BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 11h, 14m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 6390MB of 11256MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows Millennium Beta 1 timebomb help        Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:29 am 
Hello! I am a newbie in collecting Windows beta versions. I have just installed Windows Millennium Beta 1 (Build 2380). Is there a way to remove the timebomb?

I have serached many places but still cannot find a way to do so. I appreciate the method of setting the date back but I really want it to work completely without the timebomb. I know there are a lot of beta collectors here who are like me, wanting to get such old beta versions which have great value in the windows history working. Nowadays, there isn't much information about these beta versions of windows available. I really want to have them running to tell more people about the history.

So, can anyone help me, please? Thanks in advance.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:42 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
For those older builds I think the best thing to do it setting your date back.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:55 am 
DjRob wrote:
For those older builds I think the best thing to do it setting your date back.

DjRob, thanks so much for your reply. I have been sitting beside my computer waiting for warmhearted people like you.

Well, as for as I know, for Windows 95 and 98 beta versions, there is a way to do so without setting the date back. It is something to do with sys.com under MS-DOS but that doesn't work for Windows Me. I am just thinking if there are similar ways to do so. Perhaps the way to do with Windows 95 and 98 also works with Windows Me; it just requires some additional tricks. But, can anyone tell me how?

Once again, DjRob, thanks for your reply.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:15 pm 
Donator

Unless your stuck in a position where your forced to use this build as a main OS, I don't really get why you need to worry about the time bomb.
Also, you might wanna lay off the bold, we get it, your using your outside voice.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:54 pm 
jabster wrote:
Unless your stuck in a position where your forced to use this build as a main OS, I don't really get why you need to worry about the time bomb.
Also, you might wanna lay off the bold, we get it, your using your outside voice.

I am not forced to use this build as a main OS but I just want it to run without the time bomb like many others do for other windows beta versions. I have read posts written by experts here in the sites who are able to solve time bomb problems for other beta versions. I hope they can offer help for me too.

I used the bold just to save readers' time so that they can quickly get the idea of what I am asking for without reading the whole paragraphs in case they don't have that much time. Since you don't like it, I have stopped to use it now.

Let me repeat, I just want to have Windows Millenium Beta 1 running without the time bomb for my own interest. But, I would be grateful if anyone can help me with that. Thanks!

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:12 pm 
I've uploaded 2332, 2348 & 2380 with the timebombs removed, over the last few months,
surely they've made their way the the BA ftp by now, 2380 I patched more than 3 years
ago...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:11 pm 
FTP Access

It seems to me that the timebomb in NT based versions of Windows like 2000, XP, Longhorn builds seems easier to evade than the one in the Windows 9x/ME betas....

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:58 am 
squidward_ wrote:
It seems to me that the timebomb in NT based versions of Windows like 2000, XP, Longhorn builds seems easier to evade than the one in the Windows 9x/ME betas....

Yeah! It's funny. I would say its because many beta testers are more keen on NT based versions of Windows for professional software testing. So, there are more people spending more time trying to evade the timebombs in them. As for Windows 9x/ME betas, these versions of Windows are mainly for home use and are less welcomed by the business software testers. So, not many people are interested in evading the timebombs in them.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:06 pm 
FTP Access

I mean with NT based Windows, all you would have to do is load setupreg.hiv into the registry and overwrite a certain value with lots of 0000, and tadah! No more timebomb!

BTW, I know I keep saying this, but because the current leaked Windows 7 build is getting rather popular, I am suprised that few people know how to crack the timebomb. :(

I bet the situation used to be the same wih NT based Windows, and they didn't know a thing about how the setupreg.hiv worked!

Top  Profile  WWW