BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 8d, 14h, 33m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 6669MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:14 am 
FTP Access

Ludacris wrote:
This confuses me a little bit:
Quote:
You have to take a WinPE image, make and prepare a WIM image of a done XP install and apply that to your partition. Do the hardware detection bit, and you're set

Oh, and with help, i thought about translating the english parts.

I dunno if this is the reason you're confused, but I can't quite get this either... I mean, XP's install does all the h/w detection... so... if you change the hardware (by installing to a new machine, since it's already been installed once to get the WIM) isn't it gonna go nuts about being on different hardware?

Without the whole WGA/activation thing, the 9x line was fairly easy to move to another machine, then you'd just change a load of drivers and you'd have a good install... is that roughly how this would work?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:12 am 
Donator

Hmm... I believe the WIM-based install is done like that: The OS image that gets deployed to the HD has been "sysprepped", that means, all hardware drivers have been removed and its thus hardware-independent. When installing the OS, the image is (1) deployed to the target system/partition and (2) in the next step, the setup does a hardware detection and adds all the necessary drivers. At least this is how I believe it's done on Windows FLP and maybe Vista/Longhorn Server. On FLP, you have the step "Copying OS image to partition", and then, there is this step "Installing PnP drivers". And when FLP is installed, it'll run the First Boot Agent doing some new tinkering. And the Windows Activation thing wouldn't be armed until the hardware detection is completely done – and on FLP, there is no activation... :)

Last edited by empireum on Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:30 pm 
thanks for your helps guys ;)

can you plz post some wallpapers for the PE? i dont like the tree from 4093 but i dont know what i should take...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:25 am 
FTP Access

Thanks for that empireum :)

Namronia - doesn't PE just have the standard blue Windows 2000-esque background? :/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:31 am 
Donator

moonlit wrote:
Thanks for that empireum :)

Namronia - doesn't PE just have the standard blue Windows 2000-esque background? :/

He uses the PE from Longhorn 4093 and I believe that's where the wallpaper is from.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:43 am 
yep, the "ugly" tree :D :D :D

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:53 am 
Donator

Namronia wrote:
yep, the "ugly" tree :D :D :D

Well, I don't consider that ugly actually, I like such wallpapers, but... what type of wallpaper do you want?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:33 am 
FTP Access

Ooh, I'd be intersted in seeing that too then, don't remember such a wallpaper. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:47 am 
Donator

moonlit wrote:
Ooh, I'd be intersted in seeing that too then, don't remember such a wallpaper. :)

The Longhorn 4093 one? Here it is:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:53 am 
FTP Access

Cool, thanks, I definitely hadn't seen that before. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:04 pm 
i need something like "XP MCE PE"

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:43 am 
Donator

What do you excactly mean? Do you mean a background?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:55 am 
yep

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:29 pm 
i restarted the project cause i had to many probs with formatting hd. now the install is basing on Windows Home Server, it works much better
i know the text based mode is coming again, but thats no problem, there you have to enter nothing
here, some screens:

format the hd:

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/5920/formatdg9.png

the install of XP:

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/2828/normna1.png

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:46 pm 
Donator

That's expected to work better based on the WHS install, because it has a graphical partitioning and formatting routine built in. Only downside to this method is that it requires a) ACPI and b) at least 512MB of RAM if using the default WinPE image.

Looking at the screens, I see it shows the WinPE/Aurora background and the WinXP setup screens laid on top of that, was it that way by default or did you do something to the setup (change the background or whatever)? I ask because when installing the original WHS, the grey Server 2003 background is laid on top of the WinPE background image and that's not visible anymore... That's to be expected because all the WHS setup basically does is booting into a GUI, partitioning & formatting the HD & then it launches the bog standard Windows Setup, that's why you have the text mode and everything.

PS: Please use the forum image uploader, ditch ImageShack for posting pictures here... :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:03 pm 
yes, i edit winntbbu.dll, but its not finished now, you see the "WINDOWS XP" overlay

oh, the board uploader... sorry, i forget

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:07 pm 
Donator

Namronia wrote:
yes, i edit winntbbu.dll, but its not finished now, you see the "WINDOWS XP" overlay

Ah, that's what I thought, too. Now to fix that WindowsXP part of the picture...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:34 pm 
yep, heres a screeny of the first start, i have to remove this "Windows Home Server is installing" with the grey background and so on. but if you click away the errors, itll work!

now ive got a big problem with the serial, after changing pidgen.dll from the XP folder he says he cant test the key, now he can ONLY use Windows Home server keys

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:43 pm 
Donator

Quote:
now ive got a big problem with the serial, after changing pidgen.dll from the XP folder he says he cant test the key, now he can ONLY use Windows Home server keys

What? I don't quite get that. You used an (in this context) unmodified source tree of XP to do the install, right? The WHS install is just used to boot & run the setup on top of – how can that interfere with the key the system accepts? I can only think of a post-install process that might mess with the according files...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:47 pm 
can you please send me a pm in german? i dont understand :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:50 pm 
Donator

Namronia wrote:
can you please send me a pm in german? i dont understand :oops: :oops: :oops:

No problem :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:15 am 
FTP Access

So from what I'm understanding you're replacing all of the files in the SVR_2003 folder with ones from an XP MCE 2005 CD?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:20 am 
Donator

TheWahbinator wrote:
So from what I'm understanding you're replacing all of the files in the SVR_2003 folder with ones from an XP MCE 2005 CD?

Yep, that's what he does.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:36 pm 
TheWahbinator wrote:

yes, exactly that i did. but now the problem with the cd key, he does only accept keys from home server and if i change the pidgen.dll i get an error

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:47 pm 
Donator

Namronia wrote:

yes, exactly that i did. but now the problem with the cd key, he does only accept keys from home server and if i change the pidgen.dll i get an error

So you have the disc booting WinPE from a WIM file then loading Windows Setup... so the Windows install program might be trying to generate a PID, but its using the pidgen.dll in the \Windows\system32 in the WIM file instead of the pidgen.dll in the setup files? Is that maybe a possibility? :?

Top  Profile