Windows 98 Beta

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
ewan275
FTP Access

Windows 98 Beta

Post by ewan275 »

I had a Windows 98 Beta CD, I installed it and found loads of neat things on it, I found a utility that allowed you to remove all the IE crap from Windows 98, unfortuatly that never made it into the final version. Wounder if that is what 98 lite is based on.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Could you upload it to the FTP for us?

ewan275
FTP Access

Post by ewan275 »

Ill try, but the prob is that the CD was a copy and it was one of the early CD-Rs and now nothing works on it i dont even think it registres under windows no more. I can find something very similar IEOFF but thats it. Talking of IELESS windows, I have found that IEXPLORE.EXE can be safely deleated from NT4, and all the Outlook and MS Works works fine.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

I don't see why it shouldnt work. CD technology hasnt really changed except for the introduction of DVD etc. It may just be the disk or the drive.

ewan275
FTP Access

Post by ewan275 »

Erm, I do believe it is aucually an Alpha, cos it had a 1996 date stamp on the WIN.COM and I think its 90% win95.

Listen mate, Ill try and find the version I used, it didnt even have the anti piracy crap, the serial was all 1s !!!!!!!!!!

dirtwarrior
FTP Access

Post by dirtwarrior »

Sounds like a good version especially if using a different browser besides IE.

expert01
FTP Access

Post by expert01 »

The CD's do break down after a time. I would buy a DVD drive that you can open up and adjust the laser intensity, this should let you read it.

ewan275
FTP Access

Post by ewan275 »

I cant I only have a laptop, and the cd is falling apart, I have had to bin it!

tpemail
FTP Access

Post by tpemail »

How about borrow a DVD burner from other people around you?
btw could you check the version string of the setup.exe?

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

ewan275 wrote:I cant I only have a laptop, and the cd is falling apart, I have had to bin it!
you didn't have to!

ewan275
FTP Access

Post by ewan275 »

Well the label was off, and the aucuall foily stff blow the plastic (the stuff with the data) became torn, I aint a forensic data recovery expert!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I remember the setup was a version of nn 95's one, not the one with all the imformation with regards to file copy on the left hand side of the screen. I think it was Feb 97 if I remember corrently

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

I had a disk once with a crack all the way from the outside of the disk to the inside of the disk, and you could actually bend it away from the two pieces. I put it back to how it should look, stuck it in my laptop and I was so happy it read the disk properly. It had my digital camera drivers on it and it was so old you can't get them on the web. Once I had them and tested them, I backed them up 4 more times!!! and then I threw the cd out. Id rather not have a cd explode in the drive.

ewan275
FTP Access

Post by ewan275 »

Well It serves me right for using a botched CD

mtttt

Post by mtttt »

Windows Memphis is the codename of Win 98 Beta or?

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Yes, it is/was.

benny1091
FTP Access

Windows 98 Beta

Post by benny1091 »

I remembered Windows 98 Beta. I ran it on al old Dell OptiPlex, and It crashed it a few times. No matter wut i did, it would always crash after showing the bootscreen(i had a later build), and the funny thing is Microsoft told me it was expected, because Dell had sumthin programmed into the BIOS that caused the crash. It was an older optiplex, so i just threw out the MS Beta CD. I realize today that i shouldnt have, bcuz I had different betas on there, like I had a box set of programs including BOB. Microsoft used to be generous with their betas, but now theyre strict as hell. Vista sucks btw. Ill stick with Windows 3.1 With Calmira XP. lol, thats how bad i think Windows Is. Maybe ill upgrade to chicago on that optiplex- once i can get sum access to the public/private servers

betaistheway

Post by betaistheway »

I had the beta of Windows 98, it crashed on my old Fujitsu ICL PC so I went back to Windows 95. Sadly I have seemed to misplaced the CD