BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 13h, 19m | CPU: 5% | MEM: 1937MB of 3423MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Server 2003 "Appliance Edition"        Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:45 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
I just wondered if anyone knows anything about this? i cant find much on the internet, and there's no reference to it in wikipedia. even wierder, is i found this image in a Vista RTM branding file.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:38 am 
Donator

This is a locked down version of Server 2003 Standard or Enterprise; meant to run on devices that only do one thing, like web serving or file serving, these are managed via a web interface and usually have no local console. A bit similar to Windows Powered NAS, although its successor (for NAS devices) is Windows Storage Server 2003.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:04 am 
FTP Access

@empireum : you have for anything a screenshot :lol:

@Appliance Edt. : There are no resources in the normal Version of the Enterprise Server ( like the Logos ). Run this OS ( Kit ) with an other addon Setup ( wich shown on the screenshot ) ? If yes - how big is this Kit ? Or do this setup only add the Logos and lock the big stuff of win2003 via Reg entrys ?

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:42 am 
Donator

Quote:
@empireum : you have for anything a screenshot Laughing

Of almost everything I have, yes. :wink: A picture says more than 1000 words :)

Quote:
@Appliance Edt. : There are no resources in the normal Version of the Enterprise Server ( like the Logos ). Run this OS ( Kit ) with an other addon Setup ( wich shown on the screenshot ) ? If yes - how big is this Kit ? Or do this setup only add the Logos and lock the big stuff of win2003 via Reg entrys ?

Hmm, I think the resources are present in Server 2003 SP1 or newer, but I can't remember in which file. msgina.dll and/or winbrand.dll seem to be good candidates. The "Appliance mode" is activated with the Server Appliance Kit 3.0 which is ~7MB (zipped install file) The kit changes the branding and locks down the OS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:48 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
i found the image i posted in the vista winbrand.dll, so i should think its in there in server

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:50 am 
FTP Access

You're right - not in msgina - but in winbrand.dll, also this funny Edition . . . :

. . . ah mean " freestyle " Edt. :)

@hounsell : Microsofts Code Chaos - in Server 2003 are the XP Resources and in Vista the Windows Server 2003 Resources. In Windows XP there are Whistler Server ( aka Windows Server 2003 ) Resources :roll:

Last edited by Rhade™ on Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
yeah, in vista theres tablet pc edition too. freestyle was the codename for media center edition.

@Rhade
I think this stems from microsofts policy to build their next OS on the newest code base. this is why longhorn started of from xp code, but at the rebuild, where 5xxx builds start, its actually descended from server 2003

Top  Profile  WWW