Windows Georgia Builds (Not Bootable?)

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
4tified
Donator

Windows Georgia Builds (Not Bootable?)

Post by 4tified »

So I was scrolling through my list of Georgia builds when I noticed something that I had almost forgotten about...none of these builds are bootable! My question is, did they come like that or did someone extract the files (and not extract it as an image.) Anyone have any ideas?
Laptop: Precision M6300 2.4GHz Core 2 T8300 / 4GB RAM / 320GB HD / ATI Quadro FX 3600m
Server: PowerEdge 1950 (Gen III) (x1) 2.5Ghz Xeon E5420 / 24GB FB-DDR2 / 1.5tb 7.2k SAS RAID 0
Desktop: Precision T5500 2.66GHz Xeon X5650 / 24GB DDR3 ECC / 2x 300GB Seagate 15k7

Dion

Post by Dion »

All the millennium builds were released as upgrades, all upgrades in the win9x series
weren't made bootable.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

You can install them with a Windows 98 bootdisk.

First run Fdisk and Format, then copy the folder with the .cab files (all files) to a folder on C:\ and start setup as normal.

No need for Windwos 95/98.

4tified
Donator

Post by 4tified »

I already knew that I could perform a full setup after using a boot disc, but I didn't know that they were all meant as upgrades...weird. Thanks for the info.

Namronia

Post by Namronia »

also, georgia was the 2000/me GUI (theme) codename, ME's codename was "millennium"

4tified
Donator

Post by 4tified »

Namronia wrote:also, georgia was the 2000/me GUI (theme) codename, ME's codename was "millennium"
Ahh...true. I forgot about that. Ok, so all the Millenium beta's were upgrades...why did they decide to release a full Windows ME version?

Namronia

Post by Namronia »

btw, found another proof that me was codenamed "millennium"

unblestone

Post by unblestone »

Namronia wrote:btw, found another proof that me was codenamed "millennium"
That's no secret, it was always known as Millennium. Find a proof for the Georgia codename, because that's the one no one could link with ME so far.

Namronia

Post by Namronia »

unblestone wrote:
Namronia wrote:btw, found another proof that me was codenamed "millennium"
That's no secret, it was always known as Millennium. Find a proof for the Georgia codename, because that's the one no one could link with ME so far.
well, i just wanted to show that its NOT georgia, georgia was the 2000/me gui, but still many people think georgia was ME....

Dion

Post by Dion »

Namronia wrote:well, i just wanted to show that its NOT georgia, georgia was the 2000/me gui, but still many people think georgia was ME....
Do you have any references or links to show this is the gui codename.
I'd be interested in seeing them if you have, thanks.

Namronia

Post by Namronia »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Shell

and also on some other sites, but i have to search for them

unblestone

Post by unblestone »

Namronia wrote:georgia was the 2000/me gui, but still many people think georgia was ME....
And what is the source for that statement? The GUI was never meant to change much from Windows 98 (the new parts already had codenames), so why should it have got a different codename? And if that's what you think, then why do you still list Georgia as the codename for ME on your website?

I think no one was ever able to show some document from Microsoft that even mentions the Georgia codename. And as long as that doesn't change, everything is just pure (and waste) speculation.

Namronia

Post by Namronia »

unblestone wrote:
Namronia wrote:georgia was the 2000/me gui, but still many people think georgia was ME....
And what is the source for that statement? The GUI was never meant to change much from Windows 98 (the new parts already had codenames), so why should it have got a different codename? And if that's what you think, then why do you still list Georgia as the codename for ME on your website?

I think no one was ever able to show some document from Microsoft that even mentions the Georgia codename. And as long as that doesn't change, everything is just pure (and waste) speculation.
there were lots of changes, mainly the theme got less dark and more light, so its "friendlier", also the task pane from xp, which was introduced in neptune/me,
im sorry for that, i forget to update that, but its done now

well, i hope we can find one

unblestone

Post by unblestone »

If it doesn't give references, it's useless. That's the whole problem with Wikipedia anyway.

Namronia

Post by Namronia »

unblestone wrote:
If it doesn't give references, it's useless. That's the whole problem with Wikipedia anyway.
ok, thats right, but i think it would make sense that way...