BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 0h, 35m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 5661MB of 11102MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:26 pm 
Donator

A couple of these are on eBay.de right now (just the sticker, no media). I've never seen them before but I can imagine they are to be used with regular install media, just imply different licensing terms.
Does anyone know more?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:01 pm 
in my old job , we had many of those :P

PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:36 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
What is the difference between the embedded and regular versions?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:50 pm 
Donator

In that case, just different licensing terms I assume as I've already pointed out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:02 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Yea - I had some1 ask me about these before. I just headed over to Jimmy from the sales dept. I still worked for MS back then...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:43 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
motherboardlove wrote:
Yea - I had some1 ask me about these before. I just headed over to Jimmy from the sales dept. I still worked for MS back then...

Can you stop persistently saying that you worked for Microsoft, I have seen more of a percentage of your posts saying that you have worked for Microsoft, and yet, you provide no answer to the questions that are asked.

Your stories are beginning to sound more and more unbelievable by every post:

You ask what the "google bot" is...and yet you own several $10thousand super servers with 128GB of ram, run a ecommence site making money, and yet don't know what it is, and to top it off...you worked for Microsoft.

You have all these "unleaked" builds, but cant say anything because...you worked for Microsoft (I'm pretty sure you can't say anything about them regardless in the first place).

I could point out more, but the fact is, just please stop saying with near every post that you worked for them, it doesn't bring you any recognition, especially when you don't help those who have a question but you inject that line anyways.

Edit: I sincerely apologize to empireum for hijacking his thread.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:37 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
@alexsis: You hit the nail on the head... exactly what I am thinking (and I think a lot of other ppl here)...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:56 pm 
Donator

Agreed, and whatever your occupation was/is, it does not make your opinions and thoughts any more or less relevant than anyone else on this forum.

Back on topic: I have to admit I'm a little confused by the use of the word "Embedded"
I thought the only Embedded versions of Windows were Windows NT4 Embedded, Windows CE and Windows XP Embedded...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:00 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
I'm not quite 100% sure on this, but from the tid-bits of information around, it would seem that this was Windows 98 Embedded was actually introduced into Australia, I'm saying that because of the references to people using it in Australia.

From what I understand, Microsoft never actually "supported" the Operating per-say, it was a mere reduced footprint of the Operating System, I can't find a proper full site reference to it (as my net/VPN keeps cycling badly), but here is a reference to it from a manual/recovery I hunted up:

http://www.directouchpos.com/products/d ... tp5000.pdf

"For the Jiva EL (TP5815) models preloaded with Windows XP embedded or
Windows 98 embedded on HDD, Posiflex provides recovery CD delivered with the
touch terminal for the preloaded operating system. The System Integrator shall take
care of software restoration after OS recovered.
"

I wish I could of provided more help on the issue.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:25 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I'm not sure, but it seems that this isn't another edition of Windows 98;
I think this is an ususal Windows 98 with a license for embedded machines...

The only Windows 98 Embedded I could find is some custom made, stripped
down Win98...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:32 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
Daniel wrote:
I'm not sure, but it seems that this isn't another edition of Windows 98;
I think this is an ususal Windows 98 with a license for embedded machines...

I'll be thinking that you're quite right on that.

It'd be similar to what Windows 3.x was...the consumer model support ended decade ago, but they still supported it on POS/Entertainment systems and etc up until this year.

It probably isn't a different Edition, but I think from what I've read that they have taken out/reduced the foot print just for reduction on POS machines and etc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:54 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Alexsis wrote:
motherboardlove wrote:

Can you stop persistently saying that you worked for Microsoft, I have seen more of a percentage of your posts saying that you have worked for Microsoft, and yet, you provide no answer to the questions that are asked.

Your stories are beginning to sound more and more unbelievable by every post:

You ask what the "google bot" is...and yet you own several $10thousand super servers with 128GB of ram, run a ecommence site making money, and yet don't know what it is, and to top it off...you worked for Microsoft.

You have all these "unleaked" builds, but cant say anything because...you worked for Microsoft (I'm pretty sure you can't say anything about them regardless in the first place).

I could point out more, but the fact is, just please stop saying with near every post that you worked for them, it doesn't bring you any recognition, especially when you don't help those who have a question but you inject that line anyways.

Edit: I sincerely apologize to empireum for hijacking his thread.

MY site is private, and there is no way a bot can sift throught, because all forums are encrypted and require an access password, and I don't my years of hard work ending up of google a few minutes after. Anyways, I did not want a domain, so it would be more secret. Its a private server for me and my friends, and we can talk about things. I don't like it when google comes and sifts throught my personal talks.

Thats why only my computer, my friends, and a special group of people are only allowed, and you are allowed by your MAC address combined with your access password and your name.

My E-Commerce site is managed by someone else, but i own it and pay for it.

And I KNOW MS wouldnt be happy if I spilled out all of these unleaked builds. I only leak builds that are publicly availibe, because then I'm not the original leaker, and I'm less likely to get in trouble.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:27 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
motherboardlove wrote:
And I KNOW MS wouldnt be happy if I spilled out all of these unleaked builds. I only leak builds that are publicly availibe, because then I'm not the original leaker, and I'm less likely to get in trouble.

Don't believe I said anything about leaking any builds at all, I do however remember writing about discussing things about them, but I never said anything about leaking them.

I have several things that other people don't have, but if a topic came up with people requesting information on the here-for mentioned "things", I would provide them with the information if I can, it doesn't require the "leaking" of a build to help out on discussions and information.

I know of several people from the Vista Development team who worked on the Sidebar and other related pieces of Vista that would regually come onto forums and discuss and help people with the code that they have written to get gadgets and other little things to work.

One of those people were a lead Manager on the Sidebar (Bruce if my memory serves correct), and during the Beta of Vista, he came onto AeroXP and helped out so much and addressed everyone who had an issue or request and helped them as much as he could with Sidebar related Gadget coding that people made.

It doesn't require you to leak something to get recognition (if you want more then 15minutes of fame), it requires you to help people with their problems instead of thinking that you're the best thing ever because you worked at Microsoft.

If you have nothing to say, then don't say it; Don't mention with Posts that you worked for Microsoft if you are not going to be helpful and address a problem, if you do, it only leads to people rolling their eyes with when seeing one of your posts, even if it does include helpful information.

Just tone it down, that is all you need to do.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:58 am 
Donator

Once again, Isaac hit the nail on the head...

I saw that stripped down version of 98 too, skipped it though, didn't strike me as the kind of thing Microsoft would be selling licenses for...

Strange, no search results on the Microsoft, Technet or MSDN sites either.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:23 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Alexsis wrote:
motherboardlove wrote:

Don't believe I said anything about leaking any builds at all, I do however remember writing about discussing things about them, but I never said anything about leaking them.

I have several things that other people don't have, but if a topic came up with people requesting information on the here-for mentioned "things", I would provide them with the information if I can, it doesn't require the "leaking" of a build to help out on discussions and information.

I know of several people from the Vista Development team who worked on the Sidebar and other related pieces of Vista that would regually come onto forums and discuss and help people with the code that they have written to get gadgets and other little things to work.

One of those people were a lead Manager on the Sidebar (Bruce if my memory serves correct), and during the Beta of Vista, he came onto AeroXP and helped out so much and addressed everyone who had an issue or request and helped them as much as he could with Sidebar related Gadget coding that people made.

It doesn't require you to leak something to get recognition (if you want more then 15minutes of fame), it requires you to help people with their problems instead of thinking that you're the best thing ever because you worked at Microsoft.

If you have nothing to say, then don't say it; Don't mention with Posts that you worked for Microsoft if you are not going to be helpful and address a problem, if you do, it only leads to people rolling their eyes with when seeing one of your posts, even if it does include helpful information.

Just tone it down, that is all you need to do.

"Just tone it down, that is all you need to do."

Maybe I love my former job too much, but when I worked for Microsoft, they didnt even want people to know the build existed, much less have screenshots. Why? because when you see how sucky some of the builds are, you might not want to buy the OS, because of the bad impression you got from the beta, when the RTM is perfectly bug-free, so now, they have a bunch a people who don;t want to buy anymore, just because a former Microsoft Employee still has some friends that pass on builds to him. How nice of that person.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:38 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
motherboardlove wrote:

Maybe I love my former job too much, but when I worked for Microsoft, they didnt even want people to know the build existed, much less have screenshots. Why? because when you see how sucky some of the builds are, you might not want to buy the OS, because of the bad impression you got from the beta, when the RTM is perfectly bug-free, so now, they have a bunch a people who don;t want to buy anymore, just because a former Microsoft Employee still has some friends that pass on builds to him. How nice of that person.

What you posted has no relevance at all to what I had just written out.

I know the cycle of how information passing and leaking of screenshots can damage a reputation to a product, I am not as young as you may think I am, I may not of "worked" at Microsoft, but from former jobs, I know the process all too well.

I did not say about leaking, I said discussions and helpful information that may help people out with their problems.

You can love your previous job as much as you like, but that doesn't mean you come into a topic and say something like "Yeah I know, but because I worked for Microsoft, I can't say anything", that doesn't help anyone out, and just makes people distance themselves more from you for adding in something that has no relevance of meaning to the topic at hand.

As of now, their can be no damage to any former operating systems from discussing and passing information, Vista is done, XP is done, Windows 9x is done, so it doesn't concern much for helping people out.

Products can be very easily damaged from people giving false information while an active product is in development, but as of now, that time as long since passed and we don't still live in the 90s.

Last edited by IsaacD on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:48 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Alexsis wrote:
motherboardlove wrote:

What you posted has no revelence at all to what I had just written out.

I know the cycle of how information passing and leaking of screenshots can damage a reputation to a product, I am not as young as you may think I am, I may not of "worked" at Microsoft, but from former jobs, I know the process all too well.

I did not say about leaking, I said discussions and helpful information that may help people out with their problems.

You can love your previous job as much as you like, but that doesn't mean you come into a topic and say something like "Yeah I know, but because I worked for Microsoft, I can't say anything", that doesn't help anyone out, and just makes people distance themselves more from you for adding in something that has no revelence of meaning to the topic at hand.

As of now, their can be no damage to any former operating systems from discussing and passing information, Vista is done, XP is done, Windows 9x is done, so it doesn't concern much for helping people out.

Products can be very easily damaged from people giving false information while an active product is in development, but as of now, that time as long since passed and we don't still live in the 90s.

Yes, being a Microsoft employee doesnt make it so I can't leak stuff like normal people. ITs just that I cant leak things that I got at my job. I never needed public betas, because I had it all. So, I dont know which ones where released publicly.

If you tell me ANY builds that were publicly released, but are not on BA, I'd be happy to share info about them.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:09 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
motherboardlove wrote:
Yes, being a Microsoft employee doesnt make it so I can't leak stuff like normal people. ITs just that I cant leak things that I got at my job. I never needed public betas, because I had it all. So, I dont know which ones where released publicly.

If you tell me ANY builds that were publicly released, but are not on BA, I'd be happy to share info about them.

Righty-O! :)

Note: If my posts sounded offensive, that wasn't the intention of them if you felt that they were, I'm used to being blunt and right to the topic, if this was several years earlier...let's just say it wouldn't be pretty :P lol.

(On another note, I worked in the Security field and in the Medical Field and have seen first hand what happens when leaks happen, not software development or anything like that, Beta Testing was just a hobby.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:09 pm 
FTP Access

Could you now stop with fighting? Let's get back on topic!

ONTOPIC: Well, I have seen these stickers back in 2007 when I was searching for some build of Memphis that was unleaked. I am sure somebody will have more information about these stickers!

(i even want more info lol)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:57 pm 
This sounds very interesting, i've never heard of 98 Embedded (CE and XP yeah, who hasn't?).

Was this 'Embedded 98SE' as reliable / more reliable than the stock Win98 build?

PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
anet wrote:
This sounds very interesting, i've never heard of 98 Embedded (CE and XP yeah, who hasn't?).

Was this 'Embedded 98SE' as reliable / more reliable than the stock Win98 build?

Read the posts - "Windows 98 Second Edition, Embedded Licensing" (Yep, thats the full name) is just different licensing terms - its like the same as the XP Embedded License Agreement.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Win98SE Embedded license        Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:26 am 
Donator

Its strange that there is little to no record of a "Windows 98 SE Embedded"
empireum, any chance you could e-mail the seller and ask for a little background info as to where this came from?

Top  Profile