BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 49d, 2h, 13m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 6250MB of 11063MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Chicago 56 on TI Extensa 355        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:30 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I'm been trying to get it to work using a standard hardware setup, and it's just not happening. I had it set up with no network, touchpad mouse (it saw PS/2, no problems), and 800*600 SVGA monitor. It worked for a moment, and then broke, and I can't get it to work properly at all.

I'm doing a step-by-step boot, I'm getting back a load of blurt that himem.sys, setver.exe, display.sys, and ifshlp.sys are broken, that there is no HMA, and that a load of Chicago/DOS programs aren't there.

Any suggestions as to how I can get it to work?

By the way, I do need the 800*600 display resolution :).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:48 am 
Donator

Holy crap man. It is a beta... a really early beta too. What did you actually expect was going to happen?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:18 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I supposed I expected it to work, somewhat. It's worked on other hardware I've put it on, and worked satisfactorily, but I couldn't fix the display so that I could get the 800*600 screen resolution.

I know that it's a really early pre-release version, and it was because of that that I asked. I was wondering if anyone reckons I can change/replace some files to make it work for me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:50 am 
Donator

Mark: I would suggest you try a new ISO. If you're sure the ISO you are using is working, then I'm not sure how you could fix this. Try the ISO in VirtualPC.

RentedMule:
Quote:
By the way, I do need the 800*600 display resolution :)

I wouldn't argue using reason, The above quote shows that Mark is on a mission.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:02 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
:) I just want to get it working. Think it'd be cool to get a working Chicago 56 laptop.

ChasingVertigo: There's only the one ISO available. I could ask the person who uploaded the image to the server in question for the original files, but there's still one problem: I can't use a CD - the machine only has a floppy drive. Yesterday, I spent 3 hours dividing the setup files into sets of 1.34MB each and writing, copying, deleting (you see, I can only find to disks, so while I'm copying from one, I'm copying to the other :P). I don't fancy doing all that again, if I can help it :).

I installed the ISO in VPC before anything else, and like I said, have also had it working on real hardware.I suppose I'm just unfortunate? :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:09 am 
Donator

Chicago 56? Where did you get it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I got it from another community. It's the same pretty much, as 58s, but slightly more stable, for some reason.

I'm just thinking of trying to get the laptop working with whatever the earliest build of Chicago is (so, when an older one comes out, I'll blitz it and out it on) and possibly some old software on it (say, MS-Office 4.3, VB 3, stuff like that), to play with. See if I can make it useful. From what I can see, all of the Chicago builds I've got are very stable, except 122, which doesn't have a working DOS box, and doesn't like booting cleanly, and 189, which seems to break at every oppurtunity.

Of course, when I finally get Build 34, That'll be going on the machine for good :).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
marktuson wrote:
and 189, which seems to break at every oppurtunity.
Actually, Chicago Build 189 always worked pretty well for me. I had it running on an old 486 that I built from used parts over a year ago. It worked better than any other build that I installed on that system.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:59 pm 
WinPC wrote:
Actually, Chicago Build 189 always worked pretty well for me. I had it running on an old 486 that I built from used parts over a year ago. It worked better than any other build that I installed on that system.
Except that it wouldn't detect and run a mouse :|
I just followed your sig, straight to that page.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
Dion wrote:
WinPC wrote:
Except that it wouldn't detect and run a mouse :|
I just followed your sig, straight to that page.
That mouse problem was not a problem with the Build, it had to do with the system itself. For some reason, with Windows for Workgroups 3.11, Chicago Build 73g, Chicago Build 122, Chciago Build 189, and Memphis Build 1532, I could never get the mouse to work, even when I had to replace the motherboard when the other one got damaged. I've used Chicago Build 189 on other systems that didn't have this problem, and the mouse always worked.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:34 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
marktuson wrote:
Of course, when I finally get Build 34, That'll be going on the machine for good :).

not to be that guy, but....

if you get build 34, share please? ive always prefered 3.11/9x/DOS era over nt, and that would be pretty awesome to have.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:04 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
If I get Build 34, it's most likely that everyone else will be able to get it too, as well :).

Top  Profile