BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 16h, 50m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 6040MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: What was the Win95 launch like?        Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:26 am 
Donator

For you guys old enough to remember it, what was the Windows 95 Advertising blitz like, did many people watch the launch?

Also, does anyone have any images of the CN Tower or Empire State Buildings with thier respective advertisments?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:13 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Wrp 3.0
Windows 95 had been running in the caroseulle (a slide projector) since 1993. so we pretty much knew what we were in for. Not with standing, it did not fare well against the current crop of operating systems. OS/2 2.1 and OS/2 3.0 were doing quite well.

Still, in the leadup to the release, there was talk of the year 'M', (a year which microsoft would buy to buy programming time).

The release was glitzy, but i largely ignored it. The usual of Windroids waiting at the shops overnight to get the 'first copy' (a feat i have done twice! [win 310 + OS2 4.51), and the usual claims that much of the current hardware would not cope with it. [it was claimed that 4MB would be enough to run it in: 8 MB was more realistic].

Of course, there was a plan to get a line from the then-current Rolling Stones hit "Start Me Up", but there is a wonderful parody of the song by the OS/2 crowd. This is memorable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQlKKGuT4a4

You should have been there!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:09 am 
Donator

There's a few videos about the launch on YouTube and Archive.org which are pretty good ... I think if you look on Archive.org for Computer Chronicles there's a video on the launch, but I never got around to downloading it to see if it was any good.

I wish I was there, it looks like it would have been awesome. :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:51 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:
There's a few videos about the launch on YouTube and Archive.org which are pretty good ... I think if you look on Archive.org for Computer Chronicles there's a video on the launch, but I never got around to downloading it to see if it was any good.

I wish I was there, it looks like it would have been awesome. :P
The Computer Chronicles video is also on YouTube. On YouTube, there's also lot's of Windows 95 Commercials. You can also find some information about the Windows 95 Launch on the Microsoft FTP, including some old WinNews articles.

Top  Profile  WWW