BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 53d, 17h, 6m | CPU: 90% | MEM: 5786MB of 10622MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Chicago build 122 - version number confusion        Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:02 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 5.1 / 6.1

winver in chicago build 122 says 3.95 rather than 4.0. Maybe i'm just overlooking something, but any suggestions as to why this is?
Screenshot was taken in failsafe mode. Interesting that got renamed to just 'safe mode', too.

embarassingly enough i thought neowin was this place, so this is a crosspost. i'm sorry. :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Chicago build 122 - version number confusion        Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:43 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
The 16-bit winver program identifies all 32-bit versions of Windows as version '3.95.'

Remember it's the exact same program as it was in Windows 3.0 to Windows FWG 3.11.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Chicago build 122 - version number confusion        Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:50 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
..but in earlier builds it does show Windows 4.0. Wonder when it was changed ?

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Chicago build 122 - version number confusion        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:35 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 5.1 / 6.1
The Distractor wrote:
..but in earlier builds it does show Windows 4.0. Wonder when it was changed ?

which earlier builds show that?

I just tried to do the same thing with 58s.. command.com shows Microsoft(R) Chicago Version 4.00 but there's no winver included with my copy, and going Help > About in explorer just shows the logo. For the life of me i can't get my virtual floppy drive to read in 58s to copy over the winver from 122.

Anyways, the winver from 122 shows "3.95" in my native XP, so marktuson is probably right.

EDIT: I got winver copied onto build 58s, and it shows 4.0 after all. So either that means something weird is going on, or 58s is really just 16-bit perhaps?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Chicago build 122 - version number confusion        Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:15 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Well, we know that Chicago started its life as a build of WfWG which included a Win32s-like 32bit subsystem, and I believe that the 5x builds are just this with the new shell and window metrics (and more buggy drivers). So maybe its possible that Chicago 5x are programmed to report the version as 4.00 to winver, but the later builds don't report a version number at all... or maybe, it's for the '95' in the name?

Top  Profile