BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 8d, 3h, 36m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 5797MB of 12273MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:33 am 
FTP Access

It had the old version media player, may not be a problem for some people. IE seemed to not display some pages correctly.
To me a better choice would be windows 2000 or Hougtimo version of XP.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:40 am 
Donator

dirtwarrior wrote:
It had the old version media player, may not be a problem for some people. IE seemed to not display some pages correctly.
To me a better choice would be windows 2000 or Hougtimo version of XP.

I think the Classic Media Player (v6.4 or something like that) is more suitable for older PCs than the newer versions that use more RAM and the like. And for me, the option not to install IE is a very big plus. If IE doesn't work correctly, at least with some pages, I'll use Firefox or Opera instead.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:38 am 
FTP Access

Would it be possible to install a newer Media Player if you wanted to, though? Is there a reason why 10 or 11 for XP won't work on this?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:06 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Not only is it possible to install a new Media Player but I have done it...

The differences between XP and FLP are very small - It is my belief that the only difference is the branding and one or two compiler flags...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:19 pm 
Donator

Okay, the Media Player question is answered, then and this "limitation" doesn't apply. Concerning the differences, I think the main difference between XP and FLP is that XP Home/Pro is a standard Windows OS, whereas FLP is based on Windows XP Embedded, an OS which is actually not meant to run on desktop PCs. So there might be some more differences than just the branding and that stuff.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:41 pm 
FTP Access

The Ram usage in FLP does seem a lot lower than it's possible to go just by tweaking stuff in XP - I got it down to around 60 MB committ on startup in FLP just by installing it and then turning off some services.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:49 pm 
Donator

That sounds really good. I will definately install that on the ThinkPad (PII-266, 128MB RAM) I just got and test it out thoroughly there. Another possibility would be to use the "real" Windows XP Embedded right from the start and then building an image that exactly fits your hardware and your needs. I bet you could go down much further than in XP/FLP, but it wouldn't be easy. I once had an XPe image running in VirtualPC, but just to play around with it, nto for the real work :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:22 pm 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
That sounds really good. I will definately install that on the ThinkPad (PII-266, 128MB RAM) I just got and test it out thoroughly there. Another possibility would be to use the "real" Windows XP Embedded right from the start and then building an image that exactly fits your hardware and your needs. I bet you could go down much further than in XP/FLP, but it wouldn't be easy. I once had an XPe image running in VirtualPC, but just to play around with it, nto for the real work :)

If you can get an embedded small OS to install on a HD would be sweet.Keep us posted

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:29 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
empireum wrote:
I think the main difference between XP and FLP is that XP Home/Pro is a standard Windows OS, whereas FLP is based on

Although that is a good hypothosis, I doubt its veracity... I can install anything on FLP while embeded limits me a lot more...

There are certain ODO things I can not use in FLP which I can use in XPe...

I would assume that Microsoft just added a couple of drivers and changed some registry to make FLP and they did it form XP Pro and not XPe...

Although admitably the differences are minor, steming from a little differnce in the meathods I can use as a programer, the drivers available and finally the boot sequence...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:15 pm 
Donator

dirtwarrior wrote:
If you can get an embedded small OS to install on a HD would be sweet.Keep us posted

Well, as I've already mentioned, I had XP Embedded running in Virtual PC and it was booting from a (virtual) HD. So it shouldn't be that hard to make an XPe image for any other PC. I will try that on my ThinkPad and see how far I can get with it :)

Frozenport wrote:
Although that is a good hypothosis, I doubt its veracity... I can install anything on FLP while embeded limits me a lot more...

There are certain ODO things I can not use in FLP which I can use in XPe...

I would assume that Microsoft just added a couple of drivers and changed some registry to make FLP and they did it form XP Pro and not XPe...

Although admitably the differences are minor, steming from a little differnce in the meathods I can use as a programer, the drivers available and finally the boot sequence...

Look what MS says on http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/sa/benefits/fundamentals.mspx
Quote:
Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs is based on Microsoft Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 2 (SP2) [...]

Top  Profile