BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 10d, 23h, 39m | CPU: 8% | MEM: 2304MB of 3601MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows Storage Server 2003        Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:01 am 
Donator

Hi,

I coincidentally found a way to set up a Windows Storage Server 2003 OS (a Windows Server 2003 optimized for NAS-like devices and such). It's actually quite easy.

1) Get a Windows Server 2003 R2 (with SP1) kit. You can download the evaluation kit from Microsoft.

2) Register at http://microsoft.download-ss.com and choose "Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 [...]" as the product to evaluate.

3) You'll get an e-mail that does not contain any download links, but a product key for the Storage Server 2003 OS.

4) Install Windows Server 2003 from your CDs just as you would perform a normal install, but enter the Storage Server 2003 key. The install will proceed and when it's finished and the system reboots...

5) You will be greeted by a Windows Storage Server 2003 splash and login screen.

I just tested that, it really works, I'll maybe post some screenshots here when I find the time.

One question for the mods: Would you mind if I posted the Storage Server 2003 product key here? That'd avoid the necessity to register...

Another thought: On the page above, you can also evaluate a Windows Server 2003 R2 for Embedded Systems OS and all you get is the product key. I haven't tried this yet, but maybe it'll work as well...

Bye and thanks for this forum (I really like betas and that stuff)
empireum

Last edited by empireum on Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Storage Server 2003        Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:11 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Hi,

I coincidentally found a way to set up a Windows Storage Server 2003 OS (a Windows Server 2003 optimized for NAS-like devices and such). It's actually quite easy.

1) Get a Windows Server 2003 R2 (with SP1) kit. You can download the evaluation kit from Microsoft.

2) Register at http://microsoft.download-ss.com and choose "Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 [...]" as the product to evaluate.

3) You'll get an e-mail that does not contain any download links, but a product key for the Storage Server 2003 OS.

4) Install Windows Server 2003 from your CDs just as you would perform a normal install, but enter the Storage Server 2003 key. The install will proceed and when it's finished and the system reboots...

5) You will be greeted by a Windows Storage Server 2003 splash and login screen.

I just tested that, it really works, I'll maybe post some screenshots here when I find the time.

One question for the mods: Would you mind if I posted the Storage Server 2003 product key here? That'd avoid the necessity to register...

Another thought: On the page above, you can also evaluate a Windows Server 2003 R2 for Embedded Systems OS and all you get is the product key. I haven't tried this yet, but maybe it'll work as well...

Bye and thanks for this forum (I really like betas and that stuff)
empireum

I would love to try this out, but for some strange reason every time I try to register for the Server 2003 trial I always get an error... :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:23 am 
Donator

@casablanca: What kind of error do you get?

I have made some screenshots for you to prove this is real. All you need to do is register for a Storage Server 2003 key and enter it when installing Server 2003 R2. Actually, installing R2 is quite interesting...

"About Windows" and a nice new wallpaper

The boot splash screen

The login screen

The Windows Storage Server Management console

First stage of R2 setup

Second stage of R2 setup, interesting stuff going on in the command-line window

Installing R2 for Windows Storage Server

"Windows is starting up"

Have fun!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:26 pm 
FTP Access

Wow, very , very, very, intresting :D There's more to that trial than we thought ;)

The error I get is when I just finish the transaction, and they say "Your oder is processing. Please Wait." After 2 seconds, it redirects me to a page that says, "An error has occured." It doesn't say anything else... :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:27 pm 
FTP Access

Does this use less resources than windows 2003?

I got my key yipeee

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:16 pm 
Donator

@casablanca
I second that. :D I tried the same with a key of Server 2003 for Embedded Systems, it installed just fine with that but I didn't see a "hidden OS" being revealed... But, at least, the Storage Server works and seems to be an interesting OS to play around with...

Sorry for your registration trouble, but I think I still have my registration e-mail with the download link, if you don't mind, I'll send you a PM and hook you up. And all you need then is the Storage Server 2003 key.

@dirtwarrior
Don't know, haven't done any extensive testing on it, yet. Have fun testing! :D

Top  Profile