BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 16h, 41m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 6630MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:08 pm 
Donator

ppc_digger wrote:
Luckie wrote:
Code:
// Try calling GetVersionEx using the OSVERSIONINFOEX structure.
  // If that fails, try using the OSVERSIONINFO structure.
  ZeroMemory(@osvi,sizeof(TOSVersionInfo));
  osvi.dwOSVersionInfoSize := sizeof(TOSVersionInfo);

bOsVersionInfoEx := GetVersionEx(osvi);
  if(not bOsVersionInfoEx) then begin
    osvi.dwOSVersionInfoSize := VERSIONINFOSIZE;

if(not GetVersionEx(osvi)) then begin
      Result := 'Fehler bei der Ermittlung der Windows-Version';
      exit;
    end;
  end;

What language is that? It looks like a hybrid between Pascal and REXX.

This is Delphi!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:48 am 
FTP Access

betamaster wrote:
empireum wrote:
Please think before you type, okay? :wink:
OK. I edit kernel32.dll and user32.dll version and i not have change in sysdm.cpl I try to edit sysdm.cpl

Given that you struggled to find those files, I wonder if you know about Windows File Protection? :P

WFP will automatically replace those system files after you have edited them. Maybe you edited them, only to have Windows replace them with the proper versions. As for how to get around WFP... google is your friend. ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:28 am 
FTP Access

rawr wrote:
As for how to get around WFP... google is your friend. ;)

Just delete the copies of the file you are trying to replace from c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386, c:\windows\system32\dllcache (need hiden files showing to see that one) and c:\i386 (not all of those locations may exist on your PC, and the file you are replacing them may not be in them). If you have unsuccessfully tried replacing the file before, there may also be a copy at c:\windows\lastgood.

Then rename the actual file you are replacing to by changing the filename extension to .old or whatever - you only need to do this if it's something like shell32.dll that is "in use" when Windows is running and so you can't overwrite it or change any part of the name except the extension. With sysdm.cpl you wouldn't need to do this.

Then cancel the SFP (system file protection) dialog that pops up, and then save the file.

A lot of people say you need to mess around with silly utilities both for getting around SFP and also for replacing "in use" files, but actually you don't need these; it's easier to do it the way I use.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:34 am 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
A lot of people say you need to mess around with silly utilities both for getting around SFP and also for replacing "in use" files, but actually you don't need these; it's easier to do it the way I use.

That's pretty informative, thanks. Out of interest, what is it that you do so that you need to get around WFP to the extent that you figured all this out? It sounds like it could be fun whatever it is... 8)

I've only wanted to replace notepad with another program (metapad), so that I didn't have to change all the file associations to notepad. That could probably have been handled through a search and replace in the registry, but there are also a couple of programs that have notepad.exe as a default that I didn't want to bother having to change.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:49 am 
FTP Access

rawr wrote:
That's pretty informative, thanks. Out of interest, what is it that you do so that you need to get around WFP to the extent that you figured all this out? It sounds like it could be fun whatever it is... 8)

Yeah, I'm guessing my idea of "fun" is rather different to most people's - a quiet night in with the Windows system files :lol: Nothing insanely cool, I don't know enough about this stuff to be able to do that, the main things I've mucked around with include:

-Explorer.exe: Changing the menu items in the Classic Start Menu, the image on the left of the Classic Start Menu (where it has the name of the Windows you're using them), the icon at the bottom of an Explorer window next to where it says "My Computer".
-Shell32.exe and other files eg the ones storing the icons for the Control Panel items: replaced all the ugly XP icons with a mix of Vista and OS X ones, and replaced all the icons on the Windows Explorer toolbar (Back, Forward, Search, Views etc) with Vista-esque ones.
-Sysdm.cpl: replaced the image with the XP logo on the general tab with a bigger one with a Vista-ish Windows logo and a big version of the Computer icon from Vista.
-Comdlg32.dll: tweaked the layout of a couple of the common dialogs.
-MsStyles files (c:\windows\resources\themes): customised some uxtheme visual styles, eg improved some of the Vista themes that are around, and made a visual style that's kind of my own using bits from lots of different visual styles.

Probably a few things I've forgotten too.

rawr wrote:
I've only wanted to replace notepad with another program (metapad), so that I didn't have to change all the file associations to notepad. That could probably have been handled through a search and replace in the registry, but there are also a couple of programs that have notepad.exe as a default that I didn't want to bother having to change.

Yep, just replace notepad.exe with the other app that you want to use, that should work, as long as you remove all the backups (or overwrite them with your new app) first.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:05 am 
FTP Access

yeah, I assume that the system file was complied in NT 3.x then Microsoft updated it through NT4/2K/XP. I guess it changed dramatically in Vista since it is based off a new kernel, rather than XP. I am not sure, but I am interested in this file.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:16 am 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Yeah, I'm guessing my idea of "fun" is rather different to most people's - a quiet night in with the Windows system files :lol: Nothing insanely cool, I don't know enough about this stuff to be able to do that, the main things I've mucked around with include:

Actually that's given me some ideas :D

I like a very minimal system but one problem I still have is the 10+ system tray icons I end up having. One thing I could do is go replace all the boring stuff that I nevertheless want to keep in there with grayscale icons (e.g. volume, network connections, firewall, safely remove hardware, etc.). That will make them much less distracting. After that... well who knows :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:32 am 
FTP Access

10 icons? That's a lot - I only have 5 (volume, safely remove hardware, power, ethernet, wifi) - I like to keep background processes to an absolute minimum :) You can of course replace those icons, as long as you can find what files they are in. Those are slightly harder to find - of course when you want to know what system file contains any icon that is displayed in an Explorer window eg the icon for one of the control panels, just make a shortcut to it and then check in the Change Icon bit of the shortcut's properties for the system file that it is coming from. In Vista they've simplified a lot of the default tray icons actually, most of them just being just plain white.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:07 am 
FTP Access

Emule
MSN
Dialup
Wordweb
KeyPass
2 keynote files where I keep notes; 1 each for personal & business stuff
RSS reader
various stuff that i start/stop

plus the other stuff i mentioned :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:30 am 

rawr wrote:
betamaster wrote:
empireum wrote:
Please think before you type, okay? :wink:
OK. I edit kernel32.dll and user32.dll version and i not have change in sysdm.cpl I try to edit sysdm.cpl

Given that you struggled to find those files, I wonder if you know about Windows File Protection? :P

WFP will automatically replace those system files after you have edited them. Maybe you edited them, only to have Windows replace them with the proper versions. As for how to get around WFP... google is your friend. ;)
I know, but i edit this files from XP :P

Top  Profile