#p1

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT 4.0 setup not starting, gives a black/blue screen        Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
roytam1 wrote:

See above, that's exactly what I did.

ImageImage

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT 4.0 setup not starting, gives a black/blue screen        Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:58 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
BUMP?

I know it's been a long time but I recently took out the laptop and reminded myself of this issue. Anyone still have suggestions?

ImageImage

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT 4.0 setup not starting, gives a black/blue screen        Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:13 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.5.8
Exactly what laptop are you trying to install Windows NT 4.0 on? Chances are it has some sort of CPU compatibility setting in the BIOS and you might have missed it (if it's a Dell laptop, try changing the CPU setting from "Normal" to "Compatible"). Also, what CPU does your laptop have? I remember being able to install Windows NT 4.0 on a Pentium 4 Compaq during my childhood albeit without drivers.

If there's absolutely no known workaround for your issue, you can try installing Windows NT 4.0 in a virtual machine and then "clone" your virtual hard disk image onto your laptop's hard drive (you may need special adapters to use your laptop's hard drive in another computer). Someone else managed to use this method to get Windows NT 4.0 installed on newer hardware, so it might work for you.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: NT 4.0 setup not starting, gives a black/blue screen        Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:23 pm 

Favourite OS
Win 10 x64
Does anybody have hardware compatible to run setup NT4 on real hardware?? What is latest compatible CPU & mobo... Pentium 4 HT and ??

Top  Profile