BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 15h, 8m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 1988MB of 3063MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: "Resume From Hibernation" screen in XP SP3?!        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:58 pm 
Donator

I've been running a Windows FLP (XP SP2) install for quite some time on one of my boxes and hibernation has been working flawlessly as expected. When I restarted the machine after having hibernated, the screen went black after the BIOS handed over control to NTLDR which then immediately started resuming the system, showing a "Resuming Windows" progress bar or something like that.

This was what it used to be like. Then I installed the SP3 pre-beta (v.3180).

Now, everytime I resume from hibernation, the screen below is displayed for a very very short time (0.5 seconds, often even less, so taking this photo required a considerable amount of attempts and timed usage of the Break key) immediately after NTLDR takes over but before the well-known "Resuming Windows" progress bar appears. It's appearing right between these two stages of the booting process, and as I said, only very very briefly.

Now the question: Has anyone else seen this and does anyone know where this image is to be found? It's not in Ntoskrnl.exe, not hard-coded in NTLDR, etc. I can't find it and this is intriguing me. I've never seen that image before.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:12 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS Classic
it could be a problem in the sp3 beta itself because its a beta. ive used it and never had that orblem.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:11 pm 
Donator

inxsfan92 wrote:
it could be a problem in the sp3 beta itself because its a beta. ive used it and never had that orblem.

I'm not seeing this is a problem, actually. Just as something strange and as something I'm seeing for the first time. I know Vista/2008 has a graphical resume screen, but I've never seen one in previous versions.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
[strike]I'd guess that it's in ntoskrnl.exe. Does the bar-thing move, or is it a stationary graphic?[/strike]

Not in there. I have no idea where that graphic is stored... However, in my adventures, I found that winnt32a.dll still contains a bitmap that says "Microsoft Whistler"... :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:37 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Consider taking a video :P
Then we would know more information about it and you wouldn't have to try multiple times to take the photo...

Maybe it isn't an image? It would be text and effect in xml?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:38 am 
Donator

It's not in Ntoskrnl.exe as I've already written.

Why should I take a video? The photo says it all, doesn't it? I have exactly described when this image appears. And about that XML effect thing, I doubt the PC would be able to deal with that at such an early stage of the boot process. NTLDR is all that's supposed to be running then.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:46 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
I have had this with every copy of XP on my computer. I'm not sure where it is though and what triggers it, because it only happens on my computer, not any others that ive used :? .

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:18 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I have this screen everytime when I resume from hibernation with Win XP and Vista. I don't think that this screen is part of the OS. Could it be that this screen is a part from the BIOS??? (I have a ASRock Mainboard)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:39 am 
Donator

D.Konieczny wrote:
I have this screen everytime when I resume from hibernation with Win XP and Vista. I don't think that this screen is part of the OS. Could it be that this screen is a part from the BIOS??? (I have a ASRock Mainboard)

Interestingly, the box of mine this happens on also has an ASRock motherboard.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:50 am 
FTP Access

Does it also do it if you hibernate another OS eg 2000 or Vista on the same machine then, as that would show whether it's part of the PC or XP. The background, and I think possibly the font too, do look very XP-ish though, thinking of things like the XP OOBE wizard or the Welcome Screen.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:16 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Does it also do it if you hibernate another OS eg 2000 or Vista on the same machine then, as that would show whether it's part of the PC or XP. The background, and I think possibly the font too, do look very XP-ish though, thinking of things like the XP OOBE wizard or the Welcome Screen.

On my machine it works only with XP (and FLP) and Vista. I've tried it with Windows 2000 and nothing happened.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:11 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
BTW, My motherboard is an ASRock Motherboard as well :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:23 am 
Donator

hounsell wrote:
BTW, My motherboard is an ASRock Motherboard as well :D

OK, I guess we're hitting something here. :) Then it's probably just a coincidence I haven't seen this screen prior to installing SP3 and it's due to the board. .

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:16 pm 
Donator

I'm pretty sure Windows 2000 and XP don't use hardware features in order to hibernate. It's possible SP3 made it use BIOS features to resume from hibernation, making this screen appear.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:13 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
It 's happened with me with XP SP2, Server 2003 SP1 and Vista RTM, i don't know about any others.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:07 am 
Donator

hounsell wrote:
It 's happened with me with XP SP2, Server 2003 SP1 and Vista RTM, i don't know about any others.

Then maybe it depends on specific hardware capabilities (and not just the regular suspend-to-disk).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:57 pm 
FTP Access

me too... it's happened with XP SP2! But i don't knok why!!

Top  Profile