BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 12h, 10m | CPU: 4% | MEM: 5704MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: NT4 Beta SP Question        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:21 pm 
Donator

OK so, I've made a PC that I'm going to multi-boot lots of betas with. It's got a big enough hard drive and it's been just lying here for a little while so that's what I've decided to do.

Anyway on to my question, I've installed NT4 Build 1130 for the first beta on the machine. Then I wanted to install Windows Neptune, but it said that NT would be unusable until I install Service Pack 3 or higher on it. Is this actually possible to install a Service Pack for the final on a beta?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:31 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
I believe, in theroy, it will not work.

The SP's are designed to patch RTM releases of windows, so if you attempt to SP a beta, it might work, and update some files to the RTM format, or it will simply refuse.

Mind you, I used logic and common sense to figure that. You should try it anyway.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win2000
NT4 1130 is pretty different from the final. Therefore SP might refuse to install.
Anyway I once tried to install from DOS, Win3.1, WinNT3.x to 2003
That message is somehow just scaring you. I remember that NT3.x is still bootable until I installed Whistler or 2003 (not sure, but definately not Win2000)
You can try just install Neptune and ignore that warning.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:35 pm 
FTP Access

It may be related to the fact that installing Windows 2000 updates all of your NTFS partitions to a newer revision of NTFS that is incompatible with NT3 and older SPs of NT4. Try installing the NT4 beta on a FAT16 partition and then installing Neptune/2000. Don't convert the FAT16 partition to NTFS later though, or when you next boot 2000 I think it will then update the NTFS on that partition to the revision that the older versions of NT can't boot from.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:49 am 
Donator

Correct. The message telling you to install SP3 (sure it's not SP4?) on NT probably refers to the fact that Windows 2000 and newer (including Neptune) update all NTFS partitions to NTFS5 which NT3.x and 4.0 can't deal with unless you install at least NT4 SP4. But if you did that (if it were possible) you'd invalidate the beta state of the OS. So, leave NT4 as it is, just be sure to install it on FAT16, otherwise you'll be staring at a nice BSoD after installing anything newer than NT4. A way out of that is to make NT4 pre-SP4 aware of NTFS5 (before installing NT5 or newer), but I am not sure if this works on NT 3.x as well. To do this, copy the file ntfs40.sys in \i386 from a Windows NT 5.0/2000 CD (don't know if it's on the Neptune CD as well) to \winnt\system32\ntfs.sys of your NT4 install (assimilate path if necessary), overwriting the existing file. NT4's chkdsk still won't be able to perform maintenance on NTFS5 partitions then.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:26 am 
Donator

I'll try not to tamper with the CD because it might cause problems in the future.

I'll try using FAT16.

Top  Profile