BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 1h, 32m | CPU: 58% | MEM: 2104MB of 7617MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Win NT 3.51 Workstation        Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:56 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
Running under VPC2007. Detecting all "hardware" correctly during install,I can even select fullcolour 1024*768 screen and such.

However: How the heck do I get it to understand the internet/networking bit?

Moderator Edit: Thread title fixed to prevent confusion (there's no Windows version 3.51).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:01 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
I think you can do it on this version using the Virtual Machine Additions (Available from the File Menu), though you have to install Windows Installer 2.0 before, i think.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:21 am 
Donator

hounsell wrote:
I think you can do it on this version using the Virtual Machine Additions (Available from the File Menu), though you have to install Windows Installer 2.0 before, i think.

Erm, this is NT 3.51... No additions, no Windows Installer. You have to install the NIC driver (DEC 21140) manually and then add TCP/IP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:41 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
Strange, it got the NIC from the automated setup... I didn't have to do a single thing :strange

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:43 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Thats strange, I seem to remember getting some virtual machine additions working on it... I was using NT3.51 Server :?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:07 am 
Donator

hounsell wrote:
Thats strange, I seem to remember getting some virtual machine additions working on it... I was using NT3.51 Server :?

Maybe you were doing that manually. NT 3.51 doesn't have any version of Windows Installer at least not to my knowledge. It could maybe work up to some extent if you were running a fully updated system, but then it has been a long time since I've run NT 3.51 as main OS, so my memories might not be accurate anymore.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
SO:

Should I use bridged networking, or shared networking?

No matter which one, it seems, refuses to gain the VM an IP adress :/

And I can't ping my router either.... :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:14 am 
Donator

Doctor Mindvipe wrote:
SO:

Should I use bridged networking, or shared networking?

No matter which one, it seems, refuses to gain the VM an IP adress :/

And I can't ping my router either.... :(

Whatever option includes the Virtual Switch option. I believe this is Bridged Networking, bridge it to your main ethernet interface. Are you sure the ethernet "card" is correctly recognized? Do you have DHCP configured?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:09 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
It's identified as DEC 21140, and it says it's working correctly, however, the TCP/IP service fails to start, which to me indicates it doesn't get contact with the router.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:22 pm 
Donator

Doctor Mindvipe wrote:
It's identified as DEC 21140, and it says it's working correctly, however, the TCP/IP service fails to start, which to me indicates it doesn't get contact with the router.

Do you have any service packs installed? And did you add any components after installing the SP? If so, you need to reapply the SP.
To TCP/IP: Is it bound to the correct network adapter and configured to obrtain an address via DHCP?

Okay, I'm replicating this right now with NT 3.51 (no SPs) in Virtual PC. I have it set to shared networking instead of bridged (but this shouldn't make a difference), TCP/IP is installed, DHCP is activated. I set nothing on the DNS or Options page in Control Panel -> Network -> TCP/IP Protocol -> Configure. The VM can get an IP address from the DHCP server (192.168.131.254 in this case). Internet access works once I fill in my ISP's DNS information (you have to do that if you want to surf the net!). So there must be an error in your configuration.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Bridged networking = The virtual machine has his own IP adress.

Shared networking = The virtual machine has the SAME IP adress from the host computer.

Just explaining what the difference is if you don't know.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:56 pm 
Donator

@DjRob
Thanks, but I meant it shouldn't make a difference (or ony a minor) in terms of configuration.

@Dr. Mindvipe
Are you running Vista as host? I read VPC must be run as administrator for NAT to work. Could this be the problem? I'm suspecting it to be a configuration problem within the VM, however. What exactly are your settings? I have it working using the steps described above.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:02 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
Got SP5 installed... only thing installed after, is MSIE4 and Windows Commander 6.51
And thank the Light I don't run Vista.... it's HORRIBLE!!!! IMO ;)

Okays, from the event log:
DHCP failed to renew a lease for the card with network address 0003FFC0280E. The following error occurred: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

Last edited by Doctor Mindvipe on Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:06 pm 
Donator

Doctor Mindvipe wrote:
Got SP5 installed... only thing installed after, is MSIE4 and Windows Commander 6.51

That could be your problem, IE4 could have tinkered with some system files. Re-apply the SP5, please, to ensure consistence among the system files. And use IE5 rather than IE4. :wink: What are your TCP/IP settings? I assume you get an error message telling you TCP/IP failed to start?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:50 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
Okays, I've reinstalled SP5, but to no avail.

I still get "can't start TCP/IP service" at bootup.

I did notice though, in the log,, that it tries to start the server service first.... which fails due to "not enough memory" or "not enough space" ...... any hints as to how much memory/diskspace I should have?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:47 am 
Donator

Doctor Mindvipe wrote:
Okays, I've reinstalled SP5, but to no avail.

I still get "can't start TCP/IP service" at bootup.

I did notice though, in the log,, that it tries to start the server service first.... which fails due to "not enough memory" or "not enough space" ...... any hints as to how much memory/diskspace I should have?

Hmm, if the Server service fails to start with such an error message, the cause might be insufficient memory or disk space, but in most cases I've seen this happening (on NT4, but it should be the same on older versions too) is when a component has been installed from the CD after a service pack has been installed, i.e. there's an inconsistency between system files. But reinstalling the SP should have remedied that problem.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:49 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
hmmm. You think it might be rememdied by more memory than 32MB, or give it a bigger HD? I just set it up with a .5G disk... when NT4 was released, that was among the biggest drives there was, wasn't it?

Top  Profile